The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

I UNDERSTAND. I thought they might let the Americans play tonight as is to assess them as well without reinforcements from guys like Bailey.

They didn't need to assess the Amerks to make this decision; I don't think it's about what the Amerks need or don't need.  If Bailey weren't exempt from waivers, he'd be in the NHL, period.  This way, the Sabres get to keep two guys instead of one.

So Griffith, Josefson, Nolan and ERod are all ahead of Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching.

It's too early to give up on Fasching, but if Bailey and Baptiste don't have more than a cup of coffee in Buffalo this year, it will be time to assume that they aren't ever going to do so.

I guess that also means that if Reino is going to be the #3C, it will probably be with Pouliot and ERod or Griffith as his wingers.

Yeeeeeeeesssshhhh.

In the 3rd Griffith seemed to have the speed to play with Eichel. Could move Pommer to 3rd line.

It seem consistent with Botterill's philosophy of making the kids earn their spots.

Griffith was better than Bailey last year and probably better than Bailey in camp.

I'm glad Falk made it and Antipin deserved (as opposed to was gifted) his shot.

My question is what happens when to Gorges when Scandella and McCabe are back?

The two guys above are clearly better, and Tennyson may have been too.

The Sabres have 27 players on the active roster still. Which means 4 will have to be on IR if we still have this many when the season starts. That's gotta be McCabe, Malone, Nylander, and Rodrigues. I honestly think McCabe is the only one that projects to be on the main roster, at least at first (Rodrigues probably goes back for an AHL stint at least, when healthy).

So, when McCabe gets back, one of Gorges, Falk, or Tennyson will have to be sent to Rochester. All 3 could potentially be playing on Thursday, depending on Scandella and Bogosian, as well.

Moulson is probably the 13th forward right now.

Edited by Thorny

Please let this happen.

Seconded.

I’d love to see the high-scoring AHL guy get a shot with Eichel and make the most of it.

And I have to think Pommer would be more effective against lower-tier opposition than against the other team’s top line.

As far as that goes, it seems like Eichel’s line has spent a lot of time in the defensive zone so far, bottled up by the opponent’s top line and giving up a lot of opportunities.

It hasn't nothing to do with last year. You don't like Larsson that's the issue. He's better than Moulson, Deslauriers, and Baptiste easily. Why not waive a worse player? Larsson last night was one of the better players out there. Certainly better than Moulson.

Further it isn't a salary issue. Larsson makes next to nothing. 1.48 mil I think and he's 25. Half the league could fit him under their cap.

Easy there, I never said I didn't like Larsson. I figured him for 4th line center when this camp opened but his camp has been less than I thought it would be so all I was saying is it wouldn't surprise me if Housley didn't want him. There are 4th liners who have looked better.  

Maybe you didn't see that post, but earlier I said "if Moulson is in the opening night line up we definitely will not make the playoffs". Never said anything bad about Larsson. 

Biggest stiff/disappointment of this camp has been imo Pouliot. Absolute rubbish.

As for Bailey, they gave him every chance, He didn't seize the opportunity.Not sure he has the drive or desire to ever take the step forward. If he doesn't this year, forget him.

Not surprised about DesLaurier, Nolan is a 4th liner too, but he is faster and probably slightly more skilled. Fighters are a thing of the past.

In general, they went for speed which is what I predicted from the start and will continue to be the case in the future. 

With another 4 guys sent down we are down to the final roster plus injured players

13 forwards: Returnees: Jack, Sam, ROR, Okposo, Kane, Girgensons, Larsson, and sadly Moulson.  New Faces: Pommers, Pouliot, Josefson, Griffith and Nolan.  Gone from last year(based on games played): Gionta, Foligno, Ennis, Delo, Carrier and Grant

9 Defensemen: Returnees: Risto, Bogo, McCabe (IR), Gorges and Falk.  New Faces: Beaulieu, Scandella, Antipin and Tennyson.  When McCabe returns one of Gorges, Falk or Tennyson will be waived.  Gone: Kulikov, Franson, plus Falk and Gorges gone from starter to 7th D or less.

Goalies: Returnee: Lehner New Face: Johnson  Gone:Nilsson

I predicted in another thread at the beginning of the off-season that we'd have major roster upheaval with 10 or more players from last year's roster gone.  We got close.  9 new faces are making the team and not one is a promotion from our AHL team.  Trades (Beaulieu, Pominville and Scandella), Waivers (Nolan), UFA signings (Tennyson, Griffith, Johnson, Josefson, and Pouliot).  Had any of the AHL forwards exploded in camp, I think Moulson would have also been shown the door.  When McCabe gets back healthy, I'm still hopeful Gorges gets sent down.

