Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

Couple of nuggets from the WGR article that I found interesting:

A lot has changed for Olofsson since being taken with the 181st overall pick in the 2014 draft. On draft day, Olofsson measured in at just 5' 7" and 157-pounds, but was coming off of a season where he scored 32 goals and 53 points in 44 games with the MODO Under-20 junior team in Sweden. Olofsson now stands at 5' 11" and is about 20-pounds stronger than he was as an 18-year old.

The Sabres will have to sign Olofsson to an entry-level deal before June 1st this year, or else he will become a free agent.

I hate to say it, but if he's good, it would seem that there's a good chance that he signs elsewhere.

I hate to say it, but if he's good, it would seem that there's a good chance that he signs elsewhere.

Well, he played with Ullmark for 2 years on Modo, so maybe they're buds? 

Is Asplund signed?   I don't see that they've ever played together.

Didn't say they played together. I said they know each other. Asplund is not signed because he, like Olofsson is completing a SHL deal. 

http://www.espnrochester.com/articles/wgr-am-article/olofsson-feels-ready-make-jump-north-america

Olofsson enjoys playing against his younger counterpart, and has gotten to know him over the past few year from playing against him in Sweden and spending time together at development camp in Buffalo.

"It's always fun to play against him (Asplund)," Olofsson said. "Our team has a big rivalry going back, so they're really fun games to play. I've been getting to know Rasmus really well too. He's a fun guy, skilled player, good two-way centerman. He's been playing really good this year."

Why? Because Buffalo? With our desperate need for scoring and LWs, he has a legit shot to make the team and play on Jack’s wing. He’s going to get a one year ELC no matter where he goes. Who else can offer him such an opportunity? I have him and Smith pencilled in as two or our top 3 LWs to start next season.

Why? Because Buffalo? With our desperate need for scoring and LWs, he has a legit shot to make the team and play on Jack’s wing. He’s going to get a one year ELC no matter where he goes. Who else can offer him such an opportunity? I have him and Smith pencilled in as two or our top 3 LWs to start next season.

Because there are plenty of teams that can use a young, cheap scoring winger and that are also much better teams than the Sabres and, depending on one's perspective, in more desirable cities.

It's also pretty ill-advised to depend on a 170-lb rookie who's never played in NA to hold down a top winger spot.

Why? Because Buffalo? With our desperate need for scoring and LWs, he has a legit shot to make the team and play on Jack’s wing. He’s going to get a one year ELC no matter where he goes. Who else can offer him such an opportunity? I have him and Smith penciled in as two or our top 3 LWs to start next season.

That is frightening

Because there are plenty of teams that can use a young, cheap scoring winger and that are also much better teams than the Sabres and, depending on one's perspective, in more desirable cities.

It's also pretty ill-advised to depend on a 170-lb rookie who's never played in NA to hold down a top winger spot.

That is frightening

If this rebuild is ever going to work, we are going to have to turn the team over to our younger players as Colorado finally did.  We can't keep doing the failed TM thing and keep filling our holes with outside talent (or non-talent as the case may be).  Nice thing about Olofsson and Smith is that they are already mature players.  They aren't 19 year old first year pros who played in the CHL against kids, they are (or will be) 23 by next season.  Smith had 3 years against older players in college and until getting hurt was our best forward in Roch. Olofsson has 5 years experience as a pro playing against men in the SHL.  It's not like similar age guys coming from Europe haven't jumped right into the NHL and been successful.   For example, Panarin was 23 when joined the Hawks from Russia.  

Lets be honest, can Smith and Olofsson do worse the Girgensons, Griffith, Moulson, ERod, Larsson, Pouliot, and Wilson (and whomever else we had playing LW)?

Pouliot 11-4=15 pts in 52gms

Wilson 3-4=7 pts in 23 games

Erod 3-7=10 pts in 27 games

Moulson 0-0=0pt in 14 games

Larsson 3-6=9pts in 54 games

Griffith 2-1=3pts in 18 games

Girgensons 6-4=10pts in 50 games 

These LWs have produced 27 goal 54 pts in 238 games. My guess is they produce at least that much on their own next season.   

FYI: I think the Sabres still hold Olofsson's rights

Well, I don't think anyone is opposed to giving Olofsson and/or Smith shots at the big leagues.  My point is simply that (i) if he's a UFA in a few months (and Hammy could certainly be wrong about that), it's at least 50/50 that he decides to sign elsewhere and (ii) of course it would be great if he were as good as Panarin, but it's much more likely that he's as effective as Antipin.

Well, I don't think anyone is opposed to giving Olofsson and/or Smith shots at the big leagues.  My point is simply that (i) if he's a UFA in a few months (and Hammy could certainly be wrong about that), it's at least 50/50 that he decides to sign elsewhere and (ii) of course it would be great if he were as good as Panarin, but it's much more likely that he's as effective as Antipin.

Defense is so much harder to learn. Playing wing is frankly the easiest adjustment from the AHL or Europe. I’m hoping he is as good as Avridsson’s first full year in the NHL.

Also what are you basing your 50/50 odds on. The only thing I’ve seen or heard was the article on Die By the Blade in December. Nothing in that interview points to him not wanting to be here. We Modo to let us know.

but he can't sign until his season is over?

No, he could sign today if he wanted to, the Sabres pay the SHL the transfer fee ($240k, I think) and he comes over. Dunno why he'd do that though. Makes more sense to get it lined up and sign once his season is over, if he wants to sign.

Well, I don't think anyone is opposed to giving Olofsson and/or Smith shots at the big leagues.  My point is simply that (i) if he's a UFA in a few months (and Hammy could certainly be wrong that), it's at least 50/50 that he decides to sign elsewhere and (ii) of course it would be great if he were as good as Panarin, but it's much more likely that he's as effective as Antipin.

Unlike Borgen, Olofsson sounds enthusiastic about coming to Buffalo and has been consulting regularly with Buffalo scouts.

Not worried about him.

Agree with everything else here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.