The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

Actually, they're taking Eichel off of the PP because he hasn't signed a new deal yet.

Let's keep that to the Eichel contract thread, thanks +sarcasm+

That was also one of Antipin's strengths from his time in Russia. Check out some of his youtube vids where he plays on the powerplay in the slot/net front. Crazy from a "defenseman".

I'll have to take a look, pre-season time is the worst time of year for me with the fiscal year ending, too busy to keep track of that stuff, now that October is here, i have wayyy more time.  I'll be watching video's of Antipin and the pre-season leading up to Thursday.

Back to Reinhart for a second.

I'm in full agreement with Dudacek's post about all of us under appreciating Sam's talent and contribution to this team. Sam is now our 3rd center (thankfully). I'd argue that Kadri was the top 3rd line center in the league last season since he played most of the season with Connor Brown and Komarov (he played 100% 5 on 5 w Komarov) and on the 2nd PP. He had a career year at 26 (he turns 27 this week) w 32 g 29a for 61 pts.

Prior to last season, Kadri's last 3 years were 45 pts, 39 and 50. At 22 he made a splash in the NHL scoring 44 pts in 48 games as a mid season callup. At 21 he put up 7 pts in 21 games. Kadri was the 7th overall pick in 2009.

Now lets compare to Reinhart. At 20 he was a full-time NHLer w 23g and 19a. At 21 17g 30a. Now at 22 he is finally being placed where he needs (for now) as our 3rd line center. Are Komarov and Brown really far superior players to Pommers and Pouliot? Brown is certainly younger and better then Pouliot, but Pouliot's numbers for the 3 seasons prior to last were very similar to Browns last season and Komarov's are less then Pommers.

Let's try to stay on topic here.

Eichel should be captain, but only on the power play.   5-on-5, ROR.    Shorthanded, Risto.    Shootout, Josefson.      OT,  Kane.

Hopefully the NHL will approve the new digital captain letters that the team requested.  That way they can change the letter based on the on-ice situation.

Yep.

W/ Reinhart getting completely demoted from either PP unit & no reports that Moulson was skating w/ the 1st unit? :lol: You funny.

When did Reinhart get moved off PP 1?

Back to Reinhart for a second.

I'm in full agreement with Dudacek's post about all of us under appreciating Sam's talent and contribution to this team. Sam is now our 3rd center (thankfully). I'd argue that Kadri was the top 3rd line center in the league last season since he played most of the season with Connor Brown and Komarov (he played 100% 5 on 5 w Komarov) and on the 2nd PP. He had a career year at 26 (he turns 27 this week) w 32 g 29a for 61 pts.

Prior to last season, Kadri's last 3 years were 45 pts, 39 and 50. At 22 he made a splash in the NHL scoring 44 pts in 48 games as a mid season callup. At 21 he put up 7 pts in 21 games. Kadri was the 7th overall pick in 2009.

Now lets compare to Reinhart. At 20 he was a full-time NHLer w 23g and 19a. At 21 17g 30a. Now at 22 he is finally being placed where he needs (for now) as our 3rd line center. Are Komarov and Brown really far superior players to Pommers and Pouliot? Brown is certainly younger and better then Pouliot, but Pouliot's numbers for the 3 seasons prior to last were very similar to Browns last season and Komarov's are less then Pommers.

Looks like he'll be playing with Girgensons, though. I think that could work.

When did Reinhart get moved off PP 1?

Looks like he'll be playing with Girgensons, though. I think that could work.

Reinhart didn't. The post was in response to one specuating that Moulson had been moved to the 1st PP unit.

He hasn't, but considering the only spot he'd be in REMOTE consideration for on the unit is the "stand in front of the net & deflect as many of Eichel's rockets as you can, hopefully on net" which is currently held by Sam, that would have to happen for Matt to move up. Don't worry, it won't.

Shrader's post was equally as realistic in reference to said OP. :lol:

:lol:

Seriously though, I don't recall hearing that Sam lost his powerplay spot. That would suck for him.

Wouldn't be that good for the rest of us either. ;)

Reinhart didn't. The post was in response to one specuating that Moulson had been moved to the 1st PP unit.

He hasn't, but considering the only spot he'd be in REMOTE consideration for on the unit is the "stand in front of the net & deflect as many of Eichel's rockets as you can, hopefully on net" which is currently held by Sam, that would have to happen for Matt to move up. Don't worry, it won't.

