Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

I would of course love to see the Hurricanes move back to Hartford.

But it ain't happening. The Carolinas are just too (potentially) lucrative for the NHL to quit them.

Nostalgia is an ugly thing sometimes.  There is absolutely no other reason for talking about a team up there other than the fact that they used to have the Whalers.

Nostalgia is an ugly thing sometimes.  There is absolutely no other reason for talking about a team up there other than the fact that they used to have the Whalers.

It could be a landing spot for the Islanders once they get thrown out of Barclay's... (ducks).

see the Leafs have already signed their first pick (#18) Timothy Liljegren to a level-entry contract which I assume means he will make the team right away. Their d is pretty bad so it would make sense as I think this guy will be very good on the Leafs. Kinda hoped we'd get him to be honest

see the Leafs have already signed their first pick (#18) Timothy Liljegren to a level-entry contract which I assume means he will make the team right away. Their d is pretty bad so it would make sense as I think this guy will be very good on the Leafs. Kinda hoped we'd get him to be honest

Lots of ELC contracts "slide". He's still unlikely to be a full time NHL-er this season.

Friedman on the Duchene trade front

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-revisits-duchene-trade-situation/

“I will tell you, I have a pretty interesting conversation with one GM after it’s over. I specifically asked him about Draisaitl. He said he didn’t think so. But he thinks the offer sheets are coming. Maybe not this year, but maybe in a year or two.

Friedman reviews dynamics of Duchene trade situation

“And the reason he thinks so is because the quality of free agents are getting lower and lower every year. Guys are re-signing. They’re taking their term and they’re re-signing. How many big guys hit the market now. And I mean we’ve got a big one next year potentially in Tavares. But you look at it – Vlasic is gone. Fowler is gone. Price is gone. Stamkos went last year. McDavid now you know he’s signed for eight years.

“He’s saying we’re getting less and less on the big free agent stars. He thinks the day is coming where we’re going to see a big-time offer sheet.” - Friedman

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-gm-thinks-offer-sheets-coming/

Edited by WildCard

We've already seen them.  You get one every 2-3 years or so.  It's never going to go beyond that.  These GMs have no interest in making enemies or else it would have become frequent a long time ago.  The quote about the anonymous GM sounds to me like "it's coming... it won't be me, but it's coming".  I think most of them have that "it won't be me" attitude.

Last week, Connor McDavid obliterated that ceiling by signing the highest average annual value contract in NHL history, at $12.5M for eight years. (There was an initial verbal agreement at $13.25M, but McDavid, skittish about the reaction to the original number, walked it back.) He will make $15M — the maximum allowable at this time — in the 2018–19 and 2019–20 seasons. Almost 87 per cent of that will be in the form of signing bonuses.

So what does this mean for the rest of the league?

“Of course, the landscape has changed,” one agent said this week.

“It is a significant reset,” added a general manager. “It pulls up everyone behind him.”

“The biggest change is who qualifies to break the $10-million barrier,” said another executive. “Before Connor signed his contract, it wasn’t about individual trophies. It was about Stanley Cups.”

He pointed out that while Patrick Kane, Anze Kopitar and Jonathan Toews — the three previous players with average salaries at or above $10M — do possess some individual accolades, the major reason they broke that barrier was being a cornerstone of multiple championship teams.

“That isn’t a shot at Connor, who is a great player,” he continued. “It just means you can’t make that argument anymore.”

“(We) will say that, but teams may not,” said a second agent. “I can see teams responding, ‘This is a special circumstance. Do you have a 20-year-old who has won the Hart, the Pearson and the Art Ross? He’s an outlier.’”

Good summer for new coaches. Bob Boughner, Travis Green and Phil Housley all came in around $1M per season to start. (As mentioned, Tocchet was a little above that.) That’s a little higher than the entry spot even two years ago.

From Friedman's final 30 Thoughts of the season

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-summer-market-matt-duchene-still-open/

Edited by WildCard

BTW, I heard on NHL Network the other day that the NHLPA hates the salary cap with a passion, and wants to do what the MLB does

That is a terrible idea. Hockey parity or at least the appearance of parity is what makes it a great sport. I don't want the Leafs just buying all the good players and winning every championship because they can afford to. That isn't a competition anymore. One of the reasons I do not follow basketball is due to the complete lack of parity. 2-3 teams every year seem to buy the top guys and those are the ones. 

