Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

What if, and just follow me here, Jack Eichel loves playing in Buffalo. He loves the city and the fans. He thinks his team is going in the right direction now. He thinks he is worth 11million. He tells his agent that who tell Botterill. Botterill says he isn't yet sure of that. Jack understands due to his injury shortened season and says, no worries I will prove that I am worth that. Botterill says sounds great we can always talk. Agent obviously helps relay all this to Jack. Everyone is understanding and is fine waiting for things to play out.

This is without a doubt what is happening.

It could be just inexperience with giving interviews, or it could be that he just doesn't want to talk to (Buffalo) media, but it seems like he never makes eye contact in interviews.  The body language is that he really doesn't want to be here.  Whether "here" means just the interview, or the city, it's hard to say.  But aside from the usual platitudes he doesn't seem very enthusiastic.

Of course it could be simply ego and ambition combined with frustration over his first couple seasons, but he doesn't strike me as a happy camper.  But if the Sabres continue to stumble as a team, he's gonna want out I think.

We've kicked this around in the past. I think that's just his manner in those settings -- a little prickly. I take him at his word that he's committed to bringing Buffalo to the top of the league.

What if, and just follow me here, Jack Eichel loves playing in Buffalo. He loves the city and the fans. He thinks his team is going in the right direction now. He thinks he is worth 11million. He tells his agent that who tell Botterill. Botterill says he isn't yet sure of that. Jack understands due to his injury shortened season and says, no worries I will prove that I am worth that. Botterill says sounds great we can always talk. Agent obviously helps relay all this to Jack. Everyone is understanding and is fine waiting for things to play out. 

What are you? Some sort of reasonable person?

I am concerned Jack will not extend his contract. I am friends with guys that play/practice with Jack here in the Boston area and more than one have shared that he is not interested in extending his contract with the Sabres. Thoughts?

This guy is obviously a spy working for Bill Belichick.

Seriously though.... okay, let's say that's all true. The worst case is he gets offer sheeted and the Sabres can match it or choose to get a bunch of picks.  If it's going to come to that, maybe he gets traded prior to the end of his contract, but if so, I think JBot basically asks for the other team's prospect pool.  As I said upthread, the Nordiques/Avs did that with Philly for Lindros and ended up with a couple of Cups.

Out of the possible outcomes, one is that Jack stays and things go on as planned.  The second is that the Sabres lose Jack, either through a trade of their choice or by not matching an offer sheet, and either way they should gain a significant number of high prospects.  Either way, the Sabres will be fine.

We've kicked this around in the past. I think that's just his manner in those settings -- a little prickly. I take him at his word that he's committed to bringing Buffalo to the top of the league.

I know.  I was merely answering Radar's question of "Okay, where did you get the "sense" that he doesn't want to be here?"  Your interpretation is likely the correct one, but a different interpretation is that he doesn't really want to be here. 

Plus I looked at the downside of what if he doesn't want to be here- and that's not awful either.

Thread needs to die...

You make a compelling point.

Seriously though.... okay, let's say that's all true. The worst case is he gets offer sheeted and the Sabres can match it or choose to get a bunch of picks.  If it's going to come to that, maybe he gets traded prior to the end of his contract, but if so, I think JBot basically asks for the other team's prospect pool.  As I said upthread, the Nordiques/Avs did that with Philly for Lindros and ended up with a couple of Cups.

IMO the worst case is he re-injures the ankle and misses the majority of the season after needing surgery to repair torn tendons that didn't completely heal the first time around.    The team finishes bottom 5 in the league again. 

JBOT presents a low-ball offer or a bridge deal.   Eichel refuses, accepts an offer sheet for $7.8mil/yr from LVK, and JBOT refuses to match because of health concerns and needing to sign Sam Reinhart who did well in Eichel's abscence.

The compensation from LVK is a first, second and third round pick in 2019.    LVK finishes dead last in 2018-19 but BUF losses the 1st overall pick in the lottery to TOR who selects generational talent Jack Hughes... paired with Auston Matthews they win multiple Cups... no wait.....  scratch that... Hughes replaces a disheveled Auston Matthews who is dealt to LVK for a gimpy Jack Eichel who resurrects his game leading TOR to multiple Cups alongside Jack Hughes and Co.

BUF finishes second last in the league, wins the lottery in a weak draft moving up from 2 to 1 to select a middling defensive prospect.

He also said he hasn't done anything yet, so he has a lot to prove. He certainly has a healthy belief in his abilities, but he also recognizes he hasn't accomplished anything yet.

That said, if we're one year from today and he's still not signed, then I'll worry.

As much as Eichel says he has to prove himself, Botterill and Housley have to prove to Eichel they know what they are doing, too. Jack is not going to stick around for GMTM/DiscoDan the Sequel. 

IMO the worst case is he re-injures the ankle and misses the majority of the season after needing surgery to repair torn tendons that didn't completely heal the first time around.    The team finishes bottom 5 in the league again. 

JBOT presents a low-ball offer or a bridge deal.   Eichel refuses, accepts an offer sheet for $7.8mil/yr from LVK, and JBOT refuses to match because of health concerns and needing to sign Sam Reinhart who did well in Eichel's abscence.

