Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

That play is causing a lot of controversy. From my view, he stopped his forward momentum and at that point his chance at scoring should have ended. I am surprised it was counted. I am sure they will update a ruling to keep that from happening in the future.

It doesn't pass the eye test. It looks wrong. It's the NHL so they will come out with some stupid statement all confusing and backwards.

That play is causing a lot of controversy. From my view, he stopped his forward momentum and at that point his chance at scoring should have ended. I am surprised it was counted. I am sure they will update a ruling to keep that from happening in the future.

Evidently the rule includes language involving lateral movement as well. Idk, that's what I heard. I've said before, I do passive research, not active. Maybe someone else can clear this up.

Procedure

- The Referee shall ask to have announced over the public

address system the name of the player designated by him or selected

by the team entitled to take the shot (as appropriate). He shall then

place the

puck on the center face

-off spot and the player taking the

shot will, on the instruction of the Referee (by blowing his whistle),

play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the goalkeeper.

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s

goal line and

once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be

scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the

goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the

goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a

complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.

So ESPN spiced up their power rankings by casting each team as a Star Wars character while they did it. Coming in at 30th overall, your Buffalo Sabres are

Bolvan. 

Now, who is Bolvan? According to Wookieepedia, Bolvan was the Imperial officer who told his gunner not to fire on the escape pod that was jettisoned from the Tantive IV because there were no lifeforms on board. Had he done the opposite, then R2-D2, C-3PO and the plans for the Death Star are basically vaporized, and the entire film series ends there. So, in honor of the single most inept moment in a STAR WARS movie, we bestow him upon the Buffalo Sabres' season.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21757533/nhl-2017-18-power-rankings-recasting-team-star-wars-character

Edited by Jokertecken

Procedure
place the
puck on the center face
goal line and

That's very nice and all, but I need a simple English translation.  Thanks.

^

That English reads pretty simply to me.

I saw the Twitter replies to the NHL's posting of the video and a comment upthread. There's the talk about how lateral movement is permitted by the rule. I don't see anything about lateral movement in the rule. But it's possible that interpretive memos (remember those?) have clarified that you can move laterally across the face of the goal or goal line, so long as you remain in motion.

^

That English reads pretty simply to me.

I saw the Twitter replies to the NHL's posting of the video and a comment upthread. There's the talk about how lateral movement is permitted by the rule. I don't see anything about lateral movement in the rule. But it's possible that interpretive memos (remember those?) have clarified that you can move laterally across the face of the goal or goal line, so long as you remain in motion.

I think I'd like to open the penalty shot rules up a bit. Anything goes (within the bounds of normal game rules, so no kicking, high sticks, whatever), but you only have 5 seconds to take a shot. If you can get down behind the net and score a Mike Legg Michigan goal in 5 seconds then more power to you. If you wanna come to a full stop and just crank a slapper point blank, fine. I will be sufficiently entertained by such shenanigans. 

Procedure
place the
puck on the center face
goal line and

Intriguing.  So, a player who comes in on net and then toe-drags a shot would potentially be breaking this rule because the puck technically moves from a more forward spot on the ice back a bit only to be shot.  It technically stops moving towards the goal.

Intriguing.  So, a player who comes in on net and then toe-drags a shot would potentially be breaking this rule because the puck technically moves from a more forward spot on the ice back a bit only to be shot.  It technically stops moving towards the goal.

That's not how the rule gets applied, though. Yeah?

I mean, players regularly draw the puck in a backward direction in the course of stick-handling or making a deke. Movement toward the goal seems to be evaluated from a bigger picture perspective.

That's not how the rule gets applied, though. Yeah?

I mean, players regularly draw the puck in a backward direction in the course of stick-handling or making a deke. Movement toward the goal seems to be evaluated from a bigger picture perspective.

Agreed.  I would not have expected the rule to read the PUCK continues moving forward, just the player.

While it doesn't read that way, it seems to be called as "either the player or the puck has to continue moving towards the goal line", or "both the player and the puck cannot move towards center ice at the same time". The player can pull the puck back as part of stick-handling as long as the player is still moving forward (or maybe laterally).

Agreed.  I would not have expected the rule to read the PUCK continues moving forward, just the player.

I agree. Also the twitter people are getting hung up on "forward". I think I've seen players skate backwards towards the goal line with the puck, although that may have been all-star game stuff.

