New #Sabres  lines at practice:

Girgensons-Eichel-Pominville

Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Larsson-Reinhart

Griffith-Josefson-Nolan

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Tennyson

McCabe-Gorges

Antipin & Moulson skating as a pair as well.

Reinhart may not be a third line center, but he is definitely not a third line winger

Flip Pommers and Reinhart and let's go

So, they finally put Scandella & Ristolainen together but somehow decide Beaulieu & Tennyson isn't a disaster waiting to happen?

I get giving Gorges a look - you give up 13 goals in 2 games, something needs to change but Tennyson's indecision combined w/ Beaulieu's issues are not confidence inducing. McCabe to 3rd pairing & Antipin right out of the lineup. Would've kept Jake & Victor together but slid Tennyson or Beaulieu to the bench in the "shakeup" move. Guess they figure McCabe can cover for Gorges lack of speed.

Aside: how long before this board's collective head explodes at Reinhart off the PP altogether & taking shifts as a checking W?

@JourdonLaBarber

Phil Housley said Robin Lehner is OK after taking a shot to the mask in practice. Zach Bogosian is not expected to make the trip to San Jose. #Sabres

@JourdonLaBarber

New units on the power play as well:

Unit 1: Eichel-Kane-Pominville-O'Reilly-Ristolainen

Unit 2: Griffith-Okposo-Pouliot-Beaulieu-Tennyson

@JourdonLaBarber
Phil Housley said Robin Lehner is OK after taking a shot to the mask in practice. Zach Bogosian is not expected to make the trip to San Jose. #Sabres

@JourdonLaBarber
New units on the power play as well:
Unit 1: Eichel-Kane-Pominville-O'Reilly-Ristolainen
Unit 2: Griffith-Okposo-Pouliot-Beaulieu-Tennyson

If that PP lineup doesn't scream "No SHG against" I don't know what does.

Alarming to me is no Reinhart on either unit and Tennyson on the PP point. Really? Tennyson?! :unsure:

I'm okay with these changes.  It's still a feeling out process and I think it's methodical.

Moving Reinhart to W allows for some flexibility.  I would think that if Okposo can't find some O soon then you might see Reinhart bump up there or even to the top line and then watch Pominville move to ROR's line, etc.  Having Reinhart at C required you to then move ROR and a winger to make things work.

The D?  Gorges has to play now.  Gorges is not as BAD as what we've seen.  Antipin being out is interesting to me.  I'd bet Beaulieu/Tennyson see about 10 minutes of ice time... max.  Scandella/Risto - 30 minutes and the McCabe/Gorge - 20 minutes...

I'd bet Beaulieu/Tennyson see about 10 minutes of ice time... max.  Scandella/Risto - 30 minutes and the McCabe/Gorge - 20 minutes...

Recipe for disaster.

I don't favor Tennyson over Antipin.

Antipin out over Beaulieu is mind boggling to me.

The only reason I can see doing that is if they want to give Antipin up in the press box with a coach to point out positioning to him.

Recipe for disaster.

The only reason I can see doing that is if they want to give Antipin up in the press box with a coach to point out positioning to him.

They already have disaster.  Could it get worse?  Possibly.  But it's hard to say so far that it's not already a disaster.

One other thought:  Is there another practice tomorrow?  Maybe that will be a better indicator of who will play and where for tomorrow night's game.

They already have disaster.  Could it get worse?  Possibly.  But it's hard to say so far that it's not already a disaster.

Burning out Risto and Scandella early by playing them 30 minutes a game is the disaster I was thinking of.

They've had a couple bad games.  Burn out Risto and Scandella and we'll be guaranteed a bad season defensively.

Take a look at the new PP then tell me how you feel

The PP lines I 'like' are the ones that gave up 4 SHG in the first 3 games, so I'm not going to get on Phil for changing them. 

I think Larsson is more effective at C than he is at W, so I like that move. If we go Sam-to-wing, I'd stack two lines and do

Kane - ROR - Reinhart

Girgensons - Eichel - Okposo 

Griffith - Larsson - Pominville 

the rest

The PP lines I 'like' are the ones that gave up 4 SHG in the first 3 games, so I'm not going to get on Phil for changing them.

I think Larsson is more effective at C than he is at W, so I like that move. If we go Sam-to-wing, I'd stack two lines and do

Kane - ROR - Reinhart

Girgensons - Eichel - Okposo

Griffith - Larsson - Pominville

the rest

This is pretty mich what I have been advocating all along.

Recipe for disaster.

If they want him to learn by watching they should play another game on the tv (Minnesota, Anaheim, Nashville, etc.) in the press box. He's not going to learn how to play the right way watching our guys.

Interesting stat:  In the first three games, only 6 Sabres (5 forwards and Risto) have recorded at least one point.  The players with the most points and the best +/- are Kane and Pommer.  If you're trying to stack two lines, Pomminstein doesn't go on the 3rd line.

If they want him to learn by watching they should play another game on the tv (Minnesota, Anaheim, Nashville, etc.) in the press box. He's not going to learn how to play the right way watching our guys.

I see your point, but I also think bad examples can be good teaching moments.

Interesting stat: In the first three games, only 6 Sabres (5 forwards and Risto) have recorded at least one point. The players with the most points and the best +/- are Kane and Pommer. If you're trying to stack two lines, Pomminstein doesn't go on the 3rd line.

Agreed. I'd put Pommer on his off wing and puy Z on the 3rd line. Pominville often switched wing with Vanek. He did fine.

Agreed. I'd put Pommer on his off wing and puy Z on the 3rd line. Pominville often switched wing with Vanek. He did fine.

I'd go for this too, though I'd worry a little about the footspeed of each guy. I like to have one guy who skates very well with those two (well, fast - Zem's edges are scary)

Though Pominville and Okposo are smart enough that it probably wouldn't be a big deal.