Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Someone (Yost?) had an article that showed with every rule change pertaining to headgear, the number of stick to head and headshot injuries in general went up.  The more one feels that they are protected or the other guy is protected, the more liberties are taken.  As Mork points out the idea of wearing a football style helmet with shield will never fly. Too heavy.

Wore a cage in high-school then a bubble in college, then nothing at all for a while, then a half-shield, now back to a full-cage... finally smartened up! :).

The issue with the cage is vision, you eventually get used to looking through the bars, but the problem is with pucks in tight near your feet.    When you glance down with a cage you don't see the ice very well because of the angle... your're looking through more bars and the chin cup gets in the way too.  So you learn to be very deliberate with tilting your head down to find loose pucks in tight... which is OK for beer league, but if you're getting paid millions to perform, playing full check, and have full medical staff on-hand, it makes more sense to go with nothing at all, or at least a half-shield to protect your eyes, but even those aren't going to protect your eyes in all situations.   

A close friend of mine who I played with in college lost his eye playing beer league, a shot deflected and went straight up into his face destroying his eye.    He had a young family at the time and he reached out to all his former teammates to make sure they were going full cage/bubble if still playing beer league because he'll never see the same again.

Wore a cage in high-school then a bubble in college, then nothing at all for a while, then a half-shield, now back to a full-cage... finally smartened up! :).

The issue with the cage is vision, you eventually get used to looking through the bars, but the problem is with pucks in tight near your feet.    When you glance down with a cage you don't see the ice very well because of the angle... your're looking through more bars and the chin cup gets in the way too.  So you learn to be very deliberate with tilting your head down to find loose pucks in tight... which is OK for beer league, but if you're getting paid millions to perform, playing full check, and have full medical staff on-hand, it makes more sense to go with nothing at all, or at least a half-shield to protect your eyes, but even those aren't going to protect your eyes in all situations.   

A close friend of mine who I played with in college lost his eye playing beer league, a shot deflected and went straight up into his face destroying his eye.    He had a young family at the time and he reached out to all his former teammates to make sure they were going full cage/bubble if still playing beer league because he'll never see the same again.

When I was 22 and first started playing beer league I wore a half-shield.  A friend of mine was cut across the chin two weeks in a row pretty good.  I decided enough of that and went and got a cage.  The next game I was cross-checked in the face so hard that it dented the cage and turned my helmet sideways.  It would have been just below where the half-shield was....

The next week I had a new cage.. but only because I had no dental work to pay for.

Last year I played with the damn fishbowl for awhile.  It's nice but it's too damn hot.  I agree with you 100% about the cage.  The vision interference is annoying and it doesn't ever go away.  I liked the shield for that, but that against having my face in one piece?  That's an easy decision.

To be honest, though it’d never happen, the real answer is to take the cages off the kids and teach them to keep sticks and pucks down. The drawback of all the equipment is that there is a certain amount of impunity in getting sticks and elbows up. Plus, and I speak from experience, refs at lower levels are absolute garbage. Many little bastards come through accordingly...

A pickup buddy of mine I play with had a shot deflected and ride up to his eye. Didn't hit him square in the eye but right above. Months later he still has blurred vision. I was there. Blood all over the place. And this is roller. The pUck isnt as heavy as the one in ice. He wears a cage now.

As for vision, if you have great vision, even in just one eye, you have an edge over other players who wear a cage. Lots of players don't have great vision cage or no cage, I understand that. But you have to protect your face, the eyes, the jaw etc and most players dont do it at all or just do a half-job protecting it. I think vision or no vision, a cage is the answer.

Edited by Marvelo

When I was 22 and first started playing beer league I wore a half-shield. A friend of mine was cut across the chin two weeks in a row pretty good. I decided enough of that and went and got a cage. The next game I was cross-checked in the face so hard that it dented the cage and turned my helmet sideways. It would have been just below where the half-shield was....

The next week I had a new cage.. but only because I had no dental work to pay for.

Last year I played with the damn fishbowl for awhile. It's nice but it's too damn hot. I agree with you 100% about the cage. The vision interference is annoying and it doesn't ever go away. I liked the shield for that, but that against having my face in one piece? That's an easy decision.

I wear a shield/cage hybrid. Doesn't get hot or fog up like the fish bowl and the vision is much better than a full cage. And I get the protection of the cage in front of my mouth. It's nice. I like it.

Not 5-3-4?

I'm not smart enough to get either joke.

As for the cages, the players are nearly anonymous now. Neither the league nor the players would want to make the players completely indistinguishable from one another. Marketing trumps safety. Money trumps everything, as we're learning.

I wear a shield/cage hybrid. Doesn't get hot or fog up like the fish bowl and the vision is much better than a full cage. And I get the protection of the cage in front of my mouth. It's nice. I like it.

That's probably where I would try and go next if I was playing regularly (or at all recently).

When I was 22 and first started playing beer league I wore a half-shield.  A friend of mine was cut across the chin two weeks in a row pretty good.  I decided enough of that and went and got a cage.  The next game I was cross-checked in the face so hard that it dented the cage and turned my helmet sideways.  It would have been just below where the half-shield was....