That is a terrible idea. Hockey parity or at least the appearance of parity is what makes it a great sport. I don't want the Leafs just buying all the good players and winning every championship because they can afford to. That isn't a competition anymore. One of the reasons I do not follow basketball is due to the complete lack of parity. 2-3 teams every year seem to buy the top guys and those are the ones. 

Well the NBA has a salary cap. It's just useless because their revenue is absurd and you only really need to spread it out to 4-5 players. It'd be like using the NHL's cap for a 3v3 tournament 

BTW, I heard on NHL Network the other day that the NHLPA hates the salary cap with a passion, and wants to do what the MLB does

Donald Fehr wants what MLB has?  Imagine that!  

The systems are broken because they pay older players based on prior achievements and not current players on current achievements.  Why not just use fancy stats to review all contracts signed over the past 20 years and then derive a salary algorithm that extracts the key stat metrics for each "role" on the team and then assigns that value to a player based on their prior season performance?  You could then have salaries be automatically partitioned out of a set allocation that each team gets (and is equal).

So every team has a salary system to pay its roster $65M next season.

Avg goals over past 3 seasons = $X per goal

Avg assist over past 3 seasons = $Y per assist

Players who are drafted get their first 3 years on controlled salaries to establish their baseline performance metrics which are used in year 4 to determine their pay.

Players are able to move to a new team in their 6th year, 10th year, and then can move every year once they hit 13 years of service.

Player movement is limited because you can only pull in so many 35 goal scorers before you have broken the bank.  

I made all of this up without any real thought over the creation of this post... (3 minutes).

Donald Fehr wants what MLB has?  Imagine that!  

The systems are broken because they pay older players based on prior achievements and not current players on current achievements.  Why not just use fancy stats to review all contracts signed over the past 20 years and then derive a salary algorithm that extracts the key stat metrics for each "role" on the team and then assigns that value to a player based on their prior season performance?  You could then have salaries be automatically partitioned out of a set allocation that each team gets (and is equal).

So every team has a salary system to pay its roster $65M next season.

Avg goals over past 3 seasons = $X per goal

Avg assist over past 3 seasons = $Y per assist

Players who are drafted get their first 3 years on controlled salaries to establish their baseline performance metrics which are used in year 4 to determine their pay.

Players are able to move to a new team in their 6th year, 10th year, and then can move every year once they hit 13 years of service.

Player movement is limited because you can only pull in so many 35 goal scorers before you have broken the bank.  

I made all of this up without any real thought over the creation of this post... (3 minutes).

This is exactly what Friedman wrote in his piece I linked above. The McDavid contract signals a massive change in contracts going forward. 

Which, oddly enough is what they have been proposing & pushing since 2004. IF they are willing to lose 2 entire seasons they may get there. IMHO, no way that happens. Would more likely expect to see a lost 1/2 season & minor tweaks to the current system when some ody opts out of the current CBA.

Darn shame Saskin let his paranoia get the better of him. It really seemed there was a possibility (outside as it was) of the players & owners eventually becoming true partners. The legacy of the Eagle continues to live on in Fehr. Goodenow was a direct reaction to Eagleson & Fehr essentially is as well.

At least they keep making these CBA's long enough that we only lose 1/2 - full seasons every 7-8 years. <_<

Always thought payment should be based on ice time, multiplied by team success.

It would work like this:

* You divide the players share of the revenue by the 620 positions in the league to determine the average salary.

* A forward who plays 15 minutes a night or a defenceman who plays 20 gets the average for their base pay.

* Those who play more or less get bonuses and claw backs based on their percentage played of average available ice time.

* Once you determine the individual base, you multiply it by your team's point percentage - players on winning teams get more, losing teams get less.

Not sure how you account for goalies, and you'd need a formula to account for injuries, guys in the press box, trades and mathematical oddities. The mathematicians can figure those out.

But as a basic system it works: you get paid for winning and your contribution to those wins.

GMs don't have to worry about contracts or salary caps, just talent and chemistry.

And the coach's hammer of ice time would gain huge significance.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.