Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

Trying to move on from this religion derail...

I've read a lot of stuff about Bylsma's "system" and how he forced it and wasn't adapting to his players.

I'm admittedly much more knowledgeable about football than hockey so I was wondering if someone could explain what Bylsma's system was. I'd also be curious to hear what other systems folks feel are better. It's easier for me to judge NFL hires (runs a west coast offense and a Tampa-2 defense) but I honestly don't know what hockey systems are en vogue.

This is a good place to start:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24444-the-system/page-3?do=findComment&comment=920157

Post 100 starts Flagg's incredible string of posts comparing Byslma's System (the Byslmatic) to Carolina which plays a puck support scheme. There's are some cool heat-map posts on the second page of that thread showing where Buffalo's shots were happening.

Really? To communicate with aliens?

I'm not denigrating-- just interested. Would like to hear more if you feel like sharing it with us. No problem either way, of course.

I connected strongly with the curiosity for and love of all things nature and cosmos displayed by Ellie, and also (until recently) wanted to be a radio astronomer, though not to look for aliens specifically. The line a few pages in when toddler Ellie discovered giraffes for the first time at the zoo with her father is burned in my memory.

Out of curiosity. Are you a season ticket holder? Or were you one who gave up his season tickets? The reason I ask is that I'm not a season ticket holder nor have I relinquished tickets and because of that I would not advise someone else on what or what not to do. Please don't take this as critical because I'm not criticizing I'm just thinking I may think differently depending on whether I hold tickets or not.

I am not a season ticket holder.  I live in Rochester and have kids who keep me busy most evenings so there is no value in the investment for me.  I absolutely know that if I were a STH right now I would be going through a heavy debate as to whether I would want to keep my tickets.  However, I would look at players under contract on this roster and I would most likely keep them.  However, I would accept that by doing so I am accepting the Sabres  current path of mediocrity and that I am hoping for a better product.

Fear of missing out is exactly what keeps me buying.

Do you accept that by keeping your tickets you are also supporting the current franchise situation which may be described as mediocre?

Folks, Terry Pegula drinks alcohol (I have witnessed this), owns at least two bars, and also has his own brand of beer.  He's not a teetotaler and he is not against drinking alcohol.

He hired Rex Ryan, who does not wear religion on his sleeve at all and certainly likes beer.  Same goes for Tim Murray and Ted Black, as far as I can tell.

I do not think his hiring practices are motivated by religion or alcohol use.

I love beer.  So I should be the GM.

I respect yours and everyone's right to practice their religious beliefs but I also feel the victim mentality shown by some Christians is disingenuous.

It may be disingenuous but it may also be borne of their own personal experience. Better to ask them why they are the victim right? If they are being false it will come out in their responses.

Let me just say this about this ridiculous religious talk.  Every religion has a variety of disciplines that have beliefs that are not in alignment. There are sects of each religion that favor ideals that conflict with the science establishment.  Those that favor the mysticism aspects of the religion and argue what is promoted by scientists. Using those specific parameters and applying them to every sect of the religion is ignorant and disrespectful.  It shows an unwillingness to understand the person you with whom you are communicating.  It does nothing to further a conversation and as such has no business being used in a FORUM which is designed to promote communication.

For me, Pegula speaking of a Christian faith person is his shorthand of describing some set of ideals he wants his employee to have.  Most of us use shorthand all the time... most of could use multiple sentences to describe the current front office situation of the Sabres... others would call it a ----show.  Short hand at its finest.

Sorry but the first shot across the bow , I don't believe was by a Faith supporter. Go back and see how this all started. As a Christian I don't have a victim mentality but if I bring up Faith it's pushing my faith on others but feel free to criticize Faith with no question of pushing one's anti Christian view. Double standards????

Not at all. Feel free to bring up your faith all you want. It's a free country, at least for now.

The "shot across the bow," as you put it, was the observation that Terry Pegula brings up the faith of the last few coaching hires. It begged the question if religious belief plays a role in the Pegulas decision process. That's a fair question because the quotes are out there.

The same observation would be made if the Pegulas cited a hire's physique, eye color, taste in clothing, or any attribute that seemed to land outside of what is considered part of coaching a team.

You and others took that to DEFCON 2 calling it an attack on your faith. I would suggest some reflection on the victim mentality you say you don't possess.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Do you accept that by keeping your tickets you are also supporting the current franchise situation which may be described as mediocre?

