2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

Premature? Maybe. But I think it will be interesting to see how opinion evolves as the coach and GM get hired and as we move through the off-season.

Based on our signed players and RFA's we look kind of like this right now.

Ennis ROR KO

Kane Jack Baptiste

Foligno Sam Bailey

Carrier Girgensons Erod

Delo (plus Moulson and Larsson)

McCabe Risto

Guhle ????

???? Bogo

Falk (Gorges)

Nelson Austin

Lehner

Ullmark

Right now I think we'll lose Moulson to expansion in a deal that includes Larsson. Gorges will be sent down or bought out. If I'm the new GM, i'm going young and see what I have. Adding Bailey and Baptiste adds speed plus a phyiscal game. Adding Ennis to ROR creates veteran 1/2 line with 3 guys who can score and pass while a healthy Ennis adds speed. KO and ROR might also give Ennis some physical protection.

The defense needs a LD and a RD. Unless Nelson, RD, learns to play defense in the off-season.

Edited by GASabresFan

Shattenkirk is going to be a bidding war, I like Stone from Arizona for RHD.

Alzner will be looking for a payday, maybe Washington won't be able to extend him with their cap?

Slim pickings in free agency. The new GMs player priority will be finding a defenseman or two probably through trade

Premature? Maybe. But I think it will be interesting to see how opinion evolves as the coach and GM get hired and as we move through the off-season.

Based on our signed players and RFA's we look kind of like this right now.

Ennis ROR KO

Kane Jack Baptiste

Foligno Sam Bailey

Carrier Girgensons Erod

Delo (plus Moulson and Larsson)

McCabe Risto

Guhle ????

???? Bogo

Falk (Gorges)

Nelson Austin

Lehner

Ullmark

Right now I think we'll lose Moulson to expansion in a deal that includes Larsson. Gorges will be sent down or bought out. If I'm the new GM, i'm going young and see what I have. Adding Bailey and Baptiste adds speed plus a phyiscal game. Adding Ennis to ROR creates veteran 1/2 line with 3 guys who can score and pass while a healthy Ennis adds speed. KO and ROR might also give Ennis some physical protection.

The defense needs a LD and a RD. Unless Nelson, RD, learns to play defense in the off-season.

Also I'd like to see Jack make the move to #1 center, Sam #2 center, and ROR on wing. It's bound to happen eventually.

Ennis - O'Reilly - Okposo

Nylander/Acquisition - Eichel - Baptiste

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey

Carrier - Girgensons/Larsson - Fasching

Rodrigues

McCabe - Ristolaien

xxx - xxx

Guhle - Bogosian

Falk, Nelson

Lehner

Ullmark

---

Would like to see Kane with Samson. Agree on needing a LD and RD. At least one, preferrably both, should be of top 4 quality. If Nylander isn't ready to go, I'd like to see them bring in a capable vet for the short term to play on Jack's left, rather than that guy being Foligno.

Odd men out - Moulson, Gionta, Deslauriers, potentially one of Larsson/Girgensons, potentially Foligno, Gorges.

Larsson. Girgensons, and Foligno are the only guys on that list I'd be ok with still being on the opening night roster.

It certainly does seem like if we are adding to the forward ranks, it should be on left wing.

Between Nylander, Kane, Ennis, Moulson, Carrier, Delo, and Girgensons we should be able to come up with a couple of LW. If we are going to acquire a forward how about a center who can a friggin faceoff beside ROR?

In my wildest (yet vaguely plausible) dreams?

Okposo ROR Carrier

Fasching Eichel Nylander

Baptiste Reinhart Kane

Gionta Larsson Foligno

Fowler Ristolainen

MCabe Bogosian

Guhle Daley

Falk

Lehner

Ullmark

Bailey, Girgensons and two firsts for Fowler and a first

We roll four lines and cross our fingers Nylander makes a huge leap, pushed by an elite Jack.

Edited by dudacek

In my wildest (yet vaguely plausible) dreams?

Okposo ROR Carrier

Fasching Eichel Nylander

Baptiste Reinhart Kane

Gionta Larsson Foligno

Fowler Ristolainen

MCabe Bogosian

Guhle Daley

Falk

Lehner

Ullmark

Bailey, Girgensons and two firsts for Fowler and a first

We roll four lines and cross our fingers Nylander makes a huge leap, pushed by an elite Jack.

I'm not sure that's next years lineup, I'm more for stacking the top 2 lines

ROR-Jack-Baptiste

Kane-Reinhart-Okposo

Foligno-Larsson-Fasching

(who you can't get rid of between Moulson/Ennis) Girgensons-Bailey/Gionta

The D has to have 3 guys blown up

???-Risto

Jake-Zach

Guhle-???

Edited by jsb

I'm one of those guys who isn't a fan of designating guys as #1 or #2 etc.

I think this team's game plan should be built around its three excellent centres and it's lineup designed around chemistry, balance and the ability to give one of those centres a significant mismatch.

It's also hope we will see our new coach give at least two and hopefully more of our young wingers a prime time gig at more than nine minutes a game.

Edited by dudacek

While Ennis adds speed.  Heh.

I hope he is truly healthy but I'm not depending on "speed" to the degree he had earlier in his career.  I hope he gets it back, but I'm not counting on it.

