2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

Bylsma's system wasn't designed to increase time spent in the dzone. In fact, it was quite the opposite (get pucks

quickly moving north up and out of the zone).

The problem was possession. BUF could not get pucks back in their own end for a myriad of reasons I've already gone over in other threads... the short of it is slow dmen, and forwards who don't have any defensive skill.

In Bogo's case he lacks quickness and awareness... not a Bylsma issue.

Well of course it wasn't designed that way, but that was the consequence of his breakout strategy. But he was too much of a doofus to understand that.

Not true. We just abandoned our D-men without any puck support. Our team was so bad at transitioning the puck up the ice. Eichel keeping it himself was the only consistent method we had of gaining the zone.

Not true? Which of the bottom 6 have defensive skill sets? BUF ranked near the bottom of the league in takeaways because none of the forwards know how to defend, except for O'Reilly.

Just go back and watch some games, it's plain as day. They spent a ton of time in their dzone because they couldn't get the puck back, not because of what they did when they had the puck.

Foligno, Gionta, Larsson, Girgensons: train wrecks?

Larsson is the only guy in that group who has any defensive ability... and it's not much.

Well of course it wasn't designed that way, but that was the consequence of his breakout strategy. But he was too much of a doofus to understand that.

The breakout strategy has nothing to do with the ability of players to defend and create takeaways.

Saying the bottom six was our problem is just not right. We were a horrible even strength team, and that's on Bylsma.

True, a good portion of the issue was Bylsma. But I witnessed many failed attempts to capitalize on opportunities by the players, particularly lines 3 and 4, this past season. At some point injuries were also an issue, but players like Girgs, Larsson (before his injury), Moulson and ennis were under performers in my opinion. Those players spent a lot of time on the 3 and 4 lines.

A combination of factors that I'm hoping new coaching, reduced injuries (hopefully) and a youth injection can help remedy.

True, a good portion of the issue was Bylsma. But I witnessed many failed attempts to capitalize on opportunities by the players, particularly lines 3 and 4, this past season. At some point injuries were also an issue, but players like Girgs, Larsson (before his injury), Moulson and ennis were under performers in my opinion. Those players spent a lot of time on the 3 and 4 lines.

A combination of factors that I'm hoping new coaching, reduced injuries (hopefully) and a youth injection can help remedy.

You need players that embrace their roles on the team.

Moulson and Ennis have been first line players and Girgs even had a taste of it under Nolan. They may feel they deserve better.

You need players that embrace their roles on the team.

Moulson and Ennis have been first line players and Girgs even had a taste of it under Nolan. They may feel they deserve better.

They may feel that, but they certainly don't deserve better. They deserve to be sent far, far away from the team that I cheer for. Worthless, all 3 of em.

They may feel that, but they certainly don't deserve better. They deserve to be sent far, far away from the team that I cheer for. Worthless, all 3 of em.

I'd be willing to give Girgs a bottom six role for one more year. If someone else wants him (Vegas?) then bon voyage.

I'd be willing to give Girgs a bottom six role for one more year. If someone else wants him (Vegas?) then bon voyage.

Maybe in a deal for them to take someone else he can go to Vegas but the Sabres better not just leave him exposed in the expansion draft. Not that he's all that good but we need to protect all the younger cheap guys to encourage Vegas to take one of our overpaid contracts off our hands.

O'Reilly

Okposo

Kane

Foligno

Girgensons

Larsson

Carrier

Should be our protected forwards so we can cross our fingers and hope they select Moulson or Ennis.

Edited by Drunkard

• 2 weeks later...

I want Botterill to bring in Nick Bonino. He's a UFA that he could bring along from Pittsburgh. Also a BU guy (not that it means anything, but still cool for Eich)

Center spine of:

Eichel

Reinhart/ROR (other on RW)

Bonino

Larsson

It makes sense, but only if its on a reasonable term.  He's at the point where his type of center starts breaking down.  No point clogging up more cap on a player who likely will want to go to a contender. Maybe I'm wrong.  

• 2 weeks later...

So how many upgrades are we hoping Botterill is able to make this summer? How many are realistically possible? Mix and match the lines combos as you like, this is what we are looking at currently:

Kane - Eichel - Okposo

Ennis - O'Reilly - Reinhart

Foligno - Girgensons - Bailey

Moulson - Larsson - Deslauriers

McCabe - Ristolainen

Falk - Antipin

Gorges - Bogosian

Lehner

Ullmark

---

Potentially Rochester/potentially Big Club:

Carrier, Nylander, Baptiste, Fasching, Guhle

---

When I look at that line-up, if I'm JBot, I'm looking to upgrade, at a minimum: Ennis, Moulson, Deslauriers, Falk, and Gorges. Depending on how Botterill wants to structure Rochester, and the NHL readiness of the listed potentially-Rochester players, the forwards seem to be in better shape. I think Carrier and Baptiste would provide adequate upgrades over Moulson and Deslauriers. Botterill may prefer to bring in a couple of his own guys and let Carrier and Baptiste develop in Rochester, but Ennis is certainly one we could definitely use an outside-the-organization upgrade for.

