Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

I love that clip.

I also love how the still-shot Kelly uses several times has Eichel pictured with that odd, fundamentally "unsound" thing he does with his skates. (NFW the kids are taught to do that -- Eichel just developed it on his own because he's maybe sorta not entirely from this planet.) 

Edited by That Aud Smell

I love that clip.

I also love how the still-shot Kelly uses several times has Eichel pictured with that odd, fundamentally "unsound" thing he does with his skates. (NFW the kids are taught to do that -- Eichel just developed it on his own because he's maybe sorta not entirely from this planet.) 

Weird, I don't see anything out of place with his skating. 

Weird, I don't see anything out of place with his skating. 

Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Not only that, but wasn't there some SportScience analysis of his stride or something?

Didn't mean to say anything inconsistent with whatever that is.

His ankles have a weird uncommon side to side flex as he accelerates or cuts. Gotta use really hollow blades and ligaments really loose but strong.

I don't know enough about skating to know, but I've heard two or three people make comments about he's got some unusual aspect(s) to his technique(s). What I'd heard is consistent with what NB posted above.

Yeah - I am not seeing how this would hold up a 'financial' negotiation. There is not much to read into here, in my opinion:

Based on his production, the Sabres Mngt believe he probably falls in the approximate 9 million a year range. They want to negotiate based on 'what is'.  

Eichel and his agent, wisely, want to negotiate on what they believe 'will be' - so they are probably asking for 10-11 million a year.

The reasons the negotiation has probably been so cordial; is that both sides understand the other sides position. So it is simple - if Jack put up a 0.75 - 0.80 point per game season, AND they fall short of the playoffs, he is a 9 million dollar player. Maybe 8.5.

If he averages a point a game - and serves as a winning force getting them into the playoffs, or close to it, then he gets his 10.5 or higher. 

Both sides feel like they won with the latter outcome - and I am sure both sides will feel like they lost if the former happens.

Good post.

Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Didn't mean to say anything inconsistent with whatever that is.

I don't know enough about skating to know, but I've heard two or three people make comments about he's got some unusual aspect(s) to his technique(s). What I'd heard is consistent with what NB posted above.

Definitely. The upright skating style stands out the most to me.

And that thing where he seems to rest on each outside edge of his blades. That's not textbook, I don't think. But it's awesome.

Yup. I think it's something exceptionally talented skaters are able to do to retain speed while gliding.

Amazing news.

Tangent - prepping for my Fantasy Hockey draft, ESPN has Jack ranked 57th overall. With a projection of 81 GP, 28 G, 38 A, for a whopping 66 points. So he's going to play in 20 more games this year, and score only 9 points in those games. He's below proven stars such as Matthew Tkachuk, and TJ Oshie, to name a few.

If that isn't a Buffalo bias I don't know what is. Eichel's ranks have been justified before, but this is pretty bogus.

Amazing news.

Tangent - prepping for my Fantasy Hockey draft, ESPN has Jack ranked 57th overall. With a projection of 81 GP, 28 G, 38 A, for a whopping 66 points. So he's going to play in 20 more games this year, and score only 9 points in those games. He's below proven stars such as Matthew Tkachuk, and TJ Oshie, to name a few.

If that isn't a Buffalo bias I don't know what is. Eichel's ranks have been justified before, but this is pretty bogus.

Well, if it makes you feel better, he went sixth in Sabrespace gold.