Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

I was diagnosed with a neck injury as part of my season-ending physical with the Bills. After consultation with Dr. Cappuccino and other physicians, I was informed that I was no longer cleared to play football, even with surgery or further treatment.

Just saw that as well. Glad that they caught it when they did and that Wood will seemingly be able to life a normal life going forward. 32 is plenty young :)

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield is on that list and he got the ball rolling while in Orlando for the Senior Bowl this week. Mayfield told Robert Klemko of SI.com that he had “extensive meetings” with the Bills, Dolphins, Jets and Saints that Mayfield said were his real reason for coming to the event.

From SI

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield is on that list and he got the ball rolling while in Orlando for the Senior Bowl this week. Mayfield told Robert Klemko of SI.com that he had “extensive meetings” with the Bills, Dolphins, Jets and Saints that Mayfield said were his real reason for coming to the event.

From SI

This would be unbelievably depressing

They can't , they just lost Wood, they need help on Defense and not waste picks on trading up.

There is no price too high for a true franchise QB (loosely defined as someone who could be in the HoF). On the other hand, if you pay a king's ransom, you damn well better be right. Getting it wrong would be franchise crippling for the foreseeable future.

There is no price too high for a true franchise QB (loosely defined as someone who could be in the HoF). On the other hand, if you pay a king's ransom, you damn well better be right. Getting it wrong would be franchise crippling for the foreseeable future.

It still surprises me that the Redskins traded away so much for RGIII and still drafted Cousins that same year.  They lucked out on that one after what happened to RGIII's career.

I watched enough of the Senior Bowl to know that I don't want any of 'em in the first round.

I understand, don't judge on a few series with a new coach and no system whatsoever.  I get it.  

I also get that Allen looked good against a defense that never had played together.

Rudolph?  Sure, go for it.  The guys who played today?  No.

I watched enough of the Senior Bowl to know that I don't want any of 'em in the first round.

I understand, don't judge on a few series with a new coach and no system whatsoever.  I get it.  

I also get that Allen looked good against a defense that never had played together.

Rudolph?  Sure, go for it.  The guys who played today?  No.

Was hoping Mayfield would stink it up today. Slide, baby, slide. ;)

Bills are playing with house money right now. Even if they trade 21 and 22 to move up, that still means they had a 1st round pick last year and another 1 this year (i.e. same number of firsts as if no trades were made). We haven't had a franchise QB in over 20 years so I'm definitely not against them doing whatever it takes to land one.

I also hope they at least consider trading 21 or 22 if it means another 1st next year too. If this is really the year where moving up can't happen, get creative.

Wood - "After the season I had an MRI that revealed a disc that was dangerously close to my spinal cord"

That Wood press conference was very odd. Delayed nearly an hour and lasted a few minutes max. Leads me to believe the team is trying to identify the best way to mitigate the cap hit.

That Wood press conference was very odd. Delayed nearly an hour and lasted a few minutes max. Leads me to believe the team is trying to identify the best way to mitigate the cap hit.

Or Wood was having difficulty controlling his emotions and wanted to get himself gathered up before a public speaking engagement?

Or this....

John WawrowVerified account @john_wawrow 18m18 minutes ago

CBA language holding up Eric Wood retirement.

Edited by We've

Or Wood was having difficulty controlling his emotions and wanted to get himself gathered up before a public speaking engagement?

Or this....

I think it is more about considering the June 1 impacts and cap considerations. Wood is playing ball with the team to find the least punitive cap implications. “Waived-injured” and “physically unable to perform” carry entirely different connotations than “retired” and offer different cap relief scenarios as well. Since Friday, everyone has been discussing cap ramifications in terms of retirement only. Bills are potentially being smart here.

I think it is more about considering the June 1 impacts and cap considerations. Wood is playing ball with the team to find the least punitive cap implications. “Waived-injured” and “physically unable to perform” carry entirely different connotations than “retired” and offer different cap relief scenarios as well. Since Friday, everyone has been discussing cap ramifications in terms of retirement only. Bills are potentially being smart here.

Which may very well be what Wawrow was getting at in the tweet I posted.

It's on hold over questions whether the Bills can ask him to return a portion of the contract bonus he received in August. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/ap-source-bills-wood-retirement-on-hold-over-bonus-issue/2018/01/29/7eded1fe-052e-11e8-aa61-f3391373867e_story.html?utm_term=.6549b08040d7

"Hey, yeah, i know your career just ended and you're never going to make money playing football ever again but can you give us back all those millions of dollars we gave you a few months ago? Thanks!"

It's on hold over questions whether the Bills can ask him to return a portion of the contract bonus he received in August. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/ap-source-bills-wood-retirement-on-hold-over-bonus-issue/2018/01/29/7eded1fe-052e-11e8-aa61-f3391373867e_story.html?utm_term=.6549b08040d7

"Hey, yeah, i know your career just ended and you're never going to make money playing football ever again but can you give us back all those millions of dollars we gave you a few months ago? Thanks!"

The optics of this are absolutely terrible.

Yuck.

The Pegulas don't care about the money, I trust. 

I'd think the real issue relates to what the cap implications of that bonus are?

I dunno. A bad look, for now, anyway.

Hopefully, the team can finagle an arrangement whereby the team gets some cap relief and Wood gets his money.