On Defence, if we are looking to make the playoffs, we'll need to upgrade Falk and Gorges. One could be Guhle, but I'm betting he starts in Rochester. So it looks like Bottz is going to have to bring in 2 defencemen, at least 1 with top 4 ability.

To me, the recipe for a successful summer for Botterill would include the acquisitions of:

1 Top 4 Defenceman

1 Top 6 Defenceman

1 Top 6 LW

Possible? Adequate? Malarkey?

I'd like to see him pick a good coach, figure out what to do with Kane, strengthen our defense either by trade or free agency, shed some dead weight. Also either draft Liljegrin at 8 or trade it for established dman.

• 2 weeks later...

Think there are still a couple shoes to drop here before we can really speculate.

Is Kane traded? What defenceman(men)? Does JBot acquire? What happens with Vegas?

Are there any surprises in store?

I still expect a rather low-key defensive addition that will excite few, but be quietly effective when coupled with a more aggressive play style. I think Botterill is smart enough to recognize the strength of this team is the forward group, and savvy enough to recognize the value in a forward-defenseman swap isn't going to morph us into Nashville or Anaheim. Put differently, I'd be surprised if we saw the equivalent of the Hall-Larsson trade. We don't have Crosby or Malkin, of course, but sans Letang, that blue line in Pittsburgh is the envy of nobody...but it worked due to forwards and style of play. I also expect they're going to try to rehabilitate Bogosian, and think it's somewhat likely they believe he can at least be serviceable, with pushing the Dmen to jump into the play more.

I still think many are under-selling many of the players on this team,..there is far more talent then we have seen. Foligno is a great example of a player who has never fully reached his potential. I think with proper coaching and leadership both on and off the ice we will see a significant improvement in many of our players. If one looks at successful teams we see that every year players reach or play over their expected limitations. The Leafs had just about everybody play over their heads. And I think little Tyler Ennis may be one of the biggest surprises...

Edited by Sabre fan

Think there are still a couple shoes to drop here before we can really speculate.

Is Kane traded? What defenceman(men)? Does JBot acquire? What happens with Vegas?

Are there any surprises in store?

What are you feeling?  Trade of Kane, Lehner?  or something really surprising?

What are you feeling?  Trade of Kane, Lehner?  or something really surprising?

Not feeling anything other than uncertainty over the value Botterill puts on the players.

Is Lehner our goalie going forward, or a chip that can cashed in?

Is Bogosian a salary to be dumped or a prime reclamation project?

Is Gorges the type of veteran warrior who can help any team, or poison in the locker room and on the ice?

Is Girgensons a misused talent to be developed or someone to be moved while he still has value?

You could do this with pretty much the entire roster.

He told us what he thinks of Ullmark with the signing, other wise we just don't know.

He keeps his cards pretty close. His actions are going to tell us.

Under-the-radar UFA I think could help the team at a reasonable price: Brendan Smith. Tack on a second-tier trade (Does de Haan count as second tier?), and get something like:

McCabe-Risto

de Haan-Bogo

Smith-Antipin

Falk/Gorges

I don't think anyone is going to look at it and scream "CHAMPIONSHIP," but it would represent a considerable upgrade in a single offseason.

Projected Forward Lines, based on two press conferences

Ennis - ROR - Okposo 

Moulson - Eichel - xxx

Foligno - Larsson - xxx

Carrier - Girgensons - Reinhart 

xxx is a competition, because Botterill loves those, and Reinhart is at the very end because they forgot about him until he wandered in with a bed head 20 minutes late to practice. 

Projected Forward Lines, based on two press conferences

Ennis - ROR - Okposo 

Moulson - Eichel - xxx

Foligno - Larsson - xxx

Carrier - Girgensons - Reinhart 

xxx is a competition, because Botterill loves those, and Reinhart is at the very end because they forgot about him until he wandered in with a bed head 20 minutes late to practice. 

I would take off one of Moulson or Ennis from that list. Also, where's Kane?

Under-the-radar UFA I think could help the team at a reasonable price: Brendan Smith. Tack on a second-tier trade (Does de Haan count as second tier?), and get something like:

McCabe-Risto

de Haan-Bogo

Smith-Antipin

Falk/Gorges

I don't think anyone is going to look at it and scream "CHAMPIONSHIP," but it would represent a considerable upgrade in a single offseason.

I just rewatched the game in LA this past March where we were outshot like 15-2 in the first period.

Every single instance in that period where Fedun had the puck in our own zone, except for 2, the Sabres team had a controlled exit and maintained possession through the NZ. I'm not sure any other defenseman did that more than once. This was against a big bad scary team that Fedun surely can't handle, right?

Your #8 there whiffed on a shot at the point, fell down trying to keep it in, and got ran over by Toffoli (I think) going the other way. He also whiffed on an offensive zone faceoff win which caused a possession switch the next period.

Moral of the story - DON"T YOU DARE TYPE GORGES' NAME WHEN TAYLOR FEDUN EXISTS AS A MUCH MORE VIABLE 7/8 D-MAN 

:P

I would take off one of Moulson or Ennis from that list. Also, where's Kane?

I'm just making a joke based on the PC - where Housley talked up those two and neglected to mention Kane & Sam.