Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

No suffering here.

You're also a spacecat astronaut. So... that's pretty sweet.

This. It's amazing how much less the team stinking up the joint has bothered me since I stopped buying merchandise, attending games, and paying for center ice.

Not being financially invested has made me less emotionally invested as well, but I still log into this board every day to see what's going on.

Precisely. It's just a game played for fun. If one doesn't invest cash heavily (attendance, PSLs, gambling, merchandise, and the like) it's easier to enjoy it for what it is. Like the occasional trip to the museum. Or following a certain movie franchise. Whatever our inclination.

But this Space is fun and interesting and a good source of information, regardless.

Kris Baker recently tweeted that he’d be issuing an updated prospect list. I’m going to beat him to it. I’m only going to include players 23 and under so no Ullmark or Nelson. I think it’s a good time to take a look now as the season winds down but before the draft. This is not a pretty list. I see only 9 guys with solid NHL potential and a few others then may develop into something.

The very good

1) Mittelstadt. Is there anything left to say. Only drama left is if and when he joins the organization. ATO for the Amerks playoffs? I hope so.

2) Guhle. I don’t know if he is skilled enough to be a top pairing guy, but looks like a speedy puck mover for the second pair long-term. Wowie says he is improving with each game. Top 6 next year to start.

The good - here comes the Swedes

3) Asplund. Drafted 33rd in 2016. Has improved each year in the SHL ready to come over and see what he can do

4) Nylander. Not a stellar year, but improved 2 way play and production. Only 20 years old. Still has plenty of time to develop.

5) Davidsson. Drafted 37th in 2017. Basically Asplund one year younger with slightly better numbers.

6) Olofsson. Drafted 181st in 2014. Has 27g ytd in the SHL. If you can score there. You can score here as well. We need scoring and I expect him to get a long look in camp if he signs with us.

The next group

7) Borgen - US Olympian and college senior. Will he sign with us and does his stay at home game fit Housley’s system? Our best D prospect outside Guhle, but that isn’t saying much.

8) Pu - Already signed, the skilled forward comes to Roch next season after a stellar AHL career that is very similar to fellow 3rd rd pick Nick Baptiste. I think he has more upside the Nick.

9) Baptiste - looks to be solidifying a job in Buffalo next year, but with little upside beyond a bottom 6 grinder.

10) Smith - College UFA was having a good rookie season until recent injuries. Numbers similar to what guys like Wilson or Erod put up in their rookie A campaigns. Upside is similar.

Guys to watch

11) Bailey - can’t fully tell if he has an NHL future or not, shows flashes but then nothing. Another year in the A looks likely.

12) Fasching - Has improved defensively, but scoring isn’t coming in the A as it should have. Looks more and more like a career AHLer. Could see time as a 4th liner in the NHL.

13) Johansson - 1st year in NA going OK. Recently promoted to the A to replace Ullmark. On a similar path to Ullmark. Won’t know if he has an NHL future until 24 or so.

14) Weissbach - Our 7th rd pick in 2017 has had a solid freshman year for Wis and earned a spot of the freshman Big 10 team.

15) Budik - a 5th rd pick in 2016, this D has exploded with 14g this season. May not be our 15th best prospect, but that kind of improvement should be noted.

Others

16) Lukkonen - G represented Findland at the WJC.

17) Bryson - Has had an improved solid second college season.

18) Fitzgerald - output has decreased slightly over his 3 college years. Time to sign and see if there is something here or not.

19) Malone - reasonable 1st season in the A, not sure if this Harvard/Nichols boy has an NHL future, but I’m rooting hard for him.

20) Cornel - once a top CHL draftee, now a wasted 2nd rd pick. Improved in 2nd A season, but I don’t see a NHL future here.

Guys still in system

Laaksonen - 3rd rd flyer in 2017 (Edit: Getting some time in SM-Liiga, won’t be here for years).

Hagel - 6th in 2016 Has showed some scoring in Jrs

Glotov - overage Russian has scored 29 in the Q. Up from 15. However assists down and +/- a -23.

Willman, Brown, Peterson, Murray, and Hurley are college forwards unlikely ever to see a contract from the Sabres let alone make an impact.

Florentino, Stephens, Karabacek and Martin - former draftees residing in the ECHL. Martin (3rd) and Karabacek (2nd) are from TM’s ill fated 2014 draft class. Enough said

Osmanski, Chukarov and Nyberg - 3 late rd D who are also unlikely to earn a contract with the Sabres, although Osmanski has slowly improved.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Yeah it’s a little sad.

