Update: Sabres sign D Man Viktor Antipin to 1yr ELC

Brawndo

Viktor Antipin scores the GWG on the PP, registers a game-high seven shots on goal and one blocked shot in a game-high 25:36 of TOI. #Sabres

I went to the KHL site hoping to see some video of him but it wants you to download a bunch of stuff. Lord knows what Putin puts on your computer.  How sure a thing is signing him? Done deal or will Toronto swoop in?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not expecting this guy to help the Sabres blue line. At all.

A puck moving D Man who score a lot of his goals on the rush.

The only way he doesn't help is if signs with another team. The because it's Buffalo Sports Fan in me, thinks this is a possibility now

The only way he doesn't help is if signs with another team. The because it's Buffalo Sports Fan in me, thinks this is a possibility now

Or if our head coach doesn't use him as a puck moving d man on the rush

I don't expect that you know much about him then. At all.

You are right but someone needed to slow down the Norris trophy bandwagon that has started with him. He may be a decent player but the odds are against it. Everyone has him slated in our top 6 and we don't even know if he can play in the league.

You are right but someone needed to slow down the Norris trophy bandwagon that has started with him. He may be a decent player but the odds are against it. Everyone has him slated in our top 6 and we don't even know if he can play in the league.

Top 6 for this team is a pretty low bar.

Babcock has been using Zaitsev as a top pair. Not to suggest Antipin would be the same, but he has been compared to him and has performed well in the KHL. The good players in the KHL are usually at least serviceable in the NHL.

If he signs with the Sabres (a big if what with the Olympics not a part of the NHL next season, plus you know, 31 other NHL teams)...   he's represented Russia in the last 2 World Championships (although he was not on last season's World Cup of Hockey team). That's probably sufficient talent to play in our top 6.

Maybe draft the young Finn D and get Antipin...  Kulikov re-signs for a moderate price. Guhle plays on the 3rd pairing with Gorges (to stay at home while Guhle rushes). Oh, and we add trade a 3rd to LV for a "conditional pick" and their taking of Bogosian. Franson signs in Toronto. Voila!

All too easy.

If he signs with the Sabres (a big if what with the Olympics not a part of the NHL next season, plus you know, 31 other NHL teams)...   he's represented Russia in the last 2 World Championships (although he was not on last season's World Cup of Hockey team). That's probably sufficient talent to play in our top 6.

Maybe draft the young Finn D and get Antipin...  Kulikov re-signs for a moderate price. Guhle plays on the 3rd pairing with Gorges (to stay at home while Guhle rushes). Oh, and we add trade a 3rd to LV for a "conditional pick" and their taking of Bogosian. Franson signs in Toronto. Voila!

All too easy.

No free agent signing of a defenseman?

No free agent signing of a defenseman?

I guess technically that'd be Antipin, right?

But why not....  And Shattenkirk. He's disillusioned by an early (1st/2nd round) exit with the Caps, plus the Blues inexplicably going to the Final after jettisoning them. So he's talking to fellow American blueliner McCabe in the summer and realizes his destiny is the Sabres. So he gives us a homestate discount and signs for only $5M/season to take Bogo's spot.

So what level of absurdity are we looking at?

McCabe - Ristolainen

Guhle - Shattenkirk

Kulikov - Antipin

(Gorges)

Sure...  there we go.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Kulikov won't sign with us. He was devastated when BUF traded for him

I guess technically that'd be Antipin, right?

But why not.... And Shattenkirk. He's disillusioned by an early (1st/2nd round) exit with the Caps, plus the Blues inexplicably going to the Final after jettisoning them. So he's talking to fellow American blueliner McCabe in the summer and realizes his destiny is the Sabres. So he gives us a homestate discount and signs for only $5M/season to take Bogo's spot.

So what level of absurdity are we looking at?

McCabe - Ristolainen

Guhle - Shattenkirk

Kulikov - Antipin

(Gorges)

Sure... there we go.

Shatt will sign with NYR, certainly not us. Kulikov won't resign, guhle will be protected in bottom pairing and antipin will be a top 4

But you have no idea if his game will translate. Everyone references the Toronto dman. Have there been others? What's the success rate? How does he compare to past successes or failures? Has anyone done this analysis or did everyone just pencil him in and wash their hands of it.

I'm not expecting this guy to help the Sabres blue line. At all.

Why not? He's been a stud in Russia for years now and does well in international competitions. Players translate pretty well from KHL to NHL. Not saying he'll be as good as he's there or a top pairing minutes eater but I'd be surprised if he wasn't a strong second pair guy.

But you have no idea if his game will translate. Everyone references the Toronto dman. Have there been others? What's the success rate? How does he compare to past successes or failures? Has anyone done this analysis or did everyone just pencil him in and wash their hands of it.

I get that you're being cautious but not everyone that plays in the NHL came from a singular source.  We're being active to fix the defense - what's not to be interested in with this young man?

I get that you're being cautious but not everyone that plays in the NHL came from a singular source. We're being active to fix the defense - what's not to be interested in with this young man?

Interested? Sure. I'm just a little taken back by the unanimous opinion that we can just plug him into next year's lineup.

Interested? Sure. I'm just a little taken back by the unanimous opinion that we can just plug him into next year's lineup.

I'm here as well. Especially if people are penciling Antipin in in place of a true, proven commodity defensive upgrade transaction from Murray, that needs to come this offseason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.