Edited by Doohickie

How 'bout:

Ennis-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Rodrigues
Nylander-Reinhart-Baptiste/Fasching
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

extra:  Carrier, Baptiste/Fasching

Fowler/other-Risto
McCabe-Bogo
Guhle-Falk/Austin/Fedun

extra:  Falk/Austin/Fedun

Lehner
Ullmark

Assumptions (some of which are longshots):

- Sabres pull off dudacek's proposed trade for Fowler or other premium defenseman

- Ennis continues his late-season improvement and makes it all the way back

- Sabres bribe Vegas into taking Moulson

- Gorges in Rochester/bought out

- New coach revives Bogo

- New coach realizes that Reino is a center

- Nylander makes the leap

- Guhle makes the leap

- KO's health is OK

CF% GF% xGF% SCF%

Carrier 50.55 48.73 52.35 55.57

Ennis 48.46 39.51 47.29 46.82

Can we, pretty please with a cherry on top, stop penciling in Ennis on the top line and treating Carrier like some also-ran AHL bum?

Agreed but im really curious to see how Carrier will develop next season with more minutes.

CF%    GF%    xGF%   SCF%

Carrier   50.55  48.73  52.35  55.57

Ennis     48.46  39.51  47.29  46.82

Can we, pretty please with a cherry on top, stop penciling in Ennis on the top line and treating Carrier like some also-ran AHL bum?

You make a fair point, but do you ever see Carrier as a top 6 LW? I see Carrier as a Foligno replacement and I'm ok with that. I don't think he has the hands to be a top 6 winger for Jack or ROR. On the other hand, we know Ennis at his best can play that role. Admittedly Ennis ceiling maybe significantly lower then once upon a time, but for what we are paying him we have to hold out hope that he will find his game.

Agreed but im really curious to see how Carrier will develop next season with more minutes.

Yea, I have no idea. He might crumble with more ice time. All I'm saying is he deserves a chance a hell of a lot more than Ennis does.

You make a fair point, but do you ever see Carrier as a top 6 LW? I see Carrier as a Foligno replacement and I'm ok with that. I don't think he has the hands to be a top 6 winger for Jack or ROR. On the other hand, we know Ennis at his best can play that role. Admittedly Ennis ceiling maybe significantly lower then once upon a time, but for what we are paying him we have to hold out hope that he will find his game.

Maybe. If we're going with a lineup where we stuff all the talent possible into two lines, then no. But if we're going with a lineup of balanced lines where each one has say two skill players and a role player, I think he definitely has the potential to be the role player in that formula.

What we're paying Ennis shouldn't matter. The only thing that should matter is who produces on the ice. And right now, that sure as isn't Tyler Ennis.

CF%    GF%    xGF%   SCF%

Carrier   50.55  48.73  52.35  55.57

Ennis     48.46  39.51  47.29  46.82

GA beat me to it.  Ennis has been under water due to injury for a long time, but he showed quite a bit of life over the last month of the season.  With a full offseason of training, plus a full training camp under a new coach, he could regain 20-25-45 production.  It would also be nice to add his speed to the ROR-KO combo.

Carrier, OTOH, has never scored much at any level (not even the Q!).  I agree that Foligno is his ceiling.

GA beat me to it. Ennis has been under water due to injury for a long time, but he showed quite a bit of life over the last month of the season. With a full offseason of training, plus a full training camp under a new coach, he could regain 20-25-45 production. It would also be nice to add his speed to the ROR-KO combo.

Carrier, OTOH, has never scored much at any level (not even the Q!). I agree that Foligno is his ceiling.

Avatar bet on Ennis' point total if he's still here?

I don't think Foligno has ever improved the performance of any line he's on, but Carrier already does that to every line, from a Des line to the ROR line. Brian Rust wasn't finishing in Pittsburgh until this season, but he had great chemistry with Malkin even before that point. I need to see Carrier get the minutes. He was getting like 8-10 per game this season. Give him more to see what we have. 

Assuming Dean Lombardi is at the helm: 
ROR - Eichel - Okposo

Kane - Reinhart - Bailey 

Carrier - Larsson - Justin Williams (signed by GMDL to a 5 year, $6 mil contract hahaha)

Foligno - Girgensons - Baptiste 

Markov (4 yrs, $4 mi per) - Ristolainen 

McCabe - Bogosian 

Antipin - Stone 

Because GMDL signs old people to bad contracts, right? 

But really, here's a prediction or something:

Nylander if ready - Eichel - Baptiste 

Girgensons - ROR - Rodrigues

Carrier - Reinhart - Okposo

Foligno - Larsson - UFA or Bailey or something

Fowler/Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Stone?

Russell/Daley/Antipin - Bogosian

Kane plus stuff gets us Fowler/Scandella/whatever, some UFAs, IDK. I'd rather match lines once I know who we have coming in haha

Ennis, Gorges, Moulson are blasted into outer space if we can't get rid of them. Seriously. Send them to Rochester, scratch them.

If Eichel just can't handle those wingers, I give him ROR and fundamentally change the lines, with Larsson and Girgensons as the centers of lines 3&4. 

I think if Ennis is going to be on the team, they need to tell him to expand his skillset beyond scoring winger.  Put him on a shutdown line.  He's no longer scoring line material but he still has the quickness to be a disruptor.  He can be our next Legwand, our next Gionta.  Both of those guys were top 6-ers who adapted their game to bring value to their team later in their careers.  I would like to see Ennis do the same.

Ennis is too small for a defensive shutdown guy...you need size to go up against other players and hold them up and constantly hit and annoy them like Kardi does so well..Ennis is too nice a player to do those things (gotta be a dirtbag). But, Tyler  hopefully will come alive and be totally rejuvenated by a new coach and a new system that allows him to freewheel.

I also do not see us making that big  trade for that big defenceman so I am hoping that a new GM/coach will also a nice gain by Bogo especially. I do wish we could re-sign Kulikov who I still think is far better then we saw and still could be a good addition but I think he's gone-dy. Bet he excels next season on a new team under a new coach