Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Vegas takes over the 1 spot in the Western Pacific division. Unreal. That division is a mess, but that is quite the accomplishment for an expansion team.

See previous post

Was at the Knights game tonight. What a night for this squad. This team just keeps surprising people. Watching this team since training camp this team is pretty solidly built. Game plan with this squad was to trade almost all of the unrestricted free agents for prospects and picks but I’m guessing that plan is about to change. I think a piece that is unrated about this team is the defense. Colin Miller, Nate Schmidt, and Shea Theodore have been playing real well. This team just works and works hard and have solid goaltending. I’m shocked by both players that came from Florida Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. Watching these guys I just can’t believe you let both go. Yeah I know they felt Smith was overpaid and how do you give up a 30 goal guy in Jonathan? Those are the type of moves I expect from a Sabres GM. I’m Impressed by both. The other surprise is from rookie camp with Alex Tuch. He’s a rookie who is flying under the radar. He’s a big guy that can skate and he goes in the corners and usually comes out with the puck. Almost every game he has played he had quality opportunities or set up his teammates. He has 15 points this season but for a team like Minnesota to trade him to us is just crazy because I can’t believe you give up on a player like that. For a team that most thought would have trouble scoring goals that isn’t the case.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

See previous post

Was at the Knights game tonight. What a night for this squad. This team just keeps surprising people. Watching this team since training camp this team is pretty solidly built. Game plan with this squad was to trade almost all of the unrestricted free agents for prospects and picks but I’m guessing that plan is about to change. I think a piece that is unrated about this team is the defense. Colin Miller, Nate Schmidt, and Shea Theodore have been playing real well. This team just works and works hard and have solid goaltending. I’m shocked by both players that came from Florida Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. Watching these guys I just can’t believe you let both go. Yeah I know they felt Smith was overpaid and how do you give up a 30 goal guy in Jonathan? Those are the type of moves I expect from a Sabres GM. I’m Impressed by both. The other surprise is from rookie camp with Alex Tuch. He’s a rookie who is flying under the radar. He’s a big guy that can skate and he goes in the corners and usually comes out with the puck. Almost every game he has played he had quality opportunities or set up his teammates. He has 15 points this season but for a team like Minnesota to trade him to us is just crazy because I can’t believe you give up on a player like that. For a team that most thought would have trouble scoring goals that isn’t the case.

I think it comes to the fact with Marchessault that they didn't really have a place for him in their top six and he's an all offense player.  He's a luxury for Vegas for sure.  He'll likely get locked up by them to buy up a little bit of cap.  As for Smith, he never found his magic after his first good season in Florida.  I think it just comes down to crunching numbers after you sign extensions with: Barkov, Trochek, Huberdeau, Matheson, in the last season as well as Bjugstad/Ekblad the season before.  I'm sure they'd rather have not paid Yandle in the long thick of it.  

#pens acquire defenseman Jamie Oleksiak from #Stars for conditional 2019 4th-round pick. Pittsburgh got a 4th from Arizona in earlier trade.

Per Steve Whyno

That's the kid that's 12 feet tall that the board wanted to draft to play with Tyler Myers so that Rick could say "Towers of Power!"

Why are they playing a 2pm game in Toronto on a Tuesday?  Is there a holiday up there that I didn't know about?

December 26th is Boxing Day in Canada.  A holiday, but not a stat holiday. So, most have it off with pay, but not everyone.  Pretty much the whole country is shut down from 5:00 PM on the 24th until the morning of the 27th.  If you guys want to invade, there is your opportunity.

December 26th is Boxing Day in Canada.  A holiday, but not a stat holiday. So, most have it off with pay, but not everyone.  Pretty much the whole country is shut down from 5:00 PM on the 24th until the morning of the 27th.  If you guys want to invade, there is your opportunity.

No, they're literally playing right now.

December 26th is Boxing Day in Canada. A holiday, but not a stat holiday. So, most have it off with pay, but not everyone. Pretty much the whole country is shut down from 5:00 PM on the 24th until the morning of the 27th. If you guys want to invade, there is your opportunity.

Don't give tiny hands any ideas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.