Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Per Dreger

No change in the Eichel negotiation. No reason to read into that, however further discussions could be shelved until next summer.

That's kinda crappy if it's true and there's no chance of something early/mid-season.

That's kinda crappy if it's true and there's no chance of something early/mid-season.

To add, saw Dreger on "Insider Trading" on TSN, and he said both sides were thinking/hoping they'd get an extension done over the summer before the season, but now that they haven't, Eichel doesn't want the in season distraction, so they'd shelve discussion till next offseason.

Wonder if the contract and the captaincy are at somewhat related

I'd guess likely.

Edited by Thorny

Why?

Yeah - I am not seeing how this would hold up a 'financial' negotiation. There is not much to read into here, in my opinion:

Based on his production, the Sabres Mngt believe he probably falls in the approximate 9 million a year range. They want to negotiate based on 'what is'.  

Eichel and his agent, wisely, want to negotiate on what they believe 'will be' - so they are probably asking for 10-11 million a year.

The reasons the negotiation has probably been so cordial; is that both sides understand the other sides position. So it is simple - if Jack put up a 0.75 - 0.80 point per game season, AND they fall short of the playoffs, he is a 9 million dollar player. Maybe 8.5.

If he averages a point a game - and serves as a winning force getting them into the playoffs, or close to it, then he gets his 10.5 or higher. 

Both sides feel like they won with the latter outcome - and I am sure both sides will feel like they lost if the former happens. 

Why? It's not a dispute, he's signed.

True. I was thinking it gives him more leverage in talks, but I guess it's not like that would swing the pendulum either way.

@NEWS4_NICK
Housley said his staff would continue to discuss captaincy today - http://wivb.com/2017/10/02/housley-wont-name-captain-still-evaluating-who-will-wear-a-letter/… @news4buffalo #Sabres

Yeah - I am not seeing how this would hold up a 'financial' negotiation. There is not much to read into here, in my opinion:

Based on his production, the Sabres Mngt believe he probably falls in the approximate 9 million a year range. They want to negotiate based on 'what is'.  

Eichel and his agent, wisely, want to negotiate on what they believe 'will be' - so they are probably asking for 10-11 million a year.

The reasons the negotiation has probably been so cordial; is that both sides understand the other sides position. So it is simple - if Jack put up a 0.75 - 0.80 point per game season, AND they fall short of the playoffs, he is a 9 million dollar player. Maybe 8.5.

If he averages a point a game - and serves as a winning force getting them into the playoffs, or close to it, then he gets his 10.5 or higher. 

Both sides feel like they won with the latter outcome - and I am sure both sides will feel like they lost if the former happens. 

This sounds right.

I think it's as simple as that. I'm feeling pessimistic (perhaps prematurely) after the preseason; if Eichel doesn't really reach the level we had all hoped/expected, GMBot was a genius for doing this - as opposed to just giving him what he wants - like I was saying earlier.

True. I was thinking it gives him more leverage in talks, but I guess it's not like that would swing the pendulum either way.

I'm actually thinking that the Sabres mgmt isn't looking for leverage/looking to low-ball Jack; I think they just simply want to pay him what he's worth, but not any more, and use this season to determine what that figure is. It'd be upsetting if it ended up being around 9mil (for the sake of the team), but very prudent of GMBot to wait it out.

Edited by ericcomposer72

Good now I don't have to think about this until May

You better know how to ignore this topic on here then.  If the signing indeed does not occur until May this will easily surpass the longest SabreSpace thread... it might set a Cal Ripken like record.