The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

With camp under way and the first preseason game in the books anyone willing to take a shot at the opening night roster?

The goaltenders are easy: Lehner and Johnson. They are written in ink, unless someone gets hurt and then Ullmark is likely recalled.

Defense: do we carry 7 or 8 and what are the pairings? The top 6 are likely already set with McCabe, Risto, Bogo, Beaulieu, Antipin and Scandella. I like the following pairings

McCabe Risto

Scandella Antipin

Beaulieu Bogosian

Bogosian Tennyson

Gorges and Falk have NHL deals and are the most experienced of the remaining contenders, but are more phyiscal players and both are LD, which IMHO works against them. Tennyson and Fedun are R shots D and Fedun can move the puck. Guhle is the hot prospects, but needs pro experience and with this roster no reason to rush him. Goloubef is a RD vet on a PTO, but i'm not sure what he adds over Tennyson. Lastly Nelson is a RD puck mover with a good pedigree in college and should do well in Housley's system. Jbot likely wants him to play, so like Guhle, he;ll likely start in Roch.

Last two slots go to Gorges and Tennyson? (Tennyson and Falk are each getting paid 650K for this season, but Tennyson is on a 2 yr deal). I'd prefer to dump Gorges and keep Falk.

Forwards: 9 locks - Sam, Jack, KO, ROR, Pommers, Larsson, Girgensons, Pouliot, Kane, with 3 slots up for grabs.

Pouliot ROR KO

Girgensons Jack Pominville

Kane Reinhart Bailey?

Moulson Larsson Fasching?

ERod?

Those two RW slots are really interesting with Griffith, Bailey, Baptiste, EROD, and Fasching all fighting for them. My instinct says Bailey and Fasching. Big heavy players with scoring skills. Bailey adds speed. Griffith reminds me of AAAA Chris Taylor. ERod is a swift utility forward. Delo loses the 13th forward slot to ERod.

Edited by GASabresFan

With camp under way and the first preseason game in the books anyone willing to take a shot at the opening night roster?

The goaltenders are easy: Lehner and Johnson.  They are written in ink, unless someone gets hurt and then Ullmark is likely recalled.

Defense:  do we carry 7 or 8 and what are the pairings?  The top 6 are likely already set with McCabe, Risto, Bogo, Beaulieu, Antipin and Scandella.  I like the following pairings

McCabe Risto

Scandella Antipin

Beaulieu Bogosian

Bogosian Tennyson

Gorges and Falk have NHL deals and are the most experienced of the remaining contenders, but are more phyiscal players and both are LD, which IMHO works against them.  Tennyson and Fedun are R shots D and Fedun can move the puck.  Guhle is the hot prospects, but needs pro experience and with this roster no reason to rush him.  Goloubef is a RD vet on a PTO, but i'm not sure what he adds over Tennyson.  Lastly Nelson is a RD puck mover with a good pedigree in college and should do well in Housley's system.  Jbot likely wants him to play, so like Guhle, he;ll likely start in Roch.

Last two slots go to Gorges and Tennyson? (Tennyson and Falk are each getting paid 650K for this season, but Tennyson is on a 2 yr deal).  I'd prefer to dump Gorges and keep Falk.

Forwards: 9 locks  - Sam, Jack, KO, ROR, Pommers, Larsson, Girgensons, Pouliot, Kane, with 3 slots up for grabs.

Pouliot ROR KO

Girgensons Jack Pominville

Kane Reinhart Bailey?

Moulson Larsson Fasching?

ERod?

Those two RW slots are really interesting with Griffith, Bailey, Baptiste, EROD, and Fasching all fighting for them. My instinct says Bailey and Fasching.  Big heavy players with scoring skills.  Bailey adds speed.  Griffith reminds me of AAAA Chris Taylor.  ERod is a swift utility forward.  Delo loses the 13th forward slot to ERod. 

I'm that's a sick burn calling Gorges Bogo. Or maybe you're calling Bogo Gorges. Either way, nice! :)

^ :lol:

--

I think Josefsson starts on the 4th line over Moulson. I think of the 3 extra players we carry, 2 will be forwards: Could be Moulson, Rodrigues, and Gorges.

Other than that your guess looks to be quite accurate.

Edited by Thorny

If we were to start tomorrow?

Based on what we've seen and Housley has said:

Kane Eichel X

Girgensons O'Reilly Okposo

Pouliot Y Z

Josefson Larson Fasching

Deslauriers Moulson

Pominville is X or Z

Reinhart and ERod are X, Y or Z

McCabe Risto

Scandella Bogo

Beaulieu Gorges

Antipin

I hope and expect Antipin to pass Gorges by the end of camp.

Pouliot - Reinhart - Rodrigues

Intruiging.

How's Pominville's defensive play, these days? Pouliot - Reinhart - Pominville may be a little more defensively stable. But if that's our 3rd line, it's going to be used for offensive mismatches against the lower skill lines of other teams, so the version with E-Rod could be enticing.

Edited by Thorny

Why do you think that 90 year old broken Moulson is going to be the one to break the Sabres' six year streak without a thirty goal scorer?

Gut feel.  And like I said above.  I'm crazy.  For those who haven't noticed yet....you know all that analytics that everyone's into these days?  I'll have none of it.  I'm a Luddite.  And I like to just throw out there because once or twice I'll be right and I'll look like a hockey savant.  (13,000 posts in... I think I'm due to hit one.)

Why do you think that 90 year old broken Moulson is going to be the one to break the Sabres' six year streak without a thirty goal scorer?

He won't be that guy... because when he gets there Eichel and Kane will already be at 40 and 35.

(I'd add an emoji but I can't on mobile)

The Pommer, Kane, Eichel line looked good tonite... wonder if it sticks, plus Wowie seemed to like Tennison... Antipin had a rough nite... wonder if he is 7th man, Tennison is 6th with Beaulieu 5th, Risto Scandella 1-2, Bogo McCabe 4-3... ROR and Ok with Girgenson, Reinhardt, Pulliot and Fasching. Bailey, Larry and Joefeson or Erod instead of Bailey not sure. Moulson in Rochester with Gorges or carried for 1st ten games to see how team meshes?