Mittelstadt is the only top 6 forward, although any of the 4 Swedes and maybe Pu could still develop into top 6 players, but they all could become part of a strong and talented 3rd line. Which would give us better balance long-term. Guhle is the only D with top 2 pairing potential. There also aren’t any clear starting goalies.

So out of 35 prospects, I think as few as 7 guys could be impact players and only 2 are clearly going to be impact players. I don’t know how this compares to other organizations, but it is a pretty limited group imho.

Kris Baker recently tweeted that he’d be issuing an updated prospect list. I’m going to beat him to it. I’m only going to include players 23 and under so no Ullmark or Nelson. I think it’s a good time to take a look now as the season winds down but before the draft. This is not a pretty list. I see only 9 guys with solid NHL potential and a few others then may develop into something.

The very good

1) Mittelstadt. Is there anything left to say. Only drama left is if and when he joins the organization. ATO for the Amerks playoffs? I hope so.

2) Guhle. I don’t know if he is skilled enough to be a top pairing guy, but looks like a speedy puck mover for the second pair long-term. Wowie says he is improving with each game. Top 6 next year to start.

The good - here comes the Swedes

3) Asplund. Drafted 33rd in 2016. Has improved each year in the SHL ready to come over and see what he can do

4) Nylander. Not a stellar year, but improved 2 way play and production. Only 20 years old. Still has plenty of time to develop.

5) Davidsson. Drafted 37th in 2017. Basically Asplund one year younger with slightly better numbers.

6) Olofsson. Drafted 181st in 2014. Has 27g ytd in the SHL. If you can score there. You can score here as well. We need scoring and I expect him to get a long look in camp if he signs with us.

The next group

7) Borgen - US Olympian and college senior. Will he sign with us and does his stay at home game fit Housley’s system? Our best D prospect outside Guhle, but that isn’t saying much.

8) Pu - Already signed, the skilled forward comes to Roch next season after a stellar AHL career that is very similar to fellow 3rd rd pick Nick Baptiste. I think he has more upside the Nick.

9) Baptiste - looks to be solidifying a job in Buffalo next year, but with little upside beyond a bottom 6 grinder.

10) Smith - College UFA was having a good rookie season until recent injuries. Numbers similar to what guys like Wilson or Erod put up in their rookie A campaigns. Upside is similar.

Guys to watch

11) Bailey - can’t fully tell if he has an NHL future or not, shows flashes but then nothing. Another year in the A looks likely.

12) Fasching - Has improved defensively, but scoring isn’t coming in the A as it should have. Looks more and more like a career AHLer. Could see time as a 4th liner in the NHL.

13) Johansson - 1st year in NA going OK. Recently promoted to the A to replace Ullmark. On a similar path to Ullmark. Won’t know if he has an NHL future until 24 or so.

14) Weissbach - Our 7th rd pick in 2017 has had a solid freshman year for Wis and earned a spot of the freshman Big 10 team.

15) Budik - a 5th rd pick in 2016, this D has exploded with 14g this season. May not be our 15th best prospect, but that kind of improvement should be noted.

Others

16) Lukkonen - G represented Findland at the WJC.

17) Bryson - Has had an improved solid second college season.

18) Fitzgerald - output has decreased slightly over his 3 college years. Time to sign and see if there is something here or not.

19) Malone - reasonable 1st season in the A, not sure if this Harvard/Nichols boy has an NHL future, but I’m rooting hard for him.

20) Cornel - once a top CHL draftee, now a wasted 2nd rd pick. Improved in 2nd A season, but I don’t see a NHL future here.

Guys still in system

Laaksonen - 3rd rd flyer in 2017 doesn’t seem to be panning out

Glotov - overage Russian not doing much in the CHL.

Willman, Brown, Peterson, Murray, and Hurley - college forwards unlikely ever to see a contract from the Sabres let alone make an impact.

Florentino, Stephens, Karabacek and Martin - former draftees residing in the ECHL. Martin (3rd) and Karabacek (2nd) are from TM’s ill fated 2014 draft class. Enough said

Osmanski, Chukarov and Nyberg - 3 late rd D who are also unlikely to earn a contract with the Sabres, although Osmanski has slowly improved.

yes, sad with all those draft picks they acquired, depth should not have been an issue

truth is we have as many if not more good prospects then most other teams. drafting is not a exact science and there are so many variables...for every kid who turns out there are many who crash and burn so to speak. Don;t think we are the only team that has wasted picks, picked the wrong guy or traded away someone who turned out later to be a good steady player.

You're also a spacecat astronaut. So... that's pretty sweet.

Precisely. It's just a game played for fun. If one doesn't invest cash heavily (attendance, PSLs, gambling, merchandise, and the like) it's easier to enjoy it for what it is. Like the occasional trip to the museum. Or following a certain movie franchise. Whatever our inclination.

