Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

So the Bills rely on a scouting staff they don't think is good enough to continue employing to tell them who is worth trading up for. Maximum Bills.

Turn to the dark side! You know you want to!

So the Bills rely on a scouting staff they don't think is good enough to continue employing to tell them who is worth trading up for. Maximum Bills.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24707-buffalo-bills-2017/?p=941687

It's in the first paragraph of the article freeman linked to:

Although plenty of teams react to a bad season by dumping front-office employees in January, the more sensible approach is to wait until after the draft. That’s when the bulk of the work has ended, and it also prevents the scout from taking to a new team the fruits of the labor performed on the prior employer’s nickel.

Edited by Eleven

So the guy that had Pegula's every confidence a few months ago is now fired?    

It's a good move, long overdue  - but it seems that truth and Terry Pegula are mutually exclusive.  

It must be horrible to work for Pegula;   a mercurial, impulsive billionaire who tells his employee he or she is doing a great job - then the axe falls.    

Are good personnel going to want to work in such a climate?  

Edited by Jsixspd

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24707-buffalo-bills-2017/?p=941687

It's in the first paragraph of the article freeman linked to:

Although plenty of teams react to a bad season by dumping front-office employees in January, the more sensible approach is to wait until after the draft. That’s when the bulk of the work has ended, and it also prevents the scout from taking to a new team the fruits of the labor performed on the prior employer’s nickel.

Exactly. First, it's not like scouts keep all notes to themselves till April. The last three months are fine tuning the lists. Second, no other organization is going to let you hire their personnel people till after the draft so you can either hire people out of work or go with some draft guru's list.

I am not happy that a man has lost his job (I recall SFiNS putting this very well when DR was fired), but I am glad the Bills have turned the page. I think they have a real chance of rejoining the world of serious NFL teams now.

You know I'm a fan of DW, but I'm glad they moved on as well.

Let's guess the key points of the upcoming insightful and meaty Pegula presser;

Terry, why fire Doug Whaley now?

"Character, discipline, blah blah blah blah"

But Terry, didn't you say in January that Whaley had your confidence?

"We're not here to talk about the past....  even yesterday is off limits... blah blah blah blah"

Edited by Jsixspd

It's a good move, long overdue  - but it seems that truth and Terry Pegula are mutually exclusive.  

It must be horrible to work for Pegula;   a mercurial, impulsive billionaire who tells his employee he or she is doing a great job - then the axe falls.    

1.  It's almost like people's opinions change over time.

2.  Yes, good personnel are going to want to work for them.  There are 32 GM jobs in the NFL.  There are 31 in the NHL.  They will have no problem filling either.

I think they have a real chance of rejoining the world of serious NFL teams now.

I just can't be optimistic.  Weren't we thinking similar happy thoughts when Regier was fired 3 1/2 years ago?   Today, we're still a 70-something point team in the bottom 5 of the league, in search of another GM.  

Let's guess the key points of the upcoming insightful and meaty Pegula presser;

Terry, why fire Doug Whaley now?

"Character, discipline, blah blah blah blah"

But Terry, didn't you say in January that Whaley had your confidence?

"We're not here to talk about the past.... even yesterday is off limits... blah blah blah blah"

Do you think they should've kept DW?

Do you think DW is unhappy that TP gave him a fat extension, so that he will continue to be paid a multimillion dollar salary for the next few years?

Do you think DW thought that he couldn't be fired for poor performance?

Do you think TP should've announced publicly a year ago that DW might get fired if the Bills continued to stink and look like a Mickey Mouse organization in the process?

How do you think the real world works?

1.  It's almost like people's opinions change over time.

2.  Yes, good personnel are going to want to work for them.  There are 32 GM jobs in the NFL.  There are 31 in the NHL.  They will have no problem filling either.

Well, it's a radical opinion shift in just a few months time.   Kind of similar to Murray -  In October, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and Pegula is lavishing a huge contract on him.   In April, Murray's fertilizer.  

The Pegulas seem to be establishing a track record of frequent firings, and rapid changes of heart;   seems hard to believe that doesn't give them a bad rep with job candidates.      It's like a revolving door there

Oh, and remember - Pegula said he doesn't like to fire people.  LOL

This has happened to the Billsin the recent past, it's how they ended up with Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey

Well, it's a radical opinion shift in just a few months time.   Kind of similar to Murray -  In October, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and Pegula is lavishing a huge contract on him.   In April, Murray's fertilizer.  

The Pegulas seem to be establishing a track record of frequent firings, and rapid changes of heart;   seems hard to believe that doesn't give them a bad rep with job candidates.      It's like a revolving door there

Oh, and remember - Pegula said he doesn't like to fire people.  LOL

If anyone offered ANY of us a job as an NHL GM tomorrow, we'd say yes before we even knew which team.

And if you've ever fired anyone, you know that no one likes to fire people.

This has happened to the Billsin the recent past, it's how they ended up with Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey

No, that was because Wilson didn't want to pay anyone.

Al Davis and Dan Snyder have also had issues finding people willing to come work for them

My big concern here is so much power being given to a head coach who has yet to coach a game.

What if they have a terrible season? An 0-5 start can sink your whole organization

Edited by Lanny

Al Davis and Dan Snyder have also had issues finding people willing to come work for them

My big concern here is so much power being given to a head coach who has yet to coach a game.

What if they have a terrible season? An 0-5 start can sink your whole organization

I don't know about recent history, but when I lived in Washington, Snyder went through a coach every year and never had problems hiring the next one.  These are not tough jobs to fill.  It's like a position in an orchestra; there are hundreds of candidates for every seat.

Your second concern is legitimate and I share it.

. Show.

Do you think they should've kept DW?

Do you think DW is unhappy that TP gave him a fat extension, so that he will continue to be paid a multimillion dollar salary for the next few years?

Do you think DW thought that he couldn't be fired for poor performance?

Do you think TP should've announced publicly a year ago that DW might get fired if the Bills continued to stink and look like a Mickey Mouse organization in the process?

How do you think the real world works?

I have just one question for you. Did DW hire Wrecks?

This is a very valid concern IMHO. I like what I've seen of McD but one could easily conclude that TP cottoned to him in his interview and rashly gave him the keys to the entire operation without him demonstrating the competence to justify the move.

Again, this is not an unusual scenario. Teams regularly make scouting staffs stay till after draft. It's not just a bills thing.

I'm aware. I'm just still salty over the multiple trades up.

Anyway, this is either good or bad news depending on your point of view: https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/858682680430526468

Edited by TrueBlueGED