Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Five players in the league have a cap hit of $9.5 million.

Fourteen make $8 million or more.

The highest second contract signed in the league under this CBA is Tarasenko at $7.5 million.

He signed after a 37-goal, 73-point season.

The next highest is Gaudreau at $6.75, which he signed after a 30-goal 78-point season.

Why does Jack deserve even $8, let alone $10?

Edited by dudacek

The highest second contract signed in the league under this CBA is Tarasenko at $7.5 million.

The next highest is Gaudreau at $6.75, which he signed after a 30-goal 78-point season.

Because of the CONCEPT of what he MIGHT become?

Edited by ParkMeadow

Why does Jack deserve even $8 , let alone $10?

Would $8M now be any higher as percentage of the cap than Gaudreau or Tarasenko at the time of signing? Probably not. Also, Jack plays center, they're both wingers.

That said, I do think they're the best comparables, and would be surprised if Jack got above $8M by any significant degree.

It all depends on how many FA years we are buying. I would take Jack at 9.5 for 8 years without blinking.

Per Friedman

Further to @TSNRyanRishaug McDavid mention, hearing deal will be around $13.25M for 8 yrs. Big win for EDM to get that term, as opposed to 5

9.5-10 for Jack for 8 years?

I still don't get the talk of McDavid being a comparable for Eichel.

McDavid has established that he's a generational, other-worldly player. Eichel has shown that he's going to be very good great and likely among the better players of his generation.

Not really, he's undoubtedly one of the best players in the game right now and he's only going to be getting better.

I can see Jack getting 8.5-9 for a 5 year deal.

If it means keeping him below $9, I'd be on board for a 5-year deal.

Would $8M now be any higher as percentage of the cap than Gaudreau or Tarasenko at the time of signing? Probably not. Also, Jack plays center, they're both wingers.

That said, I do think they're the best comparables, and would be surprised if Jack got above $8M by any significant degree.

Good point.

I'm hoping and expecting to see Eichel signed up for something in the 8's. I won't lose my shiznit if it's not for 8 years. In fact, if Eichel were to take less term because he's not getting his $10+ payday, I'd be all for it -- it would yet further assure us that we're going to see On A Mission Eichel for the foreseeable future.

Would Eichel still be an RFA at the end of a 5-year deal? I guess that's relevant. We still want some control, in the event he doesn't take a max term deal.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Wouldn't 5 years be the worst possible outcome?

To me it would.  I'd hold firm to 8 years.  If the cap stays the same or goes down in the next 5 years, Jack would still be looking for a raise and that would eat more team cap space percentagewise.

Best possible scenario: bridge deal: three years, $18 million

Do a bridge deal for Sam, not Jack.  Go all 8.  Jack's a sure thing and salaries are only going to rise.

Edited by Tondas

NHL GMs have a tendency to overpaid for past production. Jack's advanced metrics are proving that he is moving into the elite status of players. If I was Botterill and Eichel asked for 10-11 Million AAV for 8 years I'm offering that deal. The first two years might be an overpayment, but years 3-8 would be a bargain. Pay for the future production of the player.

And if an extra 2 million buys the Sabres an extra couple of years in term, even better

NHL GMs have a tendency to overpaid for past production. Jack's advanced metrics are proving that he is moving into the elite status of players. If I was Botterill and Eichel asked for 10-11 Million AAV for 8 years I'm offering that deal. The first two years might be an overpayment, but years 3-8 would be a bargain. Pay for the future production of the player.

Agree. Especially when the Sabres have players in the lineup who can finish Jack's passes.

Please educate me.

I had a sneaking suspicion that 5 would be bad. Is it pretty much 8 years or bust?

I'm no expert on the subject, and I'm assuming True is right that it still buys a UFA year, so 4 would actually be the worst. Because he could have every team in the league bidding as a free agent sooner than that has to be the case, but far enough into the future that the contract and AAV will be much bigger than what he'd get at 8 years this summer. I think.

This is my take and it could be misguided. 

Definitely extend the Eichel this summer if we can. Do it. Release your cash flow; only your payments can secure me.

The trouble is… why would Jack sign this summer? He’s going to have a new up-tempo coach and style; defencemen will actually join the rush and create scoring opportunities. We may be a bit more wild in our own zone but he should be expecting more points this year than last. Why sign before he can see what he can do with Housley and how much more cash that could bring?

Definitely extend the Eichel this summer if we can. Do it. Release your cash flow; only your payments can secure me.

The trouble is… why would Jack sign this summer? He’s going to have a new up-tempo coach and style; defencemen will actually join the rush and create scoring opportunities. We may be a bit more wild in our own zone but he should be expecting more points this year than last. Why sign before he can see what he can do with Housley and how much more cash that could bring?

Because if he signs then he'll get that C on his sweater. 

Because if he signs then he'll get that C on his sweater. 

Don't think that has anything to do with it. I think he would sign now so he can start making more money now

Not Shocking at all...

Hearing that preliminary discussions have begun between the Sabres and Jack Eichel's camp on an extension. He's one year out of his ELS deal

Per LeBrun

:flirt:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.