2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

With the exception of Jake McCabe, it's been a long time since the Sabres have had a "normal" rookie - a guy who finished his amateur career, apprenticed and showed clear improvement in the minors, then made the big squad and stuck.

Our depth has been rebuilt to the point where that should start becoming normal again and it should start this year.

Baptiste, Fasching and Bailey are all entering the final year of their entry level deals. They all have NHL size and skating. Even under Botterill's philosophy of patience, this "should" be the year they arrive.

Is it too much to project one or more of them to be useful regulars in Buffalo this year?

I think, as others have said, that 1 makes it. Should lead to a good competition (good for them, and the team)

They definitely will have more competition to beat this year.  Moulson's spot is an obvious one.  Will be curious to see how they deal with that.  Does Phil want the veteran presence or the up and comer?  But other than Moulson's spot, what forward roster spots are vulnerable?  They may all be injury call ups this season.

And Deslaurier.  His seat in the press box could be up for grabs......

Ya, can't say exactly how the lines will shake out, but you touched on a few factors there. I think this much is set (not necessarily positions, but players):

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Pouliot - Eichel - Reinhart

Girgensons - Larsson - Pominville

??? - Josefson - ???

??? = Moulson, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Deslauriers. Ultimately my guess is Moulson and one of the kids earn a spot. I'm guessing Bailey. Other two in Roch.

Pairings aside, I think the D is set:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

(Typing out the D is so much less painful than last season...Scandella makes me happy)

That leaves Gorges as the extra.

We probably carry two presss box guys, Deslauriers and Gorges. Two guys who wouldn't benefit from playing minutes in Rochester. Well, they might, but who cares.

---

Training camp battles will be for those final two winger spots, and positioning.

What I would like to see if we run three balanced lines:

Girgensons Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Pouliot O'Reilly Pominville

Josefsson Larsson Fasching

Or if we run a traditional 1st/2nd/checking:

O'Reilly Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Pouliot Larsson Pominvile

Girgensons Josefsson Fasching

^ I really like those configurations. I'm so hoping that training camp sees Reinhart move to centre. I trust Botterill and Housley though, so if they don't have Reinhart there, it'll be time for me to accept Reinhart at wing, at least for now.

Girgensons Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Pouliot O'Reilly Pominville

Josefsson Larsson Fasching

O'Reilly Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Girgensons Josefsson Faschin

I can't see the season starting without ROR and Jack being 1C and 2C (not necessarily in that order).  JBOT said that all teams are looking for the type centers the Sabres have.  ROR will be at center.

Pairings aside, I think the D is set:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

(Typing out the D is so much less painful than last season...Scandella makes me happy)

That leaves Gorges as the extra.

We probably carry two presss box guys, Deslauriers and Gorges. Two guys who wouldn't benefit from playing minutes in Rochester. Well, they might, but who cares.

---

Training camp battles will be for those final two winger spots, and positioning.

I think your D lines are the best I have seen put together. They make a lot of sense and pair strengths with weaknesses. McCabe with Bogo in Housley's system would be very smart. I just hope he gives defensive pairs 15-20 games to gel before mixing crap up. 

I for one am not counting on Okposo at all and frankly I see Girgensons on the 4th line as a waste of a #1 draft pick.

Why to both of these. 

I for one am not counting on Okposo at all and frankly I see Girgensons on the 4th line as a waste of a #1 draft pick.

Why to both of these. 

Okposo:  His episode was quite severe; it remains to be seen whether he is at increased risk of concussion like Tim Connolly was at the end of his career.

Girgensons:  A first round draft pick entering his prime should be in a top line, don't you think?

I don't agree with Okposo suddenly being more at risk because he had a poor reaction to concussion meds

I don't agree that Zemgus has to be a top line player simply because he was a first round pick.

Definitely not

I'm not medically savvy enough to understand whether Okposo is at increased risk based on last season's events and the aftermath.  I'm just explaining my understanding of why Marvelo would say that.  I hope is pessimism is unfounded.

Girgs doesn't have to be a top line (say, top 2 lines) player simply because he was a first round pick, but that is the expectation of a player selected that high, and not reaching that ceiling is a disappointment.

I personally don't have a problem with Girgs playing 4th line:  After all, the regime that selected him is gone so even if it is a disappointment, it's water under the bridge at this point.  If playing him on the fourth line maximizes his contribution to the team's success, so be it.