We'll probably know soon who the guy getting sent down when McCabe comes back is. It'll be a LHD so either Gorges or Falk. Whoever isn't playing in the top 6 between the two in practice tomorrow, that's my guess for who goes down.

Sad to see DLo waived, the guy gives max effort. Hopefully gets claimed or down to Roch. I wasn't impressed that Nolan did anything better.

I expect Moulson will be the extra forward that will play occasionally, like Gorges on D when all are healthy. Purely contract-cap reasons to keep them.

Usually 4th line players with little talent give max effort. They can't afford to be lazy

With another 4 guys sent down we are down to the final roster plus injured players

13 forwards: Returnees: Jack, Sam, ROR, Okposo, Kane, Girgensons, Larsson, and sadly Moulson. New Faces: Pommers, Pouliot, Josefson, Griffith and Nolan. Gone from last year(based on games played): Gionta, Foligno, Ennis, Delo, Carrier and Grant

9 Defensemen: Returnees: Risto, Bogo, McCabe (IR), Gorges and Falk. New Faces: Beaulieu, Scandella, Antipin and Tennyson. When McCabe returns one of Gorges, Falk or Tennyson will be waived. Gone: Kulikov, Franson, plus Falk and Gorges gone from starter to 7th D or less.

Goalies: Returnee: Lehner New Face: Johnson Gone:Nilsson

I predicted in another thread at the beginning of the off-season that we'd have major roster upheaval with 10 or more players from last year's roster gone. We got close. 9 new faces are making the team and not one is a promotion from our AHL team. Trades (Beaulieu, Pominville and Scandella), Waivers (Nolan), UFA signings (Tennyson, Griffith, Johnson, Josefson, and Pouliot). Had any of the AHL forwards exploded in camp, I think Moulson would have also been shown the door. When McCabe gets back healthy, I'm still hopeful Gorges gets sent down.

"Not one is a promotion from our ahl team"

How disappointing is that?

Edited by We've

Disappointing, yes. Surprising, nope. Rochester has sucked for years. Have they made the playoffs since they've been back with the sabres? I don't think so, right? The players not being any good has been a big part of that.

It is either further proof that Regier sucked at evaluating and developing talent and/or ex-GMTM was just as bad or both.  I tend to think both and ex-GMTM had the added afflication of dumping prospects so that he could acquire over priced vets to destroy our cap flexibility.  

Not exactly.  Had Fasching, Baptiste and/or Bailey earned a slot, they'd still be in Buffalo and we would have risked sending someone like Josefson down

I don't think so.  This is the best way to protect two players.

Just reading this roster, which isn't all that good, less than 4 million below the cap - that will be a problem too if they can't ditch something soon.

Why? Why is being 4 mil below the cap a problem for a team with all it's players signed? Explain it.

Not exactly. Had Fasching, Baptiste and/or Bailey earned a slot, they'd still be in Buffalo and we would have risked sending someone like Josefson down

Fasching looked good in the Americans game last night. Really solid. He needs a full year of AHL and then we'll see.

Just reading this roster, which isn't all that good, less than 4 million below the cap - that will be a problem too if they can't ditch something soon.

Why? Why is being 4 mil below the cap a problem for a team with all it's players signed? Explain it.

Fasching looked good in the Americans game last night. Really solid. He needs a full year of AHL and then we'll see.

They're currently $6.74 million under the cap.  Gorges' 3.9 comes off the books.  You can safely assume the entirety of this money is going to Eichel effective next year.  Samson will also be due a raise. Something's going to have to give.  It may well be, assuming Matty Mo cant be shifted or is bought out (shudders) either Kane or Sam.  IMHO.

Addendum: Also, Lehner is going to need a contract again, who knows how that ends up?  If less than stellar he could feasibly me moved on as well.  Then JBOT needs at least one more goalie, depending upon Ullmark's progression. 

The bottom 6 is still an issue. Was really hoping one or two of the young guys would shine in camp.... didn't happen. For that reason I don't see playoffs as a possibility this season.

When guys like Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste blossom into legit NHL players, then we can talk playoffs. Instead we're stuck with a steaming pile that is Moulson, Larsson, Pouliot, Josefson, and Griffith... mostly journeymen type guys who do anything particularly well.

Edited by pi2000