Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

I can't imagine Larsson has much leverage he can use in arbitration. He'll end up signing before the hearing. I could envision a disgruntled player at the end of the process.

Would you say he'd be grumpy after all this plays out?

Any interest in Jagr? I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Sabres uni.

Yes, not because I think he'd be a good fit here but mostly because I want to hear RJ yell, "EICHEL TO JAGR BACK TO EICHEL HE SCOOUUUUUURRRRRRRGHHHHHHSSS! TOP SHELF WHERE GRANDPA JAGR HIDES THE COOKIES!!!!"

9 out of 10 players who file for arbitration sign with their club before the hearing.

So what's the benefit of filing? Leverage? Lord help us if either one thinks they're irreplaceable. Its possible to burn a bridge in hockey? Right?

I can't imagine Larsson has much leverage he can use in arbitration. He'll end up signing before the hearing. I could envision a disgruntled player at the end of the process.

I think both of them are nuts.

I wonder if the signing of Johnson was a response to Lehner rejecting his qualifying offer? The Sabres wanted a goalie in place because they expect Lehner to be awarded more than they want to pay in arbitration?

That would explain the contract price for Johnson.

I wonder if the signing of Johnson was a response to Lehner rejecting his qualifying offer? The Sabres wanted a goalie in place because they expect Lehner to be awarded more than they want to pay in arbitration?

That would explain the contract price for Johnson.

The signing of Johnson was protection - against contract, injury, or performance - if Lehrer doesn't or can't do his job we are relying on three rookies and and a guy with 30 NHL games

Why does there have to be ulterior motives? Looks like a necessary move from a GM not intending to throw away a season.

$2.5 million is what a proven backup - as opposed to reclamation projects we could have signed - costs.

So what's the benefit of filing? Leverage? Lord help us if either one thinks they're irreplaceable. Its possible to burn a bridge in hockey? Right?

I think both of them are nuts.

It's part of the business. If they accepted the qualifying deal then their agents aren't doing their job and should be fired or JBOT offered them a ludicrous contract and should be fired. 

I think upwards of 30 players across the league filed for arbitration today and I'd be shocked if more than a handful actually make it to arbitration.

Calgary needs a quality goalie, and we could use a D-Man.  Perfect fit.  Maybe take Lack off their hands.

I'm definitely for trading Lehner if we can get someone to bite. Lehner can be a solid goalie but is useless in a shootout. Unfortunately I only made it to 2 games last year, and both ended with us losing in a shootout with Lehner not stopping a single shot.

@kristen_shilton

#Leafs announce RFA Zach Hyman has signed a four-year extension with AAV of $2.25 million

And Galchenyuck re-signs with Montreal on a 3 year deal

$14.7M / 3 years, $4.9M cap hit

Seems like a steal for them. I would have loved to pay him that 

Edited by WildCard

What if the arb gives Lehner 5.5mil or better, then what?

Can we trade him back to Ottawa for Colin White, mumbles.  I still don't dislike Robin, he has a Viking type aura, and if he could work on the small ticks in his game he could improve.  I'm good with starting him and if we get something too good to pass up then move on from him.  However, for now he's fine.

Can we trade him back to Ottawa for Colin White, mumbles. I still don't dislike Robin, he has a Viking type aura, and if he could work on the small ticks in his game he could improve. I'm good with starting him and if we get something too good to pass up then move on from him. However, for now he's fine.

I'll never understand the dislike for Lehner. We've been so spoiled with awesome goalies in the past is the only explanation I can think of. He was shelled last year with shots and we couldn't get the puck out of our own zone.

He's gonna look great this year with a much improved defense in front of him.

I'll never understand the dislike for Lehner. We've been so spoiled with awesome goalies in the past is the only explanation I can think of. He was shelled last year with shots and we couldn't get the puck out of our own zone.

He's gonna look great this year with a much improved defense in front of him.

I don't like his locker room presence. He calls out his teammates in the media. Anybody who's played hockey knows this is a big no-no for a goaltender.

I don't like his locker room presence. He calls out his teammates in the media. Anybody who's played hockey knows this is a big no-no for a goaltender.

I've never played professional hockey but I know that Miller did it and it seemed to light a fire under the teams butt when Lehner did it. If they're allowing a league worst sog why must the goalie suffer in silence? It impacts the goalie perceived value.