I personally don't have a problem with Girgs playing 4th line:  After all, the regime that selected him is gone so even if it is a disappointment, it's water under the bridge at this point.  If playing him on the fourth line maximizes his contribution to the team's success, so be it.

Would still like to see him have an opportunity to play on Eichel's wing. If he could be the cornerman that line'll need suddenly the LW position doesn't seem to be the liability it currently appears.

What happens if Baptiste and either Bailey or Fasching play so well in camp and force their way on the team? What is Wowie and ROR agree to move ROR to LW to strengthen the wing and give Reinhart a chance at center?

ROR Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Pouliot Larsson Pominville

Girgensons Josefson Fasching

Moulson

Scandella Ristolainen

Baloo Bogosian

McCabe Antipin

Gorges

Got to love $9mill riding the pine.

Edited by GASabresFan

What happens if Baptiste and either Bailey or Fasching play so well in camp and force their way on the team? What is Wowie and ROR agree to move ROR to LW to strengthen the wing and give Reinhart a chance at center?

ROR Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Moulson

Scandella Ristolainen

Baloo Bogosian

McCabe Antipin

Gorges

Sheesh, talk about exaggeration. It's not a $ over $8.9MM. :p

;)

Sheesh, talk about exaggeration. It's not a $ over $8.9MM. :P

;)

In a hypothetical world, let's imagine Moulson and or Gorges get easily out-performed at camp, and get demoted, clear waivers and are assigned to Rochester. In this scenario, they come in with a " this " attitude and head coach Christ Taylor says "I don't want these jerks on my team, cancering up my locker-room". Can they be demoted further, to the ECHL? Has that ever happened or if you're playing on a one-way contract is the AHL the lowest they can go?

In a hypothetical world, let's imagine Moulson and or Gorges get easily out-performed at camp, and get demoted, clear waivers and are assigned to Rochester. In this scenario, they come in with a "###### this ######" attitude and head coach Christ Taylor says "I don't want these jerks on my team, cancering up my locker-room". Can they be demoted further, to the ECHL? Has that ever happened or if you're playing on a one-way contract is the AHL the lowest they can go?

Pretty sure they could get loaned to the ECHL but haven't looked at that portion of the CBA in ages, so not positive of that.

Would expect that if a player truly took that attitude they simply wouldn't report (& then, there's the savings ;)). Would also expect that either or both would take the demotion in stride. Would also be very surprised if Gorges got sent down. There's enough "AHL quality" D pencilled in for Ra-cha-cha that they might as well leave Josh as the 7 (even if he slides to 8 or 9).

O'Reilly isn't moving to wing. He's the most defensively responsible center we have so kicking him out to wing makes no sense whatsoever.

He would still take face-off and have center ice defensive responsibility

Inkman, I was thinking the same thing when I wrote the message. At this point we have no idea how Wowie will construct the lines or who will thrive under the new system. If we attack as a 5 player unit, is position on paper really critical? It isn't like ROR hasn't played the wing before.

FYI: http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

Only 38% of 14th overall picks become top 2 line forwards or top 2 pairing D. 1/3 are 4th line players, 3rd pairing D or worse and over 14% don't even reach 100 NHL games. Frankly, the fact that Girgensons is a 3rd or 4th line forward is right in line with most of peers.

Edited by GASabresFan

ROR Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Moulson

Scandella Ristolainen

Baloo Bogosian

McCabe Antipin

Gorges

If all 3 of Bogosian, Moulson and Gorges are still on the roster come October 5th, I'll consider this offseason a failure, and put my hopes playoffs on the back burner for another season.

O'Reilly Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Girgensons Josefsson Fasching

ROR Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Moulson

And you guys never suspected that GA was my alternate account all along. Edited by dudacek

If all 3 of Bogosian, Moulson and Gorges are still on the roster come October 5th, I'll consider this offseason a failure, and put my hopes playoffs on the back burner for another season.

What about them making the roster, but as extra players in case of injury?

And you guys never suspected that GA was my alternate account all along.

I missed your earlier post. Good idea!

What about them making the roster, but as extra players in case of injury?

That would be ideal, but it won't happen because of their salary and seniority.     You don't treat veterans like that, it would be a black eye for JBOT.