2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

It's a terrible idea to put all of your top talent on one line.

Having the top talent on two lines really hasn't worked too well over the past two seasons either.

I fully expect the team to struggle over the first month and a half as they learn Housley's System, and Jack, O'Reilly and Okposo to learn it the quickest

History has shown that 80% of all NHL Teams in playoff spots in December make it. Therefore it's imperative for the Sabres to gain as many points as possible early in the season. That top line gives them the best chance to something they do not do well, score goals.

If the Reinhart line struggles, move Okposo to it. But I believe DB gave up on the ROR-Jack Combo too quickly.

I would really like to see Jack play with his team's best talent for once. Eventually his line mates will probably be Nylander and Mittlestadt, until then run with this for awhile.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I disagree that Eichel needs to play with the best players: he needs to play with people who can get him the puck, get to the net and get out of his way.

Ultimately, Fasching will be the digger, Jack the creator and Nylander the finisher and they will dominate.

This year, I'd really like to see Baptiste to get a shot beside Jack out of training camp. Kid has wheels and a nose for the net and I think he's ready.

Line 1

LW Evander Kane

C  Ryan O'Reilly

RW Kyle Okposo

DEF1

RHD Rasmus Ristolainen

LHD Marco Scandella

Line 2

LW Alexander Nylander (We can only pray he's ready)

C  Jack Eichel

RW Sam Reinhart

DEF 2

RHD Viktor Antipin

LHD Jake McCabe

Line 3

LW Benoit Pouliot

C  Johan Larrsson

RW Jason Pominville

DEF 3

RHD Zach Bogosian

LHD Nathan Beaulieu

Line 4

LW Matt Moulson

C   Zemgus Girgensons

RW Justin Bailey

Having the top talent on two lines really hasn't worked too well over the past two seasons either.

I fully expect the team to struggle over the first month and a half as they learn Housley's System, and Jack, O'Reilly and Okposo to learn it the quickest

History has shown that 80% of all NHL Teams in playoff spots in December make it. Therefore it's imperative for the Sabres to gain as many points as possible early in the season. That top line gives them the best chance to something they do not do well, score goals.

If the Reinhart line struggles, move Okposo to it. But I believe DB gave up on the ROR-Jack Combo too quickly.

I would really like to see Jack play with his team's best talent for once. Eventually his line mates will probably be Nylander and Mittlestadt, until then run with this for awhile.

I want talent spread across 3 lines

Sorry Brawndo, but I cannot understate how much I hate stats like this. The NFL always has something similar, where some 65% of teams or whatever that start 0-2 don't make the playoffs. That's correlation, not causation; bad teams don't make the playoffs, and bad teams are more likely to start 0-2, or be bad by December in the NHL's case. 

This whole scenario just reminds me more why I wanted Kane traded. I have no idea where to put him other than the 3rd, because he can't freaking play with our top talent

Edited by WildCard

This whole scenario just reminds me more why I wanted Kane traded. I have no idea where to put him other than the 3rd, because he can't freaking play with our top talent

I dont think that is accurate. The last 3rd of the season he looked perfectly fine in our top 6. Really, he looked perfectly fine wherever he was in the lineup. He didnt perform ealrier in the top 6 because he was still dealing with broken ribs. He was moved to the 3rd line, healed up, began to put up points, and moved back into the top 6 where he continued to put up points.

Bailey or Baptiste?  Looks like Bailey has the advantage since he played some LW last year.  RW seems pretty set for at least a couple years.  Should Baptiste learn the left side quickly to have a shot at the big club?

What if it was something like:

Kane-Eichel-Baptiste(if deemed ready)

Nylander(if ready)-ROR-Okposo

Pouliout-Reinhart-Pomminstein

Girgensons-Larsson-Bailey

Scandella-Risto

McCabe-Antipin

Baloo-Bogo

This is hoping that the young Guns step up a lot, and that we somehow get rid of Moulson.

Also with this, I like our 3rd line much better.

Edited by Sabresforlife

ROR-Eichel-Okposo

Jack needs to be with top wingers. ROR takes defensive zone draws allowing Eichel to grab the puck and startbtge transition out of the zone. This line combo also should dramatically improve 5v5 scoring

Kane-Reinhart-Bailey/Baptiste who ever wins the job out of camp

Reinhart returns to his natural position with two speedy wingers

Pouliot-Larsson-Pominville

Pouliot and Pommers drive possession, something the Sabres third line has not done in a while

Girgensons-Josefson-Fasching

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Antipin

McCabe-Bogo

Lehner/Johnson

Moulson or D-Lo and Gorges extra

^This is where I'm at.

What if it was something like:

Kane-Eichel-Baptiste(if deemed ready)

Nylander(if ready)-ROR-Okposo

Pouliout-Reinhart-Pomminstein

Girgensons-Larsson-Bailey

Scandella-Risto

McCabe-Antipin

Baloo-Bogo

This is hoping that the young Guns step up a lot, and that we somehow get rid of Moulson.

Also with this, I like our 3rd line much better.

I could see Matty Mo playing on any of the bottom three lines (and Nylander in Rochester).  I think Matt will be in the mix and they'll see if they what they can get out of him with the new system- give him every chance to earn his salary.  Who knows?  Maybe he'll do it.  He got a bad rep under XGMTM (earned it) but maybe he's taken it to heart and has adjusted his off-season training.  He's got the skill, if he can keep up with the new system, MATTY MO WILL BE FINE.

Edited by Doohickie

Matty Mo is what he is at this point, can be productive if used properly. Not worth the price paid, but nothing to be done with it now. Not the biggest concern at the moment, IMO. (Spoiler alert: Goalie)

...and how is that?   He fits certain systems, but I don't think there's a spot for him on Dr. Phil's firewagon.    

...and how is that?   He fits certain systems, but I don't think there's a spot for him on Dr. Phil's firewagon.

Power play, o-zone starts. He'll chip in accordingly. Might hit 20. We've become so inured to the Disco School of Whiteboard-Related Excellence that we forget that spots can be picked regarding certain players, and a good coach knows what spots those are.

ROR-Eichel-Okposo

Kane-Reinhart-Bailey/Baptiste who ever wins the job out of camp

Pouliot-Larsson-Pominville

Girgensons-Josefson-Fasching

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Antipin

McCabe-Bogo

Lehner/Johnson

Moulson or D-Lo and Gorges extra

I could swap McCabe and Beaulieu, or Bogo and Antipin depending on how they pair up, but otherwise I'm with you, too.

^This is where I'm at.

Always two there are.