The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

While they're the only ones scoring goals, the only goal where one had anything to do with the other scoring is the shorty, and we can still keep them out as the penalty kill duo for the last 20 seconds or so.

So they have had a hand in 1 goal for each other, but they've been on the ice for 5 or 6 against, I believe. As our problem lately has been keeping the puck out of the net, why is is such a ludicrous idea to try and spread the scoring around while breaking up a duo that has proven in the past to have abominable goals-against numbers while on the ice, and is continuing that trend this year?

This is the same thing I pointed to when I went back and looked at the highlight reels for both of them last year. Kane and Eichel don't really contribute anything to the other in terms of goal scoring. Most of the time they're just doing their own thing and every now and then it works that they sync up. But for the most part they may as well have no idea the other guy is there. Basically zero chemistry. 

This is the same thing I pointed to when I went back and looked at the highlight reels for both of them last year. Kane and Eichel don't really contribute anything to the other in terms of goal scoring. Most of the time they're just doing their own thing and every now and then it works that they sync up. But for the most part they may as well have no idea the other guy is there. Basically zero chemistry. 

Combine the fact that the Brian Gibbons line out-possessed them 80% to 20% and that Kane will score at his rate no matter who he's with, I don't see why we wouldn't try to jump start two lines by splitting them up. 

Combine the fact that the Brian Gibbons line out-possessed them 80% to 20% and that Kane will score at his rate no matter who he's with, I don't see why we wouldn't try to jump start two lines by splitting them up. 

I don't buy the idea of spreading the scoring out. I don't think it generally works.

I don't really see this as a spreading the scoring issue anyway. It's about getting two players away from each other who have no chemistry. 

I don't buy the idea of spreading the scoring out. I don't think it generally works.

What about the idea of breaking apart a pair that bleeds goals against when together? Two years of data shows no real uptick in offense when they are on the ice together, but a very real increase in offense against.

:huh:

Pretty sure thst's what my post said. :unsure:

EDIT: Ah, OK, the one that Eichel stole was the 2nd SHG. Thanks! :beer:

Eichel stole the 1st SH goal. ROR passed to Kane on the second. Kane's third goal was that amazing PP individual effort, then he had an ES marker (again an individual effort) for goal 4.

While they're the only ones scoring goals, the only goal where one had anything to do with the other scoring is the shorty, and we can still keep them out as the penalty kill duo for the last 20 seconds or so.

So they have had a hand in 1 goal for each other, but they've been on the ice for 5 or 6 against, I believe. As our problem lately has been keeping the puck out of the net, why is is such a ludicrous idea to try and spread the scoring around while breaking up a duo that has proven in the past to have abominable goals-against numbers while on the ice, and is continuing that trend this year?

This isn't strictly true. On Pominville's 2nd of the season, off the brilliant pass from Jack, a big reason that pass had a clear lane to get through was due to the space Kane created by driving to the front of the net.

They also both assisted on the goal.

Edited by Thorny

Say what you want about Gorges, but how many times did he fail to cover the passer on a 2 on 1? How many short handed goals was he directly responsible for?

To be fair, you have to be on a powerplay to be responsible for a shorthanded goal. So the answer is probably 0, but that really isn't valid.

New #Sabres  lines at practice:

Girgensons-Eichel-Pominville

Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Larsson-Reinhart

Griffith-Josefson-Nolan

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Tennyson

McCabe-Gorges

Antipin & Moulson skating as a pair as well.

Reinhart may not be a third line center, but he is definitely not a third line winger

Flip Pommers and Reinhart and let's go

Line 3 is obviously more of a traditiona 3rd line, but I'm not sure Poulliot is good for that role.

Then again, has he been good for any role in the 1st 3 games?

It's definitely a mixed bag. I'm just happy to see Kane away from Eichel. That's all I want. 

New #Sabres  lines at practice:

Girgensons-Eichel-Pominville

Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Larsson-Reinhart

Griffith-Josefson-Nolan

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Tennyson

McCabe-Gorges

Antipin & Moulson skating as a pair as well.

Reinhart may not be a third line center, but he is definitely not a third line winger

Flip Pommers and Reinhart and let's go

Still 5 players away, minimum. Every time I see that lineup, I realize why this team is as bad as they are. I don't even know what to think of the defense but man, that offense is terrible.

Sabres lines in practice per Bill Hoppe

#Sabres lines:

Girgensons-Eichel-Pommer

Kane-ROR-Okposo

Pouliot-Larsson-Reinhart

Nolan-Josefson-Griffith

Not QUITE what I was hoping for but there are 3 items that should help a lot: giving Eichel a winger not named Kane that will be the line's primary mucker so that he'll now be on a traditional grinder-playmaker-finisher line;

moving Larsson back to C; (Larsson is at least twice the player when at C rather than W.) &

getting Moulson back to the press box.

Now, if they can get Beaulieu away from the top pairing (Bogosian better be healthy, otherwise 3rd pairing is a disater waiting to happen of Beaulieu & Tennyson), they may be onto something.

Not sold

4 forwards and at least 1 stud D... imo Would love to see Girgenson on fourth line checking, Pommer on third, keep Larrson or not fourth line center... and lose Pouliot, Moulson, Griffith and Josefson.. Cant wait to see Middlestadt and Asplund up... Weissbach is interesting too... Pu possibly.