I've never played professional hockey but I know that Miller did it and it seemed to light a fire under the teams butt when Lehner did it. If they're allowing a league worst sog why must the goalie suffer in silence? It impacts the goalie perceived value.

The difference is Lehner complained publicly about the way they play, specifically about Jack being careless with the puck, thinking he's better than he is, etc..   Maybe I'm old school, but when I played, goalies kept their mouths shut and stopped the puck.   They're not out there battling in all areas of the ice, so just keep your mouth shut and do your job.     If a goalie mouths off, he better stop every damn puck that comes his way.    Goalies should just worry about doing their own jobs, like everybody else on the team... you don't hear forwards calling out Lehner when he lets in a soft goal, or gives up 8 of 8 shootout chances.     It creates a divide in the lockerroom between player and goaltender.   

Edited by pi2000

The difference is Lehner complained publicly about the way they play, specifically about Jack being careless with the puck, thinking he's better than he is, etc..   Maybe I'm old school, but when I played, goalies kept their mouths shut and stopped the puck.   They're not out there battling in all areas of the ice, so just keep your mouth shut and do your job.     If a goalie mouths off, he better stop every damn puck that comes his way.    Goalies should just worry about doing their own jobs, like everybody else on the team... you don't hear forwards calling out Lehner when he lets in a soft goal, or gives up 8 of 8 shootout chances.     It creates a divide in the lockerroom between player and goaltender.   

But surely there is a line? If you're a goalie and your team are giving up 40 shots a night and 3 breakaways and tens of odd man rushes, surely at some point (even if you let in soft goals) you complain? Maybe you let in those soft goals because you're tired from all the shots you've faced etc. Plus if no forwards score in the shoot-out, I don't think you can complain your goalie didn't stop any. A team that requires a goalie to save all but one and at the most two shots a night should never call out the goalie. Even if those two goals were soft as hell. I think a team that is winning or losing 5-4 every night has a right to publicly call out the goalie. Maybe just different philosophies towards the game though.

I didn't see a McDavid thread, so I'll drop this here:

Now that McD has set the market, does any GM have the guts to give Draisaitl an offer sheet and force Edmonton to either A) lose the Drai/Malkin to their McD/Crosby or B) spend over $20M on two forwards and force them to forsake depth earlier than they'd hoped?

Now that McD has set the market, does any GM have the guts to give Draisaitl an offer sheet and force Edmonton to either A) lose the Drai/Malkin to their McD/Crosby or B) spend over $20M on two forwards and force them to forsake depth earlier than they'd hoped?

Hopefully.  It would be some nice payback.  Sabres don't have the room to do it though.

1. No, but somebody with the cap space totally should. It'd be glorious to watch Chiarelli attempt to fix that problem.

2. Were I a dues paying member of the NHLPA, I'd be incredibly pissed at McJesus right now. Why he left money on the table when he absolutely didn't have to is beyond me. Draisaitl and Jack, among others lost a few million with one stroke of Connor's pen. It's not like you're not getting locked out anyway. Get what you can get.

2. Were I a dues paying member of the NHLPA, I'd be incredibly pissed at McJesus right now. Why he left money on the table when he absolutely didn't have to is beyond me. Draisaitl and Jack, among others lost a few million with one stroke of Connor's pen. It's not like you're not getting locked out anyway. Get what you can get.

I know it's a delicate balance, but other players can't reasonably fault the guy for wanting to give consideration to his team's ability to compete.

Are NFL players likewise pissed at Brady for having repeatedly left money on the table so that he can compete for a Super Bowl? I tend to think not. And that's in the NFL, where the brutality of the game and the nature of non-guaranteed contracts make it far more imperative that players *get theirs* while the getting is good.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Can we trade him back to Ottawa for Colin White, mumbles.  I still don't dislike Robin, he has a Viking type aura, and if he could work on the small ticks in his game he could improve.  I'm good with starting him and if we get something too good to pass up then move on from him.  However, for now he's fine.

I like Lehner too, but not at 6 mil (if he gets that in arb, similar to the Jones new contract).  I don't think he is $3.5 mil better than Chad.  And Linus could be the future. Use the $3.5 mil elsewhere (LW for example.)

Edited by Tondas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.