Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

Was watching old Cup highlights. In Game 7 of Sidney and Byslma's Cup, Crosby played 1 shift in the 3rd period. Hurt, or classic DD?

Sid was quite injured, I remember being shocked he even dressed for game 7

Crosby was hurt mid-way through the second period of Game 7.

People are also forgetting Doug Marrone and the no stone left unturned search that resulted in him hiring the coach from his alma mater.

Speaking of short memories, don't forget his advice to Rex to schmooze Pegs with red wine and the "don't let him leave the building" comment in regards to hiring him. That's the blood of 2 failed coaches on his hands.

Speaking of Marrone, RB was responsible for giving him the unprecedented golden parachute that allowed him to leave voluntarily AND collect $4MM from the Bills.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, I would be heavily involved if I where TP in all GM and coaching hires for both teams after that screw over.

As the news has leaked that TM had a deal with LV in the works and that Antipin is on the verge of signing with us, it's pretty clear that TM had a plan for next season.  Obviously this plan wasn't good enough in TP's eyes or TM would still be here.  However, considering how much TP talked about character, and his search for the new is centered on AGM's with similar backgrounds, I'm wondering if TP was really fired because of Evander Kane and TM's determination to re-sign him.

I think the conversation may have gone something like this.

TP:  Tim, Kim and I are very disappointed about this season.  What the hell happened to the D?\

TM:  Terry, I tried to accelerate the growth of the team with young Vet D as we have previously discussed and they fell apart because of injuries, but I built in flexibility for next season as Franson and Kulikov are UFA and wont be back.  I also have three major deals in the works for next season to improve the D.  I'm signing a KHL vet named Vik Antipin, who will be our Zaitsev and I've struck a deal with LV to take Bogo off our hands.  I also have the beginnings of a deal for Brodin from Minn.

TP:  Ok, I see where you are going.  What else?  

TM: I'm going to re-sign Lehner and I'm thinking about re-signing Gionta and Kane to add stability upfront, but I also want to make room for Bailey and Baptiste, I think they are NHL ready.  

TP:  You are losing me here Tim.  This team fractured under Gionta's leadership and Kane has been a bad influence on Eichel and Reinhart and is a cancer in the locker room. I can't have that.

TM: Kane broke out and was our 5 on 5 offense.  We need him if we are going to make a run soon.

TP: Whose fault is that?

TM:  Mine

TP:  I think I need someone else.  Tim your fired.

Edited by GASabresFan

As the news has leaked that TM had a deal with LV in the works and that Antipin is on the verge of signing with us, it's pretty clear that TM had a plan for next season.  Obviously this plan wasn't good enough in TP's eyes or TM would still be here.  However, considering how much TP talked about character, and his search for the new is centered on AGM's with similar backgrounds, I'm wondering if TP was really fired because of Evander Kane and TM's determination to re-sign him.

I think the conversation may have gone something like this.

TP:  Tim, Kim and I are very disappointed about this season.  What the hell happened to the D?\

TM:  Terry, I tried to accelerate the growth of the team with young Vet D as we have previously discussed and they fell apart because of injuries, but I built in flexibility for next season as Franson and Kulikov are UFA and wont be back.  I also have three major deals in the works for next season to improve the D.  I'm signing a KHL vet named Vik Antipin, who will be our Zaitsev and I've struck a deal with LV to take Bogo off our hands.  I also have the beginnings of a deal for Brodin from Minn.

TP:  Ok, I see where you are going.  What else?  

TM: I'm going to re-sign Lehner and I'm thinking about re-signing Gionta and Kane to add stability upfront, but I also want to make room for Bailey and Baptiste, I think they are NHL ready.  

TP:  You are losing me here Tim.  This team fractured under Gionta's leadership and Kane has been a bad influence on Eichel and Reinhart and is a cancer in the locker room. I can't have that.

TM: Kane broke out and was our 5 on 5 offense.  We need him if we are going to make a run soon.

TP: Whose fault is that?

TM:  Mine

TP:  I think I need someone else.  Tim your fired.

Directed by Ron Howard.

Besides the concessions income lost (or at least the contract money lost to whomever runs the cocessions), $3M / 75000 is $40 per seat. That seems a little low.

Stadium capacity is closer to 70K, so the per seat avg is closer to $43. And no, that's not low. During the years of the Toronto series, Bills season ticket prices were as low as $27/game.  You are correct that the number does not take into account concessions and parking revenues, but trust me, added all up you are still no where near $9MM.  

The prevailing theory (to which I do not subscribe) is that, as a high-level executive with both the Bills and the Sabres, he is involved with player / personnel decisions despite a lack of qualifications with respect to either team.

Although you don't subscribe to it,  it's well stated.

I might add - not just lacking in qualifications for such advice and consul, but with a clear marketing-centric SLANT.  

I.E., Brandon's player advice (and coaching -  remember a guy named Ryan?)  rests on putting people in stadium seats in the short term - as opposed to putting a championship trophy in the showcase long term!  

• 2 weeks later...

I am hearing from a pretty reliable source.that Murray called Kim a particularly nasty name (it begins with a c and it rhymes with both a football play and a baseball play) a couple of times during the season.  To her face.  Source was wondering why he wasn't fired right then and there.

Edited by Eleven

I am hearing from a pretty reliable source.that Murray called Kim a particularly nasty name (it begins with a c and it rhymes with both a football play and a baseball play) a couple of times during the season.  To her face.  Source was wondering why he wasn't fired right then and there.

If that's even halfway true him and I hope he never gets another job. Bye.

I am hearing from a pretty reliable source.that Murray called Kim a particularly nasty name (it begins with a c and it rhymes with both a football play and a baseball play) a couple of times during the season. To her face. Source was wondering why he wasn't fired right then and there.

Was he drunk? Never mind how wrong it is, it's also suicide.

Edited by dudacek

I am hearing from a pretty reliable source.that Murray called Kim a particularly nasty name (it begins with a c and it rhymes with both a football play and a baseball play) a couple of times during the season. To her face. Source was wondering why he wasn't fired right then and there.

I'm gonna call BS on this. The rumor went around after Pat Lafontaine left that it was because he told Kim to get out because she knew nothing about hockey. My brother is friends​ with their daughter and has nothing but nice things to say about Kim so I doubt she inspired this much animosity in those that work for her and Terry.

:blink:  :blink:

But what if he was right? I mean, the word exists for a reason.

Pretty dumbass move to call your boss' wife that

I'm gonna call BS on this. The rumor went around after Pat Lafontaine left that it was because he told Kim to get out because she knew nothing about hockey. My brother is friends​ with their daughter and has nothing but nice things to say about Kim so I doubt she inspired this much animosity in those that work for her and Terry.

You can be nice and know nothing about hockey.

So that was a rumor about Patty too, and both execs left / were fired. 

She could be the nicest woman in the world; that doesn't mean that he wouldn't say something like that.

But what if he was right? I mean, the word exists for a reason.

Even if you can make an argument that there is a good time to swear at anybody to their face (there really isn't), it is completely unprofessional to do so in any sort of business situation. If he's saying that to the owner of the team, imagine what he says to other GM's and people within the league, much less his own employees. Someone who does that sort of thing is so unhinged that they should not be employed, much less in a managment position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.