The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

It's not quite panic time yet.

KO is a good scoring winger and Pommer looks like he can still be one as well.  Zemgus has shown offensive ability in the past, and Griffith has been a good AHL-level scorer.

Once ROR, Reino and KO show up -- and I think they will -- the scoring winger issue will be much less urgent.

If Reinhart does go back to wing:

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Girgensons - O'Reilly - Okposo

Pouliot - Larsson - Pominville

Nolan - Josefson - Griffith

---

Maybe moving up to 1st line RW sparks Sam (3gp, 0g, 0a, -6), and we get a truly consistent first line. Hopefully ROR starts figuring it out at 2C. Gets Larsson back to C where he can go back to being a pestering, defensive-matchup centre. Let line 4 buzz around with speed.

Edited by Thorny

If Reinhart does go back to wing:

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Girgensons - O'Reilly - Okposo

Pouliot - Larsson - Pominville

Nolan - Josefson - Griffith

---

Maybe moving up to 1st line RW sparks Sam (3gp, 0g, 0a, -6), and we get a truly consistent first line. Hopefully ROR starts figuring it out at 2C. Gets Larsson back to C where he can go back to being a pestering, defensive-matchup centre. Let line 4 buzz around with speed.

I'm forcing guys to off-wings.

Okposo-Eichel-Pominville

Kane-O'Reilly-Reinhart

Girgensons-Larsson-Pouliot

Nolan-Josefson-Griffith

If Reinhart at C lasts three games, I may have a seizure. I know patience is the last thing in the known universe anyone wants to hear right now, but he's still crushing the possession numbers when he's on the ice. Let's give it some time to start turning into scoring (unless you're about to argue the grade-A chances he's whiffed on would magically have gone in the net if he were a winger).

If Reinhart at C lasts three games, I may have a seizure. I know patience is the last thing in the known universe anyone wants to hear right now, but he's still crushing the possession numbers when he's on the ice. Let's give it some time to start turning into scoring (unless you're about to argue the grade-A chances he's whiffed on would magically have gone in the net if he were a winger).

I'll worry about the third line scoring when the other two start. We're missing a piece in that top six and I don't know who else to put there.

This is why I wanted Vanek.

I'm forcing guys to off-wings.

Okposo-Eichel-Pominville

Kane-O'Reilly-Reinhart

Girgensons-Larsson-Pouliot

Nolan-Josefson-Griffith

That could work.

Gotta think that gives Eichel all the chance in the world for success, and the 2nd line would be dangerous with current Kane and the better versions of Sam and Ryan.

I might switch Griffith and Pouliot. Griffith is a smarter player and I'd be more comfortable with Larsson's line getting more minutes with him on it.

But other that that, I like the lineup you posted more than the one I did.

That could work.

Gotta think that gives Eichel all the chance in the world for success, and the 2nd line would be dangerous with current Kane and the better versions of Sam and Ryan.

I might switch Griffith and Pouliot. Griffith is a smarter player and I'd be more comfortable with Larsson's line getting more minutes with him on it.

But other that that, I like the lineup you posted more than the one I did.

My goal is to get smart players with Eichel. I like Kane's effort level but he's a pretty dumb player. I liked what I saw from Okposo and Eichel on the power play last year and I like Pommers with Jack as well.

If we're talking the last two games, I'd say we're missing five pieces there :p

Give me a few weeks and this might not be a joke :blush:

I still want Sam at C for a few more games. I'm not giving up on it just yet. We may get there though.

My preference w/ this forward grouping still would be more along the lines of

Girgensons - Eichel - Griffith

Pouliot - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Reinhart - Pominville

Nolan - Larsson - Josefson

but, if it might give O'Reilly a chance to wake up, run w/

O'Reilly - Eichel - Pominville

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

Girgensons - Larsson - Griffith

Pouliot - Josefson - Nolan.

Though truthfully, just getting the PP to net 1-2 goals / game w/ 0 against would be huge for getting their heads on straight. Add in 0 5-6 D on the top pairing & this could work.

Edited by Taro T

I feel like I'm the only noticing how many chances his line generates.

O'Reilly playing second fiddle to Eichel makes so much sense to me. I think it'd do him a world of good to not have to be the best player on his line. It wouldn't hurt Jack to have some real help in the D-zone, either.

Maybe flip Kane and Girgensons.

Nah. Kane is good there. Girgensons needs to find the net with some of his shots first. He's close, but not as close as Kane.

If Housley wants to roll three effective lines he needs to give Kane his own line. Larsson and Kane together are a nightmare for the other team.

Nah. Kane is good there. Girgensons needs to find the net with some of his shots first. He's close, but not as close as Kane.

My heart does still desire some Kane/Samson action.

If Housley wants to roll three effective lines he needs to give Kane his own line. Larsson and Kane together are a nightmare for the other team.

My heart does still desire some Kane/Samson action.

Until Eichel & O'Reilly get going, that's true. But what message are they sending to Kane to not only take him off the Eichel line but then give him a C that's been playing W on the 4th line?

They just can't do that IMHO.

and Kane has 4 goals

At least 1 of which Eichel wasn't on the ice for (1st SH goal) & at least 1 other (his PP goal) that Eichel wasn't involved in the play on. Can't recall if Eichel was out for the other SH goal but don't believe he was. If he was out for it, believe he got the assist, but want to say that was O'Reilly.

And Kane's 4th goal was the steal off the goalie by Eichel to Kane in front w/ no goalie. They did work together on the play, but neither guy "created space" for the other.

At least 1 of which Eichel wasn't on the ice for (1st SH goal) & at least 1 other (his PP goal) that Eichel wasn't involved in the play on. Can't recall if Eichel was out for the other SH goal but don't believe he was. If he was out for it, believe he got the assist, but want to say that was O'Reilly.

And Kane's 4th goal was the steal off the goalie by Eichel to Kane in front w/ no goalie. They did work together on the play, but neither guy "created space" for the other.

Eichel.  He stole it from Halak.

Cheesess.  Kane and Jack are the only forwards having any scoring success and we want to disturb that?  Eichel creates space for Kane, and Kane creates space fro Jack.

While they're the only ones scoring goals, the only goal where one had anything to do with the other scoring is the shorty, and we can still keep them out as the penalty kill duo for the last 20 seconds or so.

So they have had a hand in 1 goal for each other, but they've been on the ice for 5 or 6 against, I believe. As our problem lately has been keeping the puck out of the net, why is is such a ludicrous idea to try and spread the scoring around while breaking up a duo that has proven in the past to have abominable goals-against numbers while on the ice, and is continuing that trend this year?