Update: Sabres sign D Man Viktor Antipin to 1yr ELC

Brawndo

8. That team’s blue line could really be poached. Another defender, 24-year-old Viktor Antipin (also a lefty), is expected to join Buffalo. The Sabres won a bit of a recruiting battle, with Calgary, Chicago, Columbus and Pittsburgh all poking around.

Per Friedman's 30 Thoughts

Edited by BRAWNDO

8. That team’s blue line could really be poached. Another defender, 24-year-old Viktor Antipin (also a lefty), is expected to join Buffalo. The Sabres won a bit of a recruiting battle, with Calgary, Chicago, Columbus and Pittsburgh all poking around.

Per Friedman's 30 Thoughts

Anyone know anything about him other than he'll turn 25 around Christmas?

Son of a former KHLer. Played on Russia WC jr team in 2012 and their last 2 WC teams.

Hard to tell by looking at just stats, but it he looks like a puck mover with some O. However he might also be pretty solid in his own end based on +/- number. That said Magnitogorosk Metallurg has been the KHL's best team for the last 4 years. Mike Keenan was his coach in the KHL for two of those years.

I heard he's a soft Euro that doesn't know how to grind those ###### down. DB does not approve. He'll be below Gorges on the depth chart (E5).

As an aside, I know your (E5) remark is in reference to Eklund when his "rumors" used to get posted on here a lot, but I haven't heard anything from him in what seems like years. Is he still spouting his nonsense out there and we are smart enough to ignore him or did Hockeybuzz finally full the plug?

As an aside, I know your (E5) remark is in reference to Eklund when his "rumors" used to get posted on here a lot, but I haven't heard anything from him in what seems like years. Is he still spouting his nonsense out there and we are smart enough to ignore him or did Hockeybuzz finally full the plug?

He is still spouting crap:  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/ we are just ignoring him...

From Aivis Kalnins who reports on the KHL

Antipin is more mature guy while Berezgalov has some speed in his game, I believe that both would be great fits for NHL teams looking to add

Both are NHL ready and will bring experience to which ever team they end us siging with.

Look at Nikita Zaitsev, both guys are in a somewhat same realm.

When asked about back end production

Antipin will bring that production, but will take time to adjust, biggest gain by getting him is the experience, 2 cups speak for themselves

Well, it looks like so far he's #2 in playoff ice time on the best team in the KHL's Eastern conference (3rd-best in the KHL).  I can't figure out how to get the KHL's website to deliver regular season stats.

So presumably a top-pair defenseman from a good KHL team -- and also presumably a guy with some speed and skill. 

That sounds like it has potential.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.