Shrader's post was equally as realistic in reference to said OP. :lol:

Wouldn't be that good for the rest of us either. ;)

Ah, ok. Cool beans, thanks for clarifying.

Ok here's the thing though. Housley wants an uptempo game. he wants this team to play a LOT faster than we've seen in the past. Everything will be geared towards doing this. So the top line is Eichel/Kane for sure and our success does depend a lot on how good Kane will be. Inconsistency and durability have been his issues so wait and see what happens. If he delivers it'll be a dynamic duo, if not, he'll be moved before the deadline in a full housleycleaning of this roster.

I honestly do not think Reinhart can play well at the top speed Housley wants BUT Housley will also need to roll lines to keep legs fresh so you won't see the ROR massive ice time numbers any more and he wants a third line that can compete, not just attempt to hold the score at 0-0 Bylsma style. So point being, look for what talent we have spread over lines rather than all on one line.

Kane-Eichel-Griffith

Okposo-ROR-Girgensens

pouliot-Reinhart-Pommer

Larson-Josefson-Nolan

Rodrigues will maybe get a chance to bump Griffith down the list if the top line doesn't work when he comes back. pouliot will also be replaced if he sucks bad.

And if Reinhart does not put up numbers on the 3rd line he will be traded.

Personally, I would leave him on the powerplay, because despite his lack of speed and physicality, he is a smart player who, given the time, makes good decisions so he can work on the PP better where things are maybe a little more deliberate, designed and open ice. Uptempo full strength is another story.

Can someone refresh my memory as to what kind of time/linemates Rodrigues was seeing prior to injury?

Didn't see him in a game, so not sure there.

On the 15th, he was skating w/ Pu & Smith. So it doesn't look like he was pencilled into a top 4 line at least on day 1.

I like the idea of McCabe with Antipin.  Antipin is kind of a wild card who is going to make some mistakes early.  It's smart to have a steady player paired with him to allow Vik to be part of the offense.  

Scandella with Tennyson to start seems logical as Phil and Jbot want to bring Marco back slowly until he is in full hockey condition and they know his hip is capable of handling big minutes.

However the top pair of Baloo and Risto kind of scares me.  Neither is exactly an in zone wizard.   

We ended up with 10 new players in the opening night roster, and as I said before not one from our pipeline.  Sad for a rebuilding team's farm system to produce nothing.  Boston by contract has 5.  

So the final list of new players:

Johnson, Tennyson, Baloo, Scandella, Antipin (2/3 of our D group), Griffith, Pominville, Pouliot, Nolan, and Josefson.  The broadcast said this was our greatest turnover in one season since the 1st season.   DD's system may have sucked, but clearly so did the roster executing that system.  It was also sad that nearly $9 mill in cap is being spent on 2 players who aren't good enough to make this revamped roster (Moulson and Gorges).  

We ended up with 10 new players in the opening night roster, and as I said before not one from our pipelineSad for a rebuilding team's farm system to produce nothing.  Boston by contract has 5.  

So the final list of new players:

Johnson, Tennyson, Baloo, Scandella, Antipin (2/3 of our D group), Griffith, Pominville, Pouliot, Nolan, and Josefson.  The broadcast said this was our greatest turnover in one season since the 1st season.   DD's system may have sucked, but clearly so did the roster executing that system.  It was also sad that nearly $9 mill in cap is being spent on 2 players who aren't good enough to make this revamped roster (Moulson and Gorges).  

I have addressed this so many times it hurts. Outside of 1st round picks, everyone else takes 3-5 years to see the NHL. Outside of the 2013 picks, we shoudn't expect players to jumping up. 2014 we traded away our 2nd round pick, 2015 we did the same.  Our farm system isn't going to turn out players until their are players to turn out. Right now we have Bailey and Baptiste as the only disappointing guys to start the year, and the year literally just started. 

I have addressed this so many times it hurts. Outside of 1st round picks, everyone else takes 3-5 years to see the NHL. Outside of the 2013 picks, we shoudn't expect players to jumping up. 2014 we traded away our 2nd round pick, 2015 we did the same.  Our farm system isn't going to turn out players until their are players to turn out. Right now we have Bailey and Baptiste as the only disappointing guys to start the year, and the year literally just started. 

GA can certainly speak for himself, but I don't think his point was that GMTM's drafts didn't produce a good pipeline -- it was that the Sabres' pipeline stinks, including the parts of it produced by both GMTM and DR -- since there was a ton of turnover from a lousy roster, and none of it came from drafted players.