Update: Sabres sign D Man Viktor Antipin to 1yr ELC

Brawndo

Interested? Sure. I'm just a little taken back by the unanimous opinion that we can just plug him into next year's lineup.

I've been preaching for weeks that we need to sign some cheap vets in case Antipin and Guhle aren't NHL ready.  However, both are going to get first crack at roster spot based on GMTM comments about Guhle and the fact that Antipin isn't signing with us (or anyone else) without some assurance he is "guaranteed" as NHL roster spot.  That doesn't mean he won't end up in the press box if he sucks.  

There is a couple things I like about Antipin coming here.  He has been part of a dominate winning program, he has improved with each passing season, been coached by a good NHL coach in Mike Keenen and has played with a bunch of former NHLers like Wolski and Semin.  The smaller ice will take some time to adjust to, but considering the development of Zaitsev, who is of similar age and KHL production, it is reasonable to believe he'll be a productive NHL player.

clearly between Zaitzev and Radulov (think that is how you spell them) it is obvious that players coming from the KHL can indeed play in he NHL at a high level...which tells me that Antipin will take one look at the Sabres' "system" and know he won;t fit in because they do not preach or allow d men to attack and that is his game apparently so he'll be off to any other team where rushing d-men are something cherished and they are free to do their thing whereas our D are told obviously to play it tight and not take any chances

I've been preaching for weeks that we need to sign some cheap vets in case Antipin and Guhle aren't NHL ready.  However, both are going to get first crack at roster spot based on GMTM comments about Guhle and the fact that Antipin isn't signing with us (or anyone else) without some assurance he is "guaranteed" as NHL roster spot.  That doesn't mean he won't end up in the press box if he sucks.  

There is a couple things I like about Antipin coming here.  He has been part of a dominate winning program, he has improved with each passing season, been coached by a good NHL coach in Mike Keenen and has played with a bunch of former NHLers like Wolski and Semin.  The smaller ice will take some time to adjust to, but considering the development of Zaitsev, who is of similar age and KHL production, it is reasonable to believe he'll be a productive NHL player.

I wonder if Antipin will do better on the smaller ice because he is a good skater with less ground to cover. Hard to say, just want him signed so we at least have some options. 

Interested? Sure. I'm just a little taken back by the unanimous opinion that we can just plug him into next year's lineup.

I'm with you on these thoughts.  I'm definitely not someone looking at him as solution next year - rather that he represents what we're trying to put together for the future.  When realistically this team will be ready to be a perennial winning team.

I've been preaching for weeks that we need to sign some cheap vets in case Antipin and Guhle aren't NHL ready.

Falk.  Fedun. 

Falk is already signed.  If they don't sign Fedun, there are other journeymen defensemen out there who have labored in the obscurity of the AHL while honing their craft.  I'm not saying there's a wealth of top-4 Dmen just sitting there, but as we've seen with those two, there are players available that can serve as depth D, come to play as solid 3rd pairing guys that can play spot duty in the top 4.  And there are also undrafted college players who've improved in 4 years at that level.

Falk.  Fedun. 

Falk is already signed.  If they don't sign Fedun, there are other journeymen defensemen out there who have labored in the obscurity of the AHL while honing their craft.  I'm not saying there's a wealth of top-4 Dmen just sitting there, but as we've seen with those two, there are players available that can serve as depth D, come to play as solid 3rd pairing guys that can play spot duty in the top 4.  And there are also undrafted college players who've improved in 4 years at that level.

And perhaps that kid from Colorado can be enticed here. 

Kulikov won't sign with us. He was devastated when BUF traded for him

Shatt will sign with NYR, certainly not us. Kulikov won't resign, guhle will be protected in bottom pairing and antipin will be a top 4

No he wasn't, he was happy to come here, but the way the season went for him I can understand him not wanting to hang around any more.

Sometimes you just need to restart your career somewhere else.

Careful what you wish for, signing cheap vets can mean Benoit and Meszaros.