Was at the Knights game tonight. What a night for this squad. This team just keeps surprising people. Watching this team since training camp this team is pretty solidly built. Game plan with this squad was to trade almost all of the unrestricted free agents for prospects and picks but I’m guessing that plan is about to change. I think a piece that is unrated about this team is the defense. Colin Miller, Nate Schmidt, and Shea Theodore have been playing real well. This team just works and works hard and have solid goaltending. I’m shocked by both players that came from Florida Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. Watching these guys I just can’t believe you let both go. Yeah I know they felt Smith was overpaid and how do you give up a 30 goal guy in Jonathan? Those are the type of moves I expect from a Sabres GM. I’m Impressed by both. The other surprise is from rookie camp with Alex Tuch. He’s a rookie who is flying under the radar. He’s a big guy that can skate and he goes in the corners and usually comes out with the puck. Almost every game he has played he had quality opportunities or set up his teammates. He has 15 points this season but for a team like Minnesota to trade him to us is just crazy because I can’t believe you give up on a player like that. For a team that most thought would have trouble scoring goals that isn’t the case. Anybody ever come to Vegas and want to meet up and talk Sabres-Knights hockey hit me up.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Hmmm it's almost like when the focus is on winning, and winning now, and players are happy to be where they are, success follows. To the Dad thread!

Knights 6-3-1 in last 10. Who was it who predicted their impending implosion a while back? Randall?

Annnnnnnd here's my opening. Mike Schopp. That rascal. Mike Schopp. A social deviant who won't respond when callers ask how he is, and makes Bulldog answer for him, but asks how his guests are (ya know, important, washed people), and courteously replies when they ask how he is. We're living a society, here!

Anyway, the other day Mike was pumping up the value of the point spread, because it's all "facty" and logical and smart people like him should follow it. And people who broadcast NFL games apparently aren't smart because they never mention it. He segued into the Pythagorean something or other, an analytics gem that looks at some metric of performance (point differential in this case, I think) and tells you what a team's record should be, vs. what it is.

"5-8. That's the Bills' real record," Mike said. Their real record.

Analytics dweebs intent on ruining sports for everyone have weaseled their greasy selves into front office jobs and changed the way the game is played. There's one final frontier: defeating the scoreboard. I have no doubt they want to eventually tell us who "won" a game — in a better, more logical, smarter way. Wait for it. It's coming.

And that'll be all of our dotage. "What the ! The Sabres scored more goals! Back in the day..." "Jesus, someone put Grandpa in his pod!"

Another NHL forward out with a broken jaw: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-sven-baertschi-injury-1.4443045

I know players are tough but if you're the type of forward that plants himself in front of the net for a living, chances are you are going to get a broken jaw. Vanek and Lafontaine did too, not to mention too many others. I think players who play this type of positioning should consider a facemask.(Sam Reinhart)  I look forward to the day that the league looks out for the safety of players and after the grandfathers die out,  everyone in the NHL should required to wear a facemask like football. The game is too quick and dangerous and the risk is not worth it, despite the minimal vision limitations. 

Another NHL forward out with a broken jaw: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-sven-baertschi-injury-1.4443045

I know players are tough but if you're the type of forward that plants himself in front of the net for a living, chances are you are going to get a broken jaw. Vanek and Lafontaine did too, not to mention too many others. I think players who play this type of positioning should consider a facemask.(Sam Reinhart)  I look forward to the day that the league looks out for the safety of players and after the grandfathers die out,  everyone in the NHL should required to wear a facemask like football. The game is too quick and dangerous and the risk is not worth it, despite the minimal vision limitations. 

I agree.  Funny that college players are required to wear full face shields then take them off when they get to the NHL for what I can only believe is some sort of shame on one's masculinity for wearing a full shield (or perceived peer pressure).  Make shields mandatory and save teeth, eyes and careers.

I agree.  Funny that college players are required to wear full face shields then take them off when they get to the NHL for what I can only believe is some sort of shame on one's masculinity for wearing a full shield (or perceived peer pressure).  Make shields mandatory and save teeth, eyes and careers.

The problem is the weight. Cages, bubbles, etc., add weight to the helmet and increase the amount of effort it takes to turn your head, which is something pros really need to be able to do as fast as possible given the speed of the game. You'll never see pros wear a cage or anything unless they absolutely have to because it's so restricting. They want the helmet to be as light as possible. 

This is why Bauer can't seem to phase out their old 4500 helmet. They have tried to convince people that pretty much everything else they sell is better for your brain, but that old bare-bones 4500 is as popular as ever. 504g for the 4500 compared to 597g for the top of the line Re-Akt. 

CCft7ICl.jpg

Weight/restricting are just excuses to not wear them. The players now have worn them their entire life and made it into the nhl wearing one, why is it now so restricting? These guys don't want to wear them because it's not tough or manly to do so, like visors. Don cherry used to laugh at the sissy Russians for wearing visors.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.