The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

That's just revisionist history. Major questions about draisaitl and his speed

The top 3 forwards in the 2014 draft were all ranked on top of one another at the time. It was a coin flip

It's not revisionist history to state that Murray knew he needed a center and not a wing.  It was obvious at the time.

Prior to Reinhart what did our center depth look like? Hdgsn, Leino, and Larsson?

Players who sometimes played at the center position in the season prior to that draft:

Adam

Conacher

Ennis 

Girgensons

Grigorenko

Hodgson

Konopka

McCormick

Ott

Porter

Varone

Of course, some of those were traded before the season even ended, and weren't even on the roster at the time of the draft.

It was obvious that Murray was going to pick either Bennett or Reinhart.  I believe to this day that had the Sabres won the lottery, Murray would have traded down because he didn't need a defenseman as badly as he needed a center.

I am as skeptical about Nylander — mostly because he was a GMTM selection — as the next guy, but I think it’s too early to tell yet. He missed a few months, including all of camp with a new coach and new system, with what seems like a pretty significant injury and is just getting back.

I think we need to see how he looks in, say, the last 20 games or so of the AHL season before coming to any conclusions.

Now Reino, OTOH...

1) Can you expand? 

It's not revisionist history to state that Murray knew he needed a center and not a wing.  It was obvious at the time.

2) Draisaitl is / was  a natural centre. hence the nickname "german gretzky" 

Edited by Crusader1969

He did draft for need as well, hence Reinhart over Draisatl.

That's just revisionist history. Major questions about draisaitl and his speed The top 3 forwards in the 2014 draft were all ranked on top of one another at the time. It was a coin flip

To my recollection Draisaitl was viewed as a centre in his draft year.

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres lines this morning:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Pouliot-O’Reilly-Okposo

Nolan-Josefson-Rodrigues

Girgensons-Larsson-Reinhart

Fasching, Wilson extras

Scandella-Ristolainen

Beaulieu-Bogosian

McCabe-Antipin

Gorges-Falk

My gosh, Reinhart on the 4th line. What's the point? He's not good enough to do anything there, and they are lowering any remaining trade value he has by leaving him on a bottom line.

If they don't want him in a scoring line role, they should have traded him already.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

To my recollection Draisaitl was viewed as a centre in his draft year.

My gosh, Reinhart on the 4th line. What's the point? He's not good enough to do anything there, and they are lowering any remaining trade value he has by leaving him on a bottom line.

If they don't want him in a scoring line role, they should have traded him already.

First: yes, me to. It was Ekblad, and they something of a toss-up for the Sams and Draisaitl, with the latter almost never included in the conversation of the #2 pick. Hindsight and all.

The quoted post is useless. :)

Oh, it's useful. Someone needs to point out this bad SS habit once in a while. I was off the board all summer, but when I did glance at the thread titles when on the news page, I was hardly tempted to click, because the titles were so generic.

We have 700+ posts about how much Kane should get and I haven't posted in it once. It started back in July. Is it possible the discussion has taken an interesting turn since then and that discussion should have its own thread?

Lineup thread. Blah. A new thread for each new lineup? Absolutely.

I honestly do not remember Draisatl being projected as an NHL center.  CSS from 2014 says I'm wrong.  Why do I remember him being projected as a wing only?

It was almost 4 years ago and we shouldn't pay that much attention to what an 18yr old kid is projected to be let alone remember it after so much time. 

Oh, it's useful. Someone needs to point out this bad SS habit once in a while. I was off the board all summer, but when I did glance at the thread titles when on the news page, I was hardly tempted to click, because the titles were so generic.

We have 700+ posts about how much Kane should get and I haven't posted in it once. It started back in July. Is it possible the discussion has taken an interesting turn since then and that discussion should have its own thread?

Lineup thread. Blah. A new thread for each new lineup? Absolutely.

I'm agreeing with PA. Wait. Wha?