Antipin named the best defensemen of the KHL playoffs. Seems like a good find by Murray

great find but somehow I doubt with our lousy system he'd wanna comehere where he isn;t free to rush and do creative type things. Remember, Danny likes everyone playing the same boring defensive score-a-goal-then-hang-on-for-dear-life system that hasn;t worked in the NHL for like 6 or 7 years since they stopped allowing all the clutching and grabbing and interference inside the blueline to hold up forecheckers. you could trap and bore the other team to death like New Jersey perfected way back when but now even a 3 or 4 goal lead isn;t safe...gotta keep the pedal to the metal these days which is completely opposite from Blysma's outdated system 

great find but somehow I doubt with our lousy system he'd wanna comehere where he isn;t free to rush and do creative type things. Remember, Danny likes everyone playing the same boring defensive score-a-goal-then-hang-on-for-dear-life system that hasn;t worked in the NHL for like 6 or 7 years since they stopped allowing all the clutching and grabbing and interference inside the blueline to hold up forecheckers. you could trap and bore the other team to death like New Jersey perfected way back when but now even a 3 or 4 goal lead isn;t safe...gotta keep the pedal to the metal these days which is completely opposite from Blysma's outdated system 

Buffalo is either going to have to offer a lot more money, or have some sort of promise about the system in place to get Antipin here. If this guy is as good as people are talking about, he'll have offers from teams that suit is style better.

No he wasn't, he was happy to come here, but the way the season went for him I can understand him not wanting to hang around any more.

Sometimes you just need to restart your career somewhere else.

According to Buffalo beat reporters he was.  What he says in a news conference and reality, are different things

Falk.  Fedun. 

I'm not talking about AAAA players like Falk and Fedun. I'm talking about vets 29-35 that can be had for 1 to 2 per season. Guys like Hunwick, Seidenberg, Quincey, Polak. Guys that step in an play 20 minutes in a pinch and have the playoff experience a young team needs. There is often a pile of such guys that get signed in the 2nd and 3rd wave of FA signings.

Buffalo is either going to have to offer a lot more money, or have some sort of promise about the system in place to get Antipin here. If this guy is as good as people are talking about, he'll have offers from teams that suit is style better.

ELCs are the same for every team. His second contract is a different story.

yes but other teams can offer a system that allows the defense to rush and be creative and look for long break-out passes and also to join the rush which obviously Blysma is totally against...hate to say it but after looking at this team and it's system under Disco Dan he'll head off to any other team where he'll be free to play his game and not being made to play the Sabres' coaches game

yes but other teams can offer a system that allows the defense to rush and be creative and look for long break-out passes and also to join the rush which obviously Blysma is totally against...hate to say it but after looking at this team and it's system under Disco Dan he'll head off to any other team where he'll be free to play his game and not being made to play the Sabres' coaches game

ELCs are the same for every team. His second contract is a different story.

If I'm Antipin, I have to seriously consider going somewhere that's going to make me look the best for the second contract. If he comes here and struggles with the long pass for a year or two, it could cost him meeeeeellions.

Of course, if he signs with a team that can't give him the minutes, that doesn't help him either.  He can potentially step right into a top 4 role in Buffalo.

Are people ok with Antipin being the most notable defenceman acquisition from Murray this offseason, if it comes to pass?

Do we have cap space to land someone really good?

I'm not sure. I would hope so, but I guess it depends on who Murray would decide to ship out in a trade. I'm not sure Murray can afford to not upgrade the defence in a meaningful way.

If I'm Antipin, I have to seriously consider going somewhere that's going to make me look the best for the second contract. If he comes here and struggles with the long pass for a year or two, it could cost him meeeeeellions.

On the other hand, he probably also wants to prioritize going somewhere he has opportunity to shine. If he signs here, barring other moves at LHD, he's got a beautiful shot at a top-4 spot.

Are people ok with Antipin being the most notable defenceman acquisition from Murray this offseason, if it comes to pass?

No, but at least in Murray's mind, I'd imagine he's one of the two he has to add with top-4 potential. Antipin might count as my "under the radar with upside" signing I think Murray has to make. Still need an established addition on the right side though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.