Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Hasn't proved anything? I know you're down on Jack for reasons but 11th in the league in points per game aint nothing.

I think he meant mediocre is "overstating," as in... mediocre is an understatement, and he overstated the understatement...

er....

To the other point: ppg is great, but it's true- players have hot and cold streaks - ultimately, the most important number is what you put on the board after close to 82 games played, and that's where I think Jack and "We've" are coming from

Edited by ericcomposer72

Hasn't proved anything? I know you're down on Jack for reasons but 11th in the league in points per game aint nothing.

Pierre Turgeon did the same.  We need more from Jack.  He knows it.  It's OK to acknowledge it.  I'm not anointing Jack anything until he actually has the team up on his shoulders.

You are free to call me down on him, I'd rephrase it to, you get my praise when the team is successful.

Pierre Turgeon did the same.  We need more from Jack.  He knows it.  It's OK to acknowledge it.  I'm not anointing Jack anything until he actually has the team up on his shoulders.

You are free to call me down on him, I'd rephrase it to, you get my praise when the team is successful.

This is why I'm quite sure he brings it this year, all year. 

He'll be looking to add another digit to his new salary, and if he earns it then everyone's happy. 

Pierre Turgeon did the same. We need more from Jack. He knows it. It's OK to acknowledge it. I'm not anointing Jack anything until he actually has the team up on his shoulders.

It's okay to expect more from Jack. But to say he hasn't proved anything is just wrong.

How is that the context? Nobody was talking about team success.

Jack said his first two seasons were mediocre. Given that he scored at a top 11 player in the game pace, what do you think he meant? I think he meant that he's not forcing success onto his team. Context.

Jack said his first two seasons were mediocre. Given that he scored at a top 11 player in the game pace, what do you think he meant? I think he meant that he's not forcing success onto his team. Context.

Jack is always going to want to do more for his team and win. What he says about himself is always going to reflect this.

You can't turn that into he hasn't proven anything. What about when he came back from injury and jumpstarted every player?

It feels like there are a lot of people pumping the brakes on Eichel and Reinhart like they're Grigorenko and Luke Adam.

Jack is always going to want to do more for his team and win. What he says about himself is always going to reflect this.

You can't turn that into he hasn't proven anything. What about when he came back from injury and jumpstarted every player?

It feels like there are a lot of people pumping the brakes on Eichel and Reinhart like they're Grigorenko and Luke Adam.

Yeah, Im pumping the brakes. But its not like Grigo and Adam. I've already mentioned other super high Buffalo picks that were elite talents but couldnt bring team success. I dont care if Eichel is a top 5 player in the league if he cant lead us to the oasis. We didnt tank for an Ovie. Or a Kovalev. We tanked for playoff success.

Yeah, Im pumping the brakes. But its not like Grigo and Adam. I've already mentioned other super high Buffalo picks that were elite talents but couldnt bring team success. I dont care if Eichel is a top 5 player in the league if he cant lead us to the oasis. We didnt tank for an Ovie. Or a Kovalev. We tanked for playoff success.

And this is kinda where I was going with my post in the "surprise" thread. I beat Jack to the punch by positing that I think he's capable of having an impact on the team that goes beyond just point production. He clearly feels the same way two seasons in. Edited by d4rksabre

One player can only do so much individually. Jack can make players around him better, but it's up to management to give him someone to play with that will allow him to be (more) dominant. From a teammate perspective, jack is miles ahead of Kovalev already. Edited by korab rules

They are mediocre for a franchise centre and unacceptable for an $11 million player.

Love this kid.

Sorry, 57 points in 61 games isn't mediocre, unless you blame him for his injury.

You both make a good point here. He's certainly proven he can score at a top-level pace. But yes on a team success basis, he hasn't proven anything, and I agree that's what Jack meant. I'm not holding him responsible for the team's previous failings though, either.

No more analysis needed.  He'll be signed.  Eichel's benchmark for success if leading the league and his team to a championship.  He's driven at the same level that every other generational great has been driven.  He's also a really down to Earth dude who separates hockey and outside of hockey really well.  I've spoken to members of the Basil family and their information on Jack is incredible.  I've said it before but during family holidays he's likely to be found more with the young kids, hanging out, than he is with the adults.  They heap massive praise on him as a person before they even speak about him as a hockey player.

He's the guy.  I'm sure he's all but signed already.  He's the C.

Feel free to lock the thread.

<<Yes, I've had a cold this entire past week and I got back on the drinking wagon tonight>>

<<No, I am not making up the Basil family information.>>

Believe in Jack.  He is what's needed.

No more analysis needed.  He'll be signed.  Eichel's benchmark for success if leading the league and his team to a championship.  He's driven at the same level that every other generational great has been driven.  He's also a really down to Earth dude who separates hockey and outside of hockey really well.  I've spoken to members of the Basil family and their information on Jack is incredible.  I've said it before but during family holidays he's likely to be found more with the young kids, hanging out, than he is with the adults.  They heap massive praise on him as a person before they even speak about him as a hockey player.

He's the guy.  I'm sure he's all but signed already.  He's the C.

<<Yes, I've had a cold this entire past week and I got back on the drinking wagon tonight>>

Believe in Jack.  He is what's needed.

Good stuff. If you have any other tidbits from the Basils about Jack you'd be comfortable sharing, you know we'd love to hear them.

No more analysis needed. He'll be signed. Eichel's benchmark for success if leading the league and his team to a championship. He's driven at the same level that every other generational great has been driven. He's also a really down to Earth dude who separates hockey and outside of hockey really well. I've spoken to members of the Basil family and their information on Jack is incredible. I've said it before but during family holidays he's likely to be found more with the young kids, hanging out, than he is with the adults. They heap massive praise on him as a person before they even speak about him as a hockey player.

He's the guy. I'm sure he's all but signed already. He's the C.

Believe in Jack. He is what's needed.

I'm sorry, I don't have any reason to believe you internet person. It's a nice story tho... if true.

Good stuff. If you have any other tidbits from the Basils about Jack you'd be comfortable sharing, you know we'd love to hear them.

Not too much else really.  This year I won't have the same connection although I believe we're playing one of the Basil kids next weekend.

I'm sorry, I don't have any reason to believe you internet person. It's a nice story tho... if true.

Oh Pi. It's very true.  I'm good friends with a regional GM of Cadillac and I coached his kid for a few years.  He's good friends with members of the Basil family (naturally). We play against one of the Basil children each year. When we would play them we would go out to lunch/dinner after the games and I've talked to his father numerous times. He has relayed the story about Jack a few times in a few different settings during family gatherings.  He's extremely gracious, unassuming, and hanging out with the kids most of the time.  He loves them.  Point is... he's the right kind of guy.

But you don't have to believe me, that's fine.