Update: Sabres sign D Man Viktor Antipin to 1yr ELC

Brawndo

I'm glad we are honoring our commitments, but I wonder about a new GM's feeling about such a signing.

You're only allowed 50 signed players. Have a hard time believing that a GM would be upset about having a mid-20's NHL (in all likelihood) caliber D-man added as one of those 50. Even if the new guy "hates Russians," & if it turns out that he's only a 6 that would in a worst case be a tradable asset, unlike say a Chad Rhuwedel. Much better to have Antipin in the fold. Edited by Taro T

You're only allowed 50 signed players. Have a hard time believing that a GM would be upset about having a mid-20's NHL (in all likelihood) caliber D-man added as one of those 50. Even if the new guy "hates Russians," & if it turns out that he's only a 6 that would in a worst case be a tradable asset, unlike say a Chad Rhuwedel. Much better to have Antipin in the fold.

And on top of that, it's a depth chart that is very thin on the blue line

Johansen was picked fourth overall

Went back to junior and scored 92 points in 63 games.

Added 21 points in 67 games as a rookie

And then followed that with 12 points in in 40 games in the lockout year.

Reinhart was picked second overall

Went back to junior and scored 105 points in 60 games.

Added 42 points in 69 games as a rookie

And then followed that with 47 points in in 79 games as a sophomore.

One could argue Reinhart is on a path to be better than Johansen

Unless of course #Hammymath

Edited by dudacek

Johansen was picked fourth overall

Went back to junior and scored 92 points in 63 games.

Added 21 points in 67 games as a rookie

And then followed that with 12 points in in 40 games in the lockout year.

Reinhart was picked second overall

Went back to junior and scored 105 points in 60 games.

Added 42 points in 69 games as a rookie

And then followed that with 47 points in in 79 games as a sophomore.

One could argue Reinhart is on a path to be better than Johansen

Unless of course #Hammymath

Very good points. I really don't want to see Sam go. But I also really don't want to watch that defence again.

I'm going to let the next GM trade Kane for that D.  For some reason, I have this gut feeling that Sam is going to blossom fully next season in a 65-70 pts guy.  Reinhart kind of reminds me of Derek Roy, but more talented.  Roy had 46 pts at 22 years old and then blossomed into a 60 pt player at 23 and an 81 player @ 24.   Reinhart had 47 as a 21 year last season.  Is it really unreasonable to think that he might similarly improve?

I'm going to let the next GM trade Kane for that D.  For some reason, I have this gut feeling that Sam is going to blossom fully next season in a 65-70 pts guy.  Reinhart kind of reminds me of Derek Roy, but more talented.  Roy had 46 pts at 22 years old and then blossomed into a 60 pt player at 23 and an 81 player @ 24.   Reinhart had 47 as a 21 year last season.  Is it really unreasonable to think that he might similarly improve?

So friggin excited that the next coach will understand how to utilize the players on this team. That plus a couple additions and subtractions and I'm starting to feel pumped for the new season. Sam could break out.

I'm convinced Kane's gone at Pegulas order: not the kind of person he wants on his team.

If so, he should be leverage for that D man.

If NHL history is any indication, the third season is usually where talented forwards make a jump.

I have very high expectations for Sam next year.

Edited by dudacek

I'm convinced Kane's gone at Pegulas order: not the kind of person he wants on his team.

If so, he should be leverage for that D man.

If NHL history is any indication, the third season is usually where talented forwards make a jump.

I have very high expectations for Sam next year.

You are probably right that Kane is a goner.  I'm ok with that.  I almost came around to being a Kane supporter, but trading him now at max value makes the most sense.  Vatanen? Almost a wash in cap $, (short-term).  

If we get a Vatanen, after signing Antipin plus Guhle, I might even be inclined to use our top pick on big winger (Vesalainen?)  (and then get 2 D in the 2nd rd). The average age of our top 6 D at that point would be 24 at the start of next season (Bogo 27, Vatanen 26, Antipin 24, Guhle 20, Risto 23 and McCabe 24).   

Interested? Sure. I'm just a little taken back by the unanimous opinion that we can just plug him into next year's lineup.

Why can't we? Toronto did with a very similar player and he produced pretty well. The KHL is not the AHL, there are quite a few really good players there. Antipin played for team Russia in the World's, he definitely isn't some scrub.

Edited by matter2003

I'm going to predict that Kane is not a goner (assuming he stays out of trouble this summer).

I think TP will not micromanage his new GM on something like this -- and that the new GM is going to want to keep Kane.

I hope this is right.

I'm going to predict that Kane is not a goner (assuming he stays out of trouble this summer).

I think TP will not micromanage his new GM on something like this -- and that the new GM is going to want to keep Kane.

Didn't you see a lot of the subtext coming out of the year-enders - character, structure, standards, commitment - directed at Kane?

I mean Kane's last two interviews were basically focused on him justifying - apropos of very little - how he is different.

I agree. I've been seeing the whole "Kane is a goner" thing flying around and I think it's bunk.

Didn't you see a lot of the subtext coming out of the year-enders - character, structure, standards, commitment - directed at Kane?

I mean Kane's last two interviews were basically focused on him justifying - apropos of very little - how he is different.

Well, i didn't watch those interviews with Kane. But my takeaway from TP's stressing of "character, communication, etc" was that it related more to failings in how the organization was run off the ice than to individual players. I.e. it seemed to me that TP came away from the exit interviews with players and staff with the impression that GMTM ran a disorganized snake pit of an organization, and that this inevitably had deleterious effects on the on-ice product.

Also, my understanding is that Kane generally practices hard and doesn't present a team discipline problem. If I'm wrong about that, then I think your prediction becomes more likely.

As long as we lock him up to an extension this summer, then. Can't risk losing him for nothing, or dumping him for near nothing at the deadline.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.