Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

At the Next Board of Governors Meeting a change to the playoff format will probably be discussed. Possibly back to 1-8, with the Division Winners getting the top two spots, 3-8 the best conference record.

3-8 should be most points. Why's it matter if I beat Ottawa 4 times or if I beat Edmonton and Vancouver in both meetings?

3-8 should be most points. Why's it matter if I beat Ottawa 4 times or if I beat Edmonton and Vancouver in both meetings?

This is correct, I should have put most points overall determines 3-8 per conference.

What a whackadoo concept. If you're not going to win your division, what'd be the point of playing the non-conference games? You'd risk scenarios around this time of year where eastern teams vying for a slot between 3 and 8 would just tank games against western opponents.

This is correct, I should have put most points overall determines 3-8 per conference.

Think the point of this too is to get away from teams playing juggernauts in the opening round. i.e. Washington having to play Pittsburgh in the 2nd round every year. It kills ratings and isn't fair to teams 

What a whackadoo concept. If you're not going to win your division, what'd be the point of playing the non-conference games? You'd risk scenarios around this time of year where eastern teams vying for a slot between 3 and 8 would just tank games against western opponents.

I don't see why.  Positioning for the playoff brackets are still based on relative position.  So Division winner are 1-2 seed, first two WC teams are 3-4 seed (and so also have home ice advantage in the first round) and WC teams 3-6 play the 1-4 seeds, 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc.

I don't see why.  Positioning for the playoff brackets are still based on relative position.  So Division winner are 1-2 seed, first two WC teams are 3-4 seed (and so also have home ice advantage in the first round) and WC teams 3-6 play the 1-4 seeds, 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc.

Ahh. I think I see now. Okay. 

The idea is that conference finishers #3 to #8 will qualify for playoffs based on their total points (including non-conference games), but then they get re-sorted based on their conference record?

But I'm not sure that distinction makes a difference.

If I'm a team sitting solidly at #5 or #6 in the conference with 12 games to go, why would I give a hoot about my non-conference games? I'd just concentrate on my conference games.

Maybe I am missing something.

Ahh. I think I see now. Okay. 

The idea is that conference finishers #3 to #8 will qualify for playoffs based on their total points (including non-conference games), but then they get re-sorted based on their conference record?

But I'm not sure that distinction makes a difference.

If I'm a team sitting solidly at #5 or #6 in the conference with 12 games to go, why would I give a hoot about my non-conference games? I'd just concentrate on my conference games.

Maybe I am missing something.

I mean if you bomb in conference you won't make the playoffs anyways but if the tiebreaker is conference points or division points that makes sense. 

Personally I would rather they change it up so you play the western teams only 1 time each year and alternate home and away. Add those extra games back into the division games to make them rivalry games. 6 division games sounds like fun. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

I guess I'm reading that differently than some others.  When they say "3-8 the best conference record" I don't interpret that as saying non-conference games will be ignored; I just see that for each conference, the best record determines the 3-8 seeding.

Okay - I see that as well.

I think I'm being skewed by how the NFL harps on "conference record" for the purpose of playoff tiebreakers.

Marc-Andre Fleury is at a .942sv% this year in 18 starts. His career average is .912%

I bring this up because looking at some stats around Vegas, some of this is just them outperforming career averages. Interestingly, the Knights have a 10.2sh% where as the Sabres are at dead last in the NHL with 7.5% and 19th in shots for. 

Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, who has set a priority on filling the lower bowl at PNC Arena for all home games, will implement a plan for tonight's Ottawa game allowing everyone to sit in the lower level. Or the suites, if need be. Even the owner's suite. Story coming.

Marc-Andre Fleury is at a .942sv% this year in 18 starts. His career average is .912%

I bring this up because looking at some stats around Vegas, some of this is just them outperforming career averages. Interestingly, the Knights have a 10.2sh% where as the Sabres are at dead last in the NHL with 7.5% and 19th in shots for. 

The style of play is a large part of save percentage.

At the Next Board of Governors Meeting a change to the playoff format will probably be discussed. Possibly back to 1-8, with the Division Winners getting the top two spots, 3-8 the best conference record.

Why have divisions or conferences at all, then?

They're doing this because of Philly and the two New York teams and where they are situated this year, obviously.

Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, who has set a priority on filling the lower bowl at PNC Arena for all home games, will implement a plan for tonight's Ottawa game allowing everyone to sit in the lower level. Or the suites, if need be. Even the owner's suite. Story coming.

I'm sure all the Raleigh Chet and Muffy types who shelled out extra for the higher priced seats will be thrilled to now be sitting with all the sister fisters who only paid for nosebleeds.

Score one for the working class though.

I'm sure all the Raleigh Chet and Muffy types who shelled out extra for the higher priced seats will be thrilled to now be sitting with all the sister fisters who only paid for nosebleeds.

Score one for the working class though.

I choose lower seats because I like to watch the game that way, not for the company.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.