Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Not too much else really.  This year I won't have the same connection although I believe we're playing one of the Basil kids next weekend.

Oh Pi. It's very true.  I'm good friends with a regional GM of Cadillac and I coached his kid for a few years.  He's good friends with members of the Basil family (naturally). We play against one of the Basil children each year. When we would play them we would go out to lunch/dinner after the games and I've talked to his father numerous times. He has relayed the story about Jack a few times in a few different settings during family gatherings.  He's extremely gracious, unassuming, and hanging out with the kids most of the time.  He loves them.  Point is... he's the right kind of guy.

But you don't have to believe me, that's fine.  

I want to believe.

It is always way more fun to hang out with the kids.

With the kids, there are apt to be fart jokes and a TV to watch.

With the adults, someone might be asking me to talk about my job.

I use it as my time to be really confused about what video games are popular today.  Playing soccer with race cars?  Ummmm.... ok.

Oh, Christ. Yes.

Haha - yes!

Yeh but my son plays first person shooter games that my eyes can hardly keep up with and give a head ache... pixel gun seems tame gonna try out tomorrow.. and family fun crashing each other out during race car games as it usually devolves into. My wife and I still think its about racing... my sons think its about creating the horrendous crashes. Still fun. Edited by North Buffalo

Per Dreger Botterill and Jack's Agent are meeting face to face later this week he believes

Remember when Kevin Sylvester said it was a done deal, they were just waiting for September? I can't wait until he signs, and he says told ya so.

So I'm watching the Columbus-Chicago preseason game and they just had a commercial for NCAA hockey, narrated by Jack.

haha nice!

Glad to see Jack getting the exposure.

Im all in for paying him now. I think 85pts if healthy is not even unreasonable. 

I expect it

I bet they wait until October 1st to make it look spontaneous.

This notion that they've had something in place for quite awhile and are just waiting on timing has been out there for, well, quite awhile. Not buying it myself

This notion that they've had something in place for quite awhile and are just waiting on timing has been out there for, well, quite awhile. Not buying it myself

There really isn't too much wiggle room on this one.  Everyone knows what the term will be.  The only question comes down to probably about a $million or so per year difference.

Hypothetical for Dudacek and people of his ilk ( :p ) : would you rather pay Jack $10.5x8 now before he has proven he deserves it, or $12x8 after he has proven it?

See the thing is, I buy the premise of this argument entirely.

I think we both agree Jack is the second most-valuable asset in the league, just differ on how the numbers should reflect that.

The trouble is the comparables - the window between Draisaitl #3 and McDavid #1 is so huge.

Botterill has a responsibility to keep it closer to Draisaitl and the numbers currently back him up.

Fish has a responsibility to get it up into McDavid territory and is using the lever that the price will only go up as Jack rips up the league this year.

Really, my position is probably pretty close to Botterill's and yours to Fish's

They'll find a happy medium, and that medium - or median - looks pretty close to $10 million.