Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

Did it hurt Tyson Jost?

I know you're picking on my comparison, but I do wonder how he's doing. Looks like 17 points in 47 NHL games this year. That's a 30 point season. Not a lot of AHL time. I'll go scour and see what Avs fans have thought of his season. 

i don't really care about Casey's production next year so long as he's developing his game in all areas and being kept on his toes with new challenges.

Rochester this year for the playoffs. Though a game or two with Sabres wouldn't hurt.

Sabres next year

I thought the Sabres could sign him to an ELC and send him to Rochester for the Playoffs, based on the reports out of LA when Vilardi signed he would be eligible for the playoffs with the Kings but not the Ontario Reign so I assume Casey would fall under the same rules.

Would signing him to a PTO for the Sabres for two games then an ATO with Rochester work or is that illegal per the CBA?

From The Athletic and Corey Pronman

Buffalo: Casey Mittelstadt, C

When I ranked Mittelstadt as the No. 1 NHL prospect, I got a lot of, well, let’s call it feedback, but a lot of people noted his production has been quite poor for a so-called elite prospect. It’s a fair criticism. Since then I’ve been doing extra Mittelstadt homework. I’ve watched about one-quarter of Minnesota’s games on video and polled a bunch of NHL scouts.

He looks elite in the games I watch, with the same blow you away skill that led me to rank him at the No. 1 slot, but the points don’t come and that’s a reasonable concern.

In the pro camp, one NHL scout said: “Every game I watch, he’s the best player on the ice. Some nights they are massively outshot and out-chanced. He doesn’t have anyone to play with.”

In the cons camp, another scout said: “You can’t overrate one tournament [that being his MVP performance at the world juniors], he hasn’t got it done in college at the same level.”

A significant majority of scouts I polled agreed with his No. 1 designation with a few detractors.

Whether he's #1, 2 or 3. I think he will be a good player. It'll take some time to adjust to the NHL. To me, he reminds me so much of Clayton Keller, right down to his size and style. Keller has 18 goals and 30 assists for 48 points in 66 games. I would sure take that from Casey. Just hope some don't expect him to put up Matthews type numbers his rookie year.

Based on this, Casey Watch will be waiting a few weeks

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/probabilityMatrix.php

I didn't notice you posted the exact as matrix a couple of days before I did.

Whether he's #1, 2 or 3. I think he will be a good player. It'll take some time to adjust to the NHL. To me, he reminds me so much of Clayton Keller, right down to his size and style. Keller has 18 goals and 30 assists for 48 points in 66 games. I would sure take that from Casey. Just hope some don't expect him to put up Matthews type numbers his rookie year.

2018-03-08, 10:28 AM

@coreypronman @TheAthleticNHL I often use % involvement in team goals as a way to try to get pts on par for team strength. Mittelstadt is at 31%. Toews was at 30% in 2006/2007.

I thought the Sabres could sign him to an ELC and send him to Rochester for the Playoffs, based on the reports out of LA when Vilardi signed he would be eligible for the playoffs with the Kings but not the Ontario Reign so I assume Casey would fall under the same rules.

Would signing him to a PTO for the Sabres for two games then an ATO with Rochester work or is that illegal per the CBA?

The only way he gets to Roch for the playoffs is to do what Columbus did with Werenski and that is a 25 game AHL ATO. This preserves his 3 year ELC. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

First Pronman had Casey as the best outside the NHL and now Hockey News Future Watch has joined the party.

He ranks as the number one prospect outside the NHL in the annual edition polling NHL scouts and executives, edging out Elias Petterssen and Miro Heiskanen.

The big surprise to me was Alex Nylander hanging in at 13. Despite all his troubles, faith in his skill level remains strong around the league.

Other Sabres in the top 100: Asplund 82, Guhle 96 and Marcus Davidson 97.

Overall, we have the 12th-ranked group of players 21 and younger (which includes NHLers)

Leafs are number one thanks to Nylander, Marner and Matthews.

Haven’t read any of the content yet, but there is a feature article on Casey.

Edited by dudacek

With fans. I will be shocked if the organization is thinking about him in a Sabres uniform for next year. Give him the proper time to develop.

Two of the more reputable rankings out there have just identified him as the best prospect outside the NHL.

Why would it be shocking to see a player of that pedigree in the NHL next year?

On a team desperately lacking in talented forwards?

I’m not expecting Casey to come in and rip it up, but I will disappointed if he can’t push past Girgensons or Wilson or Larsson for a spot in the middle six. Making the NHL is generally what top 10 picks do in their second year. At least the forwards.

Contrary to sky-high expectations, I think the fans - on here at least - are so conditioned to disappointment they are shielding themselves.

Edited by dudacek

First Pronman had Casey as the best outside the NHL and now Hockey News Future Watch has joined the party.

He ranks as the number one prospect outside the NHL in the annual edition polling NHL scouts and executives, edging out Elias Petterssen and Miro Heiskanen.

The big surprise to me was Alex Nylander hanging in at 13. Despite all his troubles, faith in his skill level remains strong around the league.

Other Sabres in the top 100: Asplund 82, Guhle 96 and Marcus Davidson 97.

Overall, we have the 12th-ranked group of players 21 and younger (which includes NHLers)

Leafs are number one thanks to Nylander, Marner and Matthews.

Haven’t read any of the content yet, but there is a feature article on Casey.

I can't help but think the scouts are lazy and just relying on seriously old info. If they had bothered to look up the last couple of years for even 10 seconds they'd realize he ain't what we thought he was.

I can't help but think the scouts are lazy and just relying on seriously old info. If they had bothered to look up the last couple of years for even 10 seconds they'd realize he ain't what we thought he was.

Nylander? Or Casey?

The sad part is Nylander isn’t what they thought on draft day. Nylander was a perimeter floater in the OHL. What’s changed? I’m not sure Boqvist is this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.