But this Space is fun and interesting and a good source of information, regardless.

Yup! I'm Glad we have a pro hockey team to follow.

John Vogl had an interview with Steve Greeley this week and he had some interesting things to say

It's clear Greeley sees good things ahead for Buffalo. He oversees the pro scouting staff and player development department. He knows who's in the system.

I've spent a lot of time in Europe this year," Greeley said by phone from his home base in Boston. "I've spent a lot of time at the University of Minnesota and St. Cloud State. I do know we have some players coming."

He quickly pointed to Minnesota freshman phenom Casey Mittelstadt, Swedish Hockey League scoring leader Victor Olofsson, U.S. Olympian Will Borgen, Swedish center Rasmus Asplund and Ontario Hockey League forward Cliff Pu.

You come here and see Jack Eichel and Mittelstadt and a high first-round pick this year, we know we have high-end talent," Greeley said. "Certainly, we plan on adding to that this summer, so that's exciting. We are going to have a young core of very good players, and to me that's a good thing."

Does this mean that Borgen maybe signing with the Sabres this year?

I'm sure if there is any chance borgen signs it's to get a shot late in the season with the big club and burn a year of his elc.

How is his college team? When is the earliest we could sign him?

Ranked 1st in the nation and will be the number one seed in the Frozen Four Tournament

Ah, I see the article mentions that.

Interesting piece:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/17/inside-the-sabres-greeley-is-on-the-rise-and-sees-same-for-team/

Reading between the lines, looks like he probably had a big say in bringing in O’Regan and that convincing Mittelstadt, Borgen and a college FA or two to sign will be Greeley’s job. Recruiting seems to be a strong point on his resume.

Yeah it’s a little sad.

Mittelstadt is the only top 6 forward, although any of the 4 Swedes and maybe Pu could still develop into top 6 players, but they all could become part of a strong and talented 3rd line. Which would give us better balance long-term. Guhle is the only D with top 2 pairing potential. There also aren’t any clear starting goalies.

So out of 35 prospects, I think as few as 7 guys could be impact players and only 2 are clearly going to be impact players. I don’t know how this compares to other organizations, but it is a pretty limited group imho.

Won't need one for 10 + years if Ullmark pans out.

Guys still in system

Laaksonen - 3rd rd flyer in 2017 doesn’t seem to be panning out

Glotov - overage Russian not doing much in the CHL.

Willman, Brown, Peterson, Murray, and Hurley - college forwards unlikely ever to see a contract from the Sabres let alone make an impact.

Huh?  We drafted him less than a year ago and this season he graduated to the top league in Finland.  He was always going to be a project and we have his rights for a long time.  Way too early to tell with him.

Huh?  We drafted him less than a year ago and this season he graduated to the top league in Finland.  He was always going to be a project and we have his rights for a long time.  Way too early to tell with him.

To each his own.  Yes he is a 18 year old playing in the top league in Finland.  He has 4 assts in his 21 games.  However he was also just ok in their AHL.  In 40 games he has 4g 15a and is -16.  His greatest attribute is speed, but he needs to dominating in the Finish U20 league and isn't.  My hope is that I'm wrong about every prospect in our system to the good.  I hope Oskari becomes a star and proves me wrong.  

However, I've seen 40+ years of hot prospects come and go and rarely do the they surprise to the good.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

To each his own.  Yes he is a 18 year old playing in the top league in Finland.  He has 4 assts in his 21 games.  However he was also just ok in their AHL.  In 40 games he has 4g 15a and is -16.  His greatest attribute is speed, but he needs to dominating in the Finish U20 league and isn't.  My hope is that I'm wrong about every prospect in our system to the good.  I hope Oskari becomes a star and proves me wrong.  

However, I've seen 40+ years of hot prospects come and go and rarely do the they surprise to the good.

The top league in Finland is comparable to the AHL here.  So he's playing ~10 minutes a night at a higher level than our CHL and college prospects as an 18 year old.  He's got two more full years in Finland at least, and we knew he'd always be a project since it took a late growth spurt to even get is size to adequate for a potential NHL future.  *IF* he ever makes it, and the odds are against 3rd rounders anyway, he'll be a while (like Victor Olofsson).

We can agree he's a long shot but I'm pretty neutral on his this season went for him.

He was such a project that I never did and never will understand his selection much less in the 3rd round. Want to take a flyer, OK, that is what rounds 5-7 are for, such as Olofsson.

ESPECIALLY when there is a "local" kid that's available at that same spot.

Still unhappy they didn't take Farrance w/ that pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.