Update: Sabres sign D Man Viktor Antipin to 1yr ELC

Brawndo

On the other hand, he probably also wants to prioritize going somewhere he has opportunity to shine. If he signs here, barring other moves at LHD, he's got a beautiful shot at a top-4 spot.

No, but at least in Murray's mind, I'd imagine he's one of the two he has to add with top-4 potential. Antipin might count as my "under the radar with upside" signing I think Murray has to make. Still need an established addition on the right side though.

That is where I am at as well. The other add will be key. As stated, I'm not confident in penciling Antipin into a top 4 role right off the bat, but for arguments sake, let's just say Murray is:

McCabe - Ristolainen

Antipin - xxx

Guhle - Bogosian

I think that would be ok, provided Murray is able to add a bonafide talent to the top 4 right side, much as you mentioned. I'm hoping we are able to acquire at least a Brodin-level talent, and that would seem to be achievable for Murray. Brodin being a left shot, I wonder who the comparables are for the right side that are potentially acquireable.

Even assuming we add Antipin, we still need that one other acquisition, and judging from his presser it seems like there is a good chance Murray feels the same way.

As to Antipin, he'll be on a one year ELC at 925K like Vaitsez was this season.  A very small amount of money (in sports terms) to take a risk with.  It's kind of a no brainer actually.  After all how many of these Sabres besides Gionta have ever played deep into the playoffs?  

If he and Guhle work out, then our LD is set for years with McCabe, Guhle and Antipin.  

As to the cap, we have tons of money for next year, but 2018-19 is the question mark.

As of right now our cap situation is as follows.

We have 10 forwards under contract. ROR, Okposo. Kane, Moulson, Ennis, Jack, Sam, Delo, Carrier and Baptiste (I'm adding Baptiste based on GMTM's Presser).  Cost 32.35 (RFA's ERod, Larsson, Girgensons, and Foligno; UFA Gionta)  Other forwards; Nylander (925K), Bailey (670K), Fasching (925K), Smith (925K)

We have 6 D under contract.  Risto, McCabe, Gorges, Falk, Guhle and Bogo.  Cost: 17 mill (RFA's Austin; UFA's Franson Fedun and Kulikov)

We have no G under contact: RFA's Lehner and Ullmark; UFA Nilsson

That's 16 players under contract for 49.35 million.  In theory if we sign the 2 RFA goalies, Antipin, and the 3 NHL RFAs, Our roster would be complete for next year.  I figure Lehner 3yr for 12mil, UIlmark 1yr 750K, Antipin 925K, Foligno 2yr for 5 mill, Larsson 1.25 for 2 years, and Girgensons 1yr 1.50.  That's another 11 mill, bringing us to a full roster for just over 60 mill.  That leaves 16 million to make major moves.  if we can dump to of the 4 bad contracts, we'll be in great shape to make a major move or 2.  

As to Antipin, he'll be on a one year ELC at 925K like Vaitsez was this season.  A very small amount of money (in sports terms) to take a risk with.  It's kind of a no brainer actually.  After all how many of these Sabres besides Gionta have ever played deep into the playoffs?  

If he and Guhle work out, then our LD is set for years with McCabe, Guhle and Antipin.  

As to the cap, we have tons of money for next year, but 2018-19 is the question mark.

As of right now our cap situation is as follows.

We have 10 forwards under contract. ROR, Okposo. Kane, Moulson, Ennis, Jack, Sam, Delo, Carrier and Baptiste (I'm adding Baptiste based on GMTM's Presser).  Cost 32.35 (RFA's ERod, Larsson, Girgensons, and Foligno; UFA Gionta)  Other forwards; Nylander (925K), Bailey (670K), Fasching (925K), Smith (925K)

We have 6 D under contract.  Risto, McCabe, Gorges, Falk, Guhle and Bogo.  Cost: 17 mill (RFA's Austin; UFA's Franson Fedun and Kulikov)

We have no G under contact: RFA's Lehner and Ullmark; UFA Nilsson

That's 16 players under contract for 49.35 million.  In theory if we sign the 2 RFA goalies, Antipin, and the 3 NHL RFAs, Our roster would be complete for next year.  I figure Lehner 3yr for 12mil, UIlmark 1yr 750K, Antipin 925K, Foligno 2yr for 5 mill, Larsson 1.25 for 2 years, and Girgensons 1yr 1.50.  That's another 11 mill, bringing us to a full roster for just over 60 mill.  That leaves 16 million to make major moves.  if we can dump to of the 4 bad contracts, we'll be in great shape to make a major move or 2.

d

So we can afford a Karl Alzner?

yes but other teams can offer a system that allows the defense to rush and be creative and look for long break-out passes and also to join the rush which obviously Blysma is totally against...hate to say it but after looking at this team and it's system under Disco Dan he'll head off to any other team where he'll be free to play his game and not being made to play the Sabres' coaches game

There's plenty to criticize Bylsma over but to me saying he's totally against the defense getting more involved offensively is unfair.  He allows Risto to be heavily involved and Bogosian brings the puck deep into the offensive zone on occasion.  Problem is we just don't have those type of defensive players - that's the issue. 