I do.

Sorry, one's "Christian values" should not be a prerequisite for doing business in the sports world.  At all.

It isn't.

I am not a season ticket holder.  I live in Rochester and have kids who keep me busy most evenings so there is no value in the investment for me.  I absolutely know that if I were a STH right now I would be going through a heavy debate as to whether I would want to keep my tickets.  However, I would look at players under contract on this roster and I would most likely keep them.  However, I would accept that by doing so I am accepting the Sabres  current path of mediocrity and that I am hoping for a better product.

I love beer.  So I should be the GM.

It may be disingenuous but it may also be borne of their own personal experience. Better to ask them why they are the victim right? If they are being false it will come out in their responses.

Let me just say this about this ridiculous religious talk.  Every religion has a variety of disciplines that have beliefs that are not in alignment. There are sects of each religion that favor ideals that conflict with the science establishment.  Those that favor the mysticism aspects of the religion and argue what is promoted by scientists. Using those specific parameters and applying them to every sect of the religion is ignorant and disrespectful.  It shows an unwillingness to understand the person you with whom you are communicating.  It does nothing to further a conversation and as such has no business being used in a FORUM which is designed to promote communication.

For me, Pegula speaking of a Christian faith person is his shorthand of describing some set of ideals he wants his employee to have.  Most of us use shorthand all the time... most of could use multiple sentences to describe the current front office situation of the Sabres... others would call it a ----show.  Short hand at its finest.

Spot on

Pegula uses "Christian values" as short hand for wanting someone with character, integrity, honesty, openness, collaboration, teamwork etc. etc.

I don't believe he cares whether that person is Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Atheist as long as they have the list of values he covets --- if he does care about their religion or non-religion, then he is WRONG

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

This is a good place to start:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24444-the-system/page-3?do=findComment&comment=920157

Post 100 starts Flagg's incredible string of posts comparing Byslma's System (the Byslmatic) to Carolina which plays a puck support scheme. There's are some cool heat-map posts on the second page of that thread showing where Buffalo's shots were happening.

Wow, this is perhaps the best strategic analysis I've ever seen for the sport of hockey.  Thank you very much for linking this.

I too was frustrated as to how difficult it always seemed to generate rushes last year, and how every pass from the D seemed to be a bomb to guys standing on the boards looking to chip it in.  I'm definitely no hockey strategy expert, but it just seemed weak to turn our possessions into 50/50 board battles down low.  And, it seemed to bring about the fun side effect of our guys getting crunched into the end boards as they raced in to try to tie up the puck.

All that said, I have no clue what sort of coach/system we SHOULD run, but I honestly feel like even though we lost a lot this year, we seemed capable of better stretches of good play and it just felt better than the year before.

I feel a strong parallel to the Bills when the hired Rex - we finally seemed to have a roster with the talent to compete, but we know how that turned out.  How I wish we end up with something that can get us over the hump.

To the first bold ... as far as I know no sect of Islam conflicts with science.  In fact, the Qur'an is, in part, based on science and affirms the science.

To the second bold ... I think you are fundamentally correct, but the problem may be that Pegula self identifies as a (unless I am mistaken) devout Christian.

Finally, your shorthand comment is awesome.

To the first bold ... as far as I know no sect of Islam conflicts with science.  In fact, the Qur'an is, in part, based on science and affirms the science.

To the second bold ... I think you are fundamentally correct, but the problem may be that Pegula self identifies as a (unless I am mistaken) devout Christian.

Finally, your shorthand comment is awesome.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on Islam, you would certainly have a better understanding.  I think in some ways I was trying to say that there are sects of religions that would prefer their people to remain under educated so that they may more easily advance their particular interpretation of a religion (even if it is their own interpretation and not even a sect).

As for Pegula, I agree and believe he has stated as such. So as a devout Christian which describes him? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

Anyway... let's talk hockey. :)

Because I don't know.  And I know they don't all believe the same things. :) 

Taro... don't click. It's a trap!

:lol:

Like I'd said last week, IF Murray was planning on keeping Bylsma (& it now appears he was) then having Brandon overseeing the Sabres might in this ONE INSTANCE work out in our favor. :p

Now lets move Lombardi into Russ' role & bring in Fenton or Botteril to the Murray role. I'd trust that brain trust to pick a coach that can work w/ the current crew.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.