The compensation from LVK is a first, second and third round pick in 2019.    LVK finishes dead last in 2018-19 but BUF losses the 1st overall pick in the lottery to TOR who selects generational talent Jack Hughes... paired with Auston Matthews they win multiple Cups... no wait.....  scratch that... Hughes replaces a disheveled Auston Matthews who is dealt to LVK for a gimpy Jack Eichel who resurrects his game leading TOR to multiple Cups alongside Jack Hughes and Co.

BUF finishes second last in the league, wins the lottery in a weak draft moving up from 2 to 1 to select a middling defensive prospect.

If you think Jbot wouldn't match an offer that only gives us 1st round pick, idk what to tell you. Also I recognize the sarcasm of your post. 

This guy is obviously a spy working for Bill Belichick.

Seriously though.... okay, let's say that's all true. The worst case is he gets offer sheeted and the Sabres can match it or choose to get a bunch of picks. If it's going to come to that, maybe he gets traded prior to the end of his contract, but if so, I think JBot basically asks for the other team's prospect pool. As I said upthread, the Nordiques/Avs did that with Philly for Lindros and ended up with a couple of Cups.

Out of the possible outcomes, one is that Jack stays and things go on as planned. The second is that the Sabres lose Jack, either through a trade of their choice or by not matching an offer sheet, and either way they should gain a significant number of high prospects. Either way, the Sabres will be fine.

I know. I was merely answering Radar's question of "Okay, where did you get the "sense" that he doesn't want to be here?" Your interpretation is likely the correct one, but a different interpretation is that he doesn't really want to be here.

Plus I looked at the downside of what if he doesn't want to be here- and that's not awful either.

You make a compelling point.

Waisting your time. We live in the universe where there is only one locked in, inescapable result that is truly unavoidable. There are no variables, or varying routes to the inevitable outcome, just certainty.

Edit: ^ Thanks, Liger! :lol:

Edited by Thorny

I don't mean this as an insult to liger - it is one of my favorite quirks of Sabrespace to see an obvious movie/pop culture reference immediately followed by a youtube video, usually with the thing word for word in the title. Stuff like that makes this place home. 

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Actually you can tell how thinly veiled my panic and hysteria are by how irrationally resolute I am about the topic 

I don't mean this as an insult to liger - it is one of my favorite quirks of Sabrespace to see an obvious movie/pop culture reference immediately followed by a youtube video, usually with the thing word for word in the title. Stuff like that makes this place home.

Actually you can tell how thinly veiled my panic and hysteria are by how irrationally resolute I am about the topic

Will we sign Jack Eichel to an extension?

Short Answer - Yes

Long Answer - Very likely yes.

Edited by Thorny

I thought it was well-reasoned, but this bit at the end had me like  :blink:

"And with that, he could command an even greater salary. No one is about to suggest the Sabres are going to throw McDavid money — $12.5 million per season — at Eichel, but it’s not far-fetched to believe Eichel could drive his value up beyond $9 million with another career-best, top-producer season."

My man. Seems clear that, if Eichel were driving toward a value beyond $9M, he'd already be signed. I think that sentence makes sense if it had read "well beyond $10M." 

Yeah, I gotta believe Eich's target salary is in the $10-11M range.  If I'm JBot, I can't give him that.... yet.  If I'm Eichel, I can't accept less than that.... yet.  It's a point where two reasonable parties could get to that looks like an impasse but is more of a "show me."  Maybe the off-season signing they should have concentrated on was Reinhart.

Yeah, I gotta believe Eich's target salary is in the $10-11M range.  If I'm JBot, I can't give him that.... yet.  If I'm Eichel, I can't accept less than that.... yet.  It's a point where two reasonable parties could get to that looks like an impasse but is more of a "show me."  

The more I think about it - and the more the panic subsides - the more this seems to be the case. There's a way for all parties to be on the same page and amicable, but still not want to have the deal signed yet. Given what Eichel has been saying, I think that scenario makes the most sense.

Also, I don't think there was any real wisdom to extending Reinhart this summer - for not dissimilar reasons.

Same thoughts

Thanks for that. And I'm glad to see you posting here.

Charitably speaking, the emphasis there should be on the wink emoji.

I was getting tweaked for effectively saying "Thanks for agreeing with me. Please post more!"

Careful, I'll turn on you in a second  ;)

Yes.  Humor.  Surely you've seen it before?

No malice intended, I promise.  :angel:

Watch it, you're on thin ice as it is  ;)

I thought it was well-reasoned, but this bit at the end had me like  :blink:

"And with that, he could command an even greater salary. No one is about to suggest the Sabres are going to throw McDavid money — $12.5 million per season — at Eichel, but it’s not far-fetched to believe Eichel could drive his value up beyond $9 million with another career-best, top-producer season."[/size]

My man. Seems clear that, if Eichel were driving toward a value beyond $9M, he'd already be signed. I think that sentence makes sense if it had read "well beyond $10M." [/size]

Definitely.

My, for lack of a better word, because I'm not too worried yet, angst on the matter has little to do with thinking the two parties are at a contentious spot in negotiations, however. It's that what may start as a mutually agreeable situation always had the potential to change. Leaving the deal unsigned for an indefinite period of time allows the possibility for other variables (some, from our point of view, negative) to arise.

Things do change.