Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Traditionally, the Mason-Dixon line is the South (see also: Dixie). Since the US Civil War, Maryland has been disowned as they didn't commit treason against the US. As the Northern Virginia suburbs have filled up with city people, many people don't consider it the South, but anywhere outside that area is pretty Southern in practice. West Virginia is not the South, by nature of them seceding from Traitor Virginia during the war and joining the Union. 

I'd agree with this. It always amazes me how the south is home to so many super patriots while also being the only part of the country to actually commit treason on a large scale.

In fairness to those in or of the 5 boroughs -- the northern part of Bronx is fairly upstate to them.

The "South/North" thing seems to have become something of a state of mind. Maybe more a rural/urban thing?

When I take county roads to points remote in the 8 counties of WNY, I see puh-lenty of confederate flags. 

I'd agree with this. It always amazes me how the south is home to so many super patriots while also being the only part of the country to actually commit treason on a large scale.

The Civil War was based on them not being able to be racists any more, but they regained faith in their country when they figured out they could still legislate racism and keep things mostly the same.

In fairness to those in or of the 5 boroughs -- the northern part of Bronx is fairly upstate to them.

The "South/North" thing seems to have become something of a state of mind. Maybe more a rural/urban thing?

When I take county roads to points remote in the 8 counties of WNY, I see puh-lenty of confederate flags. 

Nothing like flying the flag of people that tried to kill your ancestors! Northern Confederates are D.U.M.B.

The Civil War was based on them not being able to be racists any more, but they regained faith in their country when they figured out they could still legislate racism and keep things mostly the same.

Nothing like flying the flag of people that tried to kill your ancestors! Northern Confederates are D.U.M.B.

Always gives me a chuckle wondering how many brain cells these folks are operating with. Really stupid.

It is absolutely an urban/rural thing. Holds true in every single state.

Marc-Andre Fleury is at a .942sv% this year in 18 starts. His career average is .912%

I bring this up because looking at some stats around Vegas, some of this is just them outperforming career averages. Interestingly, the Knights have a 10.2sh% where as the Sabres are at dead last in the NHL with 7.5% and 19th in shots for.

Vegas is so weird to analyze. Basically their entire team, individually, is having a career season. Yet, the team-level stats don't have any flashing neon signs pointing to a cliff they're going to fall off of. I think there's likely to be some regression (be it this year or next), but I don't think they're poised to totally crash like the Avs and Flames of recent past.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.