Last year I played with the damn fishbowl for awhile.  It's nice but it's too damn hot.  I agree with you 100% about the cage.  The vision interference is annoying and it doesn't ever go away.  I liked the shield for that, but that against having my face in one piece?  That's an easy decision.

Got a nasty cut right above my eye playing roller hockey about 15 years ago and have worn the fishbowl ever since. Current one is about 4 years old & have never had issues w/ fogging. Usually tilt the helmet up while on the bench so that it's just sitting on my head & that keeps it cool enough to not have issues. The 2 prior would fog badly but clear up after about 3 seconds of skating. (Always dreaded getting a pass right at the beginning of a shift because recieving it was purely guess work. :lol: )

That play is causing a lot of controversy.  From my view, he stopped his forward momentum and at that point his chance at scoring should have ended.  I am surprised it was counted.  I am sure they will update a ruling to keep that from happening in the future.

Back about 2 years after they added the SO, somebody (want to say it was a Ranger, but not positive) did a between the legs move which technically caused the puck to move away from the net. The league decided to count it which essentially added a clarification that if EITHER the skater or puck are moving towards the net at all times then a move is legal & a shot may be taken.

Pretty sure that during a PS/SO attempt each can halt progress provided the other is still progressing towards the net.

Just one more in a long line of rules that don't get enforced the way they are written.

Do they still make those? Wasn't that an Itech thing? I haven't seen them in stores in a long time.

Do they still make those? Wasn't that an Itech thing? I haven't seen them in stores in a long time.

This is the one I have. I really like it.

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/helmets/hockey-cages-shields/bauer-hockey-faceshield-hybrid-shield.html

Edit: I just read the reviews. Either mine is magic or I don't breathe like other people. I've never sprayed it with anti-fog and I never have to wipe it down. It has never fogged on me, ever.

Edited by ubkev

Interesting. Apparently TRON is making one now too. It's been a few years since I looked and there wasn't anything out there then. I might have to consider finally upgrading my cage.

I could never wear the full cage either as I wasn't used to it having played for many years with just a Cooper helmet. I did eventually compromise and put a Cooper HM40 on a CCM. Much better vision and I never had a stock or puck go through it. 

Edited by Gramps

I'm not smart enough to get either joke.

3-4-5 and 5-12-13 are Pythagorean triplets.

In any event, you had written this, referring to Schopp:  "5-8. That's the Bills' real record," Mike said. Their real record.

I'm still wondering what he based that on.

3-4-5 and 5-12-13 are Pythagorean triplets.

In any event, you had written this, referring to Schopp:  "5-8. That's the Bills' real record," Mike said. Their real record.

I'm still wondering what he based that on.

Pythagoras had kids and numbered them? So who's your daddy?

Google Pythagorean Expectation. Given the point differential in Bills games (they kinda suck, I assume), some nerds decided that the Bills should be 5-8. They've gotten lucky to be 7-6.

When I was 22 and first started playing beer league I wore a half-shield. A friend of mine was cut across the chin two weeks in a row pretty good. I decided enough of that and went and got a cage. The next game I was cross-checked in the face so hard that it dented the cage and turned my helmet sideways. It would have been just below where the half-shield was....

Last year I played with the damn fishbowl for awhile. It's nice but it's too damn hot. I agree with you 100% about the cage. The vision interference is annoying and it doesn't ever go away. I liked the shield for that, but that against having my face in one piece? That's an easy decision.

Yeah same happened to me. I saw a bunch of guys take pucks and sticks to the face and had a few close calls myself. A few us went back to the full cage, first game take two vicious high sticks right to the mouth area. Would've been a mess without the cage, so left it on ever since.

Out of college (and during summer hockey) I went with nothing at all because vision. One thing is for certain, non contact beer league is a hundred times more hazardous than the pro level.

Google Pythagorean Expectation. Given the point differential in Bills games (they kinda suck, I assume), some nerds decided that the Bills should be 5-8. They've gotten lucky to be 7-6.

Did Schopp actually cite that theory?

They easily could be 9-4, too.  Zay doesn't drop a ball in Carolina and McDermott doesn't start Peterman in LA.  There, 9-4.  I'll call it the Aristotelian Expectation.

They easily could be 9-4, too. Zay doesn't drop a ball in Carolina and McDermott doesn't start Peterman in LA. There, 9-4. I'll call it the Aristotelian Expectation.

Lol you think they would have beaten the chargers. You're cute.

The problem with this theory is it assumes you have a good offense. We don't. So you win close games more often

Lol you think they would have beaten the chargers. You're cute.

The problem with this theory is it assumes you have a good offense. We don't. So you win close games more often

They beat the Chiefs (who beat the Chargers twice) and Falcons on the road and somehow a game in front of 20,000 fans in LA is out of reach?  

Edited by Eleven

They easily could be 9-4, too.  Zay doesn't drop a ball in Carolina and McDermott doesn't start Peterman in LA.  There, 9-4.  I'll call it the Aristotelian Expectation.

I forgot Cincinnati.  So 10-3 going into today with Schopp Math, and now 11-3.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.