Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

i dont think anyone cares that much about getting a 'c' on their sweater over making more money. Im sure 99% of the players in the league would take more money over a 'C'

I think it depends on the team and the player. I get the feeling Jack is the kind of guy who wants the C. 

it really is strange how there has been absurd amounts of money raised for cancer research and yet we seem no closer today then 20 years ago to beating and curing cancer...my late Mom always said they don't wish to cure it because it would put so many  out of jobs. Almost makes sense in a sad yet logical way...

it really is strange how there has been absurd amounts of money raised for cancer research and yet we seem no closer today then 20 years ago to beating and curing cancer...my late Mom always said they don't wish to cure it because it would put so many  out of jobs. Almost makes sense in a sad yet logical way...

Cancer is money. Ton of those charities are money grabs anyways. The famous one is some Susan or some lady that starts with an S Memorial Foundation. They donate nothing and sue other breast cancer foundations all the time

Cancer is money. Ton of those charities are money grabs anyways. The famous one is some Susan or some lady that starts with an S Memorial Foundation. They donate nothing and sue other breast cancer foundations all the time

Tread lightly, please.

My cousin works insane hours in a major research institution (and is well compensated after getting her MD and PhD) because she's convinced that the protein combination (I think?) they're working on is going to help unlock a cure for certain kinds of cancers. She's consciously put off or even abandoned the idea of having a family because she wants to work at that lab for 80 or 100 hours a week. God bless her, I say.

A dear friend of mine is a care coordinator for a regional cancer hospital. She is so, so good at her job. She is quite literally an angel among us. She earns a decent living, and is doing God's work at the same time.

I'll stop there.

Oh, and the old trope about how Susan G. Komen only gives 20% of its revenues to the cause is unmitigated horse ######. Last I saw on Charity Navigator (before I cut my 2017 check to SGK), they had administrative costs of about 10.5% and a similar amount of costs associated with staging their events. So, all told, about 20-22% going to overhead. The balance goes partly to research (often cited as the 20% mark) and a host of other cancer-fighting and cancer-preventing efforts.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Tread lightly, please.

My cousin works insane hours in a major research institution (and is well compensated after getting her MD and PhD) because she's convinced that the protein combination (I think?) they're working on is going to help unlock a cure for certain kinds of cancers. She's consciously put off or even abandoned the idea of having a family because she wants to work at that lab for 80 or 100 hours a week. God bless her, I say.

A dear friend of mine is a care coordinator for a regional cancer hospital. She is so, so good at her job. She is quite literally an angel among us. She earns a decent living, and is doing God's work at the same time.

I'll stop there.

Oh, and the old trope about how Susan G. Komen only gives 20% of its revenues to the cause is unmitigated horse ######. Last I saw on Charity Navigator (before I cut my 2017 check to SGK), they had administrative costs of about 10.5% and a similar amount of costs associated with staging their events. So, all told, about 20-22% going to overhead. The balance goes partly to research (often cited as the 20% mark) and a host of other cancer-fighting and cancer-preventing efforts.

People who could theoretically have jobs/make money from cancer not being cured, literally also die from cancer, as well as their family members too

Just saying, everything I've ever read or heard about that foundation is not good. Wounded Warriors is the same way apparently. Not going to act like an expert on these things though; I only give to one charity anyways 

People who could theoretically have jobs/make money from cancer not being cured, literally also die from cancer, as well as their family members too

Sure. And people who smoke and dip still do it anyways; nobody believes it'll ever happen to them

Just saying, everything I've ever read or heard about that foundation is not good. Wounded Warriors is the same way apparently. Not going to act like an expert on these things though; I only give to one charity anyways 

Sure. And people who smoke and dip still do it anyways; nobody believes it'll ever happen to them

Oof. Not your best moment(s).

The idea that the "cancer industry" has some quiet vested interest in perpetuating the disease rather than defeating the disease (gah), is ... well. It's repugnant.

Speaking of cancer, have I mentioned that I really don't want Vanek back?  Not a-tall.

now that is an old school segue of the first order.  Kudos.

Edited by 3putt

Oof. Not your best moment(s).

The idea that the "cancer industry" has some quiet vested interest in perpetuating the disease rather than defeating the disease (gah), is ... well. It's repugnant.

I don't think I can sit this one out. I've heard this same argument/discussion at the thanksgiving dinner table and I simply don't understand where the public is getting information from. Given it is hard to  quantify, but we are making tremendous progress. Patients with extremely aggressive malignant disease have had incredible responses to an innovative therapy.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1407222#t=article

Treatments with a similar mechanism of action (Immunotherapy) have shown striking results in lung, skin, kidney, and other cancers.

I am unsure why the message doesn't reach the public. In 2013 Immunotherapy was the breakthrough of the year in Science magazine. It has been touted on dateline, Time magazine, 60 minutes, etc. The information is out there on these innovative trials and many of these treatments are now available for broad tumor types. Heck, you can hear us talking about it at Canalside in open public forums.

There is also no sum of money you could pay most of us to be silent if we had something better for a patient. Finally, most of us are ego driven and our careers in science are motivated by what becomes of our legacy. If there is another enormous advancement that we have, I cannot imagine how that would be buttoned up. You would have to purchase everyone on my floor along with our families/friends? How would that even work?

i dont think anyone cares that much about getting a 'c' on their sweater over making more money. Im sure 99% of the players in the league would take more money over a 'C'

Agree. Money is the motivating factor in sports and society as a whole.

Agree. Money is the motivating factor in sports and society as a whole.

and it's not that there's anything really wrong with that, all 8m saying is that there is no way the major majority of players will turn down more money or a better contract just for the 'c' on their jersey which is for show mostly today. Think about it this way, if you look at getting the 'c' as a promotion, how many people would want or take a promotion at work if it meant just a title and no additional money or perks? It's more likely a player and their agent would use getting a 'c' as a reason they should get more money or better term, not as a reason o accept a more team friendly deal

I don't think I can sit this one out. I've heard this same argument/discussion at the thanksgiving dinner table and I simply don't understand where the public is getting information from. Given it is hard to  quantify, but we are making tremendous progress. Patients with extremely aggressive malignant disease have had incredible responses to an innovative therapy.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1407222#t=article

Treatments with a similar mechanism of action (Immunotherapy) have shown striking results in lung, skin, kidney, and other cancers.

I am unsure why the message doesn't reach the public. In 2013 Immunotherapy was the breakthrough of the year in Science magazine. It has been touted on dateline, Time magazine, 60 minutes, etc. The information is out there on these innovative trials and many of these treatments are now available for broad tumor types. Heck, you can hear us talking about it at Canalside in open public forums.

There is also no sum of money you could pay most of us to be silent if we had something better for a patient. Finally, most of us are ego driven and our careers in science are motivated by what becomes of our legacy. If there is another enormous advancement that we have, I cannot imagine how that would be buttoned up. You would have to purchase everyone on my floor along with our families/friends? How would that even work?

Also, it doesn't matter how long they have been doing it for or how much money is raised, it doesn't make a cure for cancer any closer to being found. The money only helps them continue to fund research efforts to find it. I think there are very few people in the world horrible enough to be willing to fake finding a cure or advancements of a disease just so that they can continue to work finding one and collect a check. Besides, there are plenty more diseases to find cures for when they are done.......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.