Bylsma was known for "north-south hockey" which means he likes his defense to make quick long stretch passes to the forwards.  I think we see some of that.  I'm not sure about his philosophy of the defense joining the rush - it may be that he doesn't want them to but like I said could be due to the type of players we currently have.

What's irrelevant? I didn't advocate for not signing him. It was a legitimate question posited, it wasn't rhetorical.

I guess my point was, this is the opportunity that's available at the moment.  Execute on that and don't focus on what might happen with other defensemen.  But if he's the only NHL-ready guy the Sabres pick up in the off-season, yeah, I'll be disappointed.

That is where I am at as well. The other add will be key. As stated, I'm not confident in penciling Antipin into a top 4 role right off the bat, but for arguments sake, let's just say Murray is:

McCabe - Ristolainen

Antipin - xxx

Guhle - Bogosian

I think that would be ok, provided Murray is able to add a bonafide talent to the top 4 right side, much as you mentioned. I'm hoping we are able to acquire at least a Brodin-level talent, and that would seem to be achievable for Murray. Brodin being a left shot, I wonder who the comparables are for the right side that are potentially acquireable.

Even assuming we add Antipin, we still need that one other acquisition, and judging from his presser it seems like there is a good chance Murray feels the same way.

IIRC Brodin is capable of playing his offhand side, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I know you're not big on him, but I'd try to explore the Trouba front to see if anything is still cooking there. On Minnesota, I think we can assume the Wild would prefer to keep Suter, Spurgeon, and Dumba--either Brodin or Scandella could be had. In the framework that gives us an "extra" lefty, but it's nice insurance against Antipin busting or Guhle needing significant Rochester time...but doing so still leaves a gaping hole on the right side we don't have the assets to fill. In any event, assuming they finish getting swept out of the playoffs, I'd think Minnesota would be looking to shake things up a bit; plus, Murray makes a trade with Fletcher seemingly yearly, so there's a rapport there. 

I still think Tanev is a viable target, but man, he's hurt as much as freaking Bogosian.

I also still think Vatanen is the most likely Ducks Dman to get traded, but he doesn't really do much to help ease Risto's defensive load, which is something that's desperately needed.

Are the Preds an underrated possibility? I don't think they have a particularly compelling reason to move Ekholm or Ellis, but if they end up losing to the Hawks, maybe they opt for some scoring punch up front? 

Every time I look at this, I remember why I go long periods of time without looking at it--it's bleak. If freaking Bogosian OR Kulikov would have worked, this would all be so much easier. We need some luck for once.

Good stuff, True,

I'll agree it seems much less than ideal, currently. Murray admitted he had to upgrade the D, but I'm really in believe-it-when-I-see-it mode. Hopefully he succeeds, we'll need an addition of at least the quality of the guys on your list. Maybe he has a few "surprise" targets in mind.

Per Alvis Kalanis

Viktor Antipin and Buffalo Sabres have talked recently, feeling is that they will indeed get a deal done, most likely after World Champs.

Good news

No idea who Alvis Kalanis is. Hope the info is good.

Even if he's only a solid 5/6 in his 1st year on the smaller rink, it's good to have an extra for the 20 games or so when a 5/6 is filling in for the broken Bogosian.

Per Alvis Kalanis

Viktor Antipin and Buffalo Sabres have talked recently, feeling is that they will indeed get a deal done, most likely after World Champs.

Good news

Bit surprising, didn't expect much with NHL players not allowed in the olympics.

I think he'll be a boost to our 2nd PP.

Who's talking to him? TPegs himself?

The Sabres European Scouts who initially contacted him are still in place. Maybe one of them

No idea who Alvis Kalanis is. Hope the info is good.

Even if he's only a solid 5/6 in his 1st year on the smaller rink, it's good to have an extra for the 20 games or so when a 5/6 is filling in for the broken Bogosian.

He is a Blogger with KHL Connections, he also writes for the Sabres Blog Die by the Blade

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.