Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

The Bills goals in this off-season and draft is to improve the D Line (replace Dareus), get 2 QBs (short-term starter and a future franchise player), get a backup/future starter at RB, add depth on the OLine (Woods gone and how long can Incognito go?) and a LB.

With 5 the picks in the first 3 rounds, I hope for the following

Round 1: a DL and Rudolph

Round 2: Sony Michel and a OL

Round 3: LB Tegray Scales

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The Bills goals in this off-season and draft is to improve the D Line (replace Dareus), get 2 QBs (short-term starter and a future franchise player), get a backup/future starter at RB, add depth on the OLine (Woods gone and how long can Incognito go?) and a LB.

With 5 the picks in the first 3 rounds, I hope for the following

Round 1: a DL and Rudolph

Round 2: Sony Michel and a OL

Round 3: LB Tegray Scales

I want Sony so bad to be a Bill

Cowherd just reported that Kirk Cousins and Broncos are close to a deal

Has to be a trade for his rights, otherwise that's some serious tampering

maybe a fake? I'm not seeing anything about this 

Same. Is this from the radio show?

Edit: Nvm, few sources are reporting Cowherd reported this

Edited by Jokertecken

Here's an in-depth article on the "Patriots get all the calls" theory:  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/2/1/16958718/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-rules-penalties-study

This season, there’s been a constant drumbeat of analysis about why the Patriots commit so few penalties in the playoffs. Their one penalty against the Jaguars in the AFC title game was the fewest in the playoffs since … the Patriots in the 2011 AFC title game. Mainstream outlets have floated the idea that the referees have somehow rigged games for the Pats. But not only do these theories hinge on a faulty premise—the NFL is a $14 billion industry, and 100 million viewers will watch the Super Bowl no matter who’s playing—they also miss the point.

So, here’s a better theory: The Patriots understand the rules, nuances of officiating, and individual referees’ tendencies better than any team in the league. Have calls gone the Patriots’ way? Sure. Is the NFL rigged? No. The big reason the penalty numbers so often skew in New England’s favor is that they know what they can and cannot do on the football field.

Interesting.

But, with that brutal phantom PI in mind from the JAX game, I still think that the refs are, at times, unwittingly influenced by the Pats' aura.

Well, another issue is that home teams get calls (Football Outsiders, I believe, has done fairly extensive analysis on this), and the Patriots are usually the home team in the playoffs.

Do you have a similar article supporting your top-down NBA officiating conspiracy? Or nah?

I just wish Kelvin Benjamin had a better coach telling him the better catch rules, he should have dropped the TD like Cooks did against Houston and then we would have had a bigger halftime lead. Curse that genius Bill. 

I also wish, instead of not laying a finger on the WR in England against Jacksonville on 3rd and 18, Searcy had blatantly PI'd the Jacksonville receiver a la what's-his-nuts in NE's secondary on the critical 3rd down play while Jacksonville was driving last weekend. Then we wouldn't have had the PI call that gave them an automatic first down on their way to the game winning TD. At least the networks were consistent - not a single replay of either play. 

I also wish that TT learned how to intentionally ground properly, and for KB to understand that because he's bigger than everyone, he can push off any time on the field and have the built in excuse that DBs are just puny or something. 

And if any ref has the audacity to not give you free yards? Scream in their face, and throw your arms in the air expecting flags literally, every, single, goddamn, time. 

Then we'll be a winning football team and everyone will love us. 

Bill is the best coach of all time, and his team is disciplined. This article says nothing new, and addresses zero of my concerns. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Well, another issue is that home teams get calls (Football Outsiders, I believe, has done fairly extensive analysis on this), and the Patriots are usually the home team in the playoffs.

Do you have a similar article supporting your top-down NBA officiating conspiracy? Or nah?

What's your point here?

That was a helluva read.

Yes -- excellent (like a lot of the stuff in Players' Tribune, btw).  Thanks.

I hope Sean can figure out how to get to his players that, if you're driving as the first half expires, but fail on 3rd and 18, a simple helmet tap by a defending player on his own teammate to congratulate the sack is enough to get a 15 yard personal foul and with it, a first down. We're probably not disciplined enough to influence how our opponents celebrate, though. 

I feel bad for venting like this, I don't think there's some full-blown conspiracy and while I think the league loves big markets in the SB, I don't think that desire makes its way into game-shaping. I subscribe to Aud's aura theory. That can't be holding, NE wouldn't hold on this important drive. Their starstruck opponents, though? Probably shitting their pants, of course literally the best man-on-man coverage and use-of-sideline I've seen this year, coupled with initial contact being instigated by the WR, is defensive PI worth 40 yards. What else could it be?

Actual conspiracy theories suck. I've been on a big "No, Nikola Tesla is not some standout genius that shaped humanity, and no, he didn't converse with aliens and no, the illuminati didn't kill him" kick recently, thanks to some...interesting...facebook friends.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I just find it odd that you so intensely push back against the notion that there's any kind of implicit bias involving the Patriots, but have no issue believing in a deliberate league-driven effort to force referees to officiate certain players differently.

Well, if you read my posts, you'd see that I agreed that the refs are human and might, once in a great while, inadvertently make a mistake to the Pats' benefit due to some kind of subconscious belief that the Pats are so good that they don't commit penalties, but that the NFL system is designed to monitor and correct those mistakes -- and that what I was really pushing back against were the nonsensical, whiny loser claims that "the refs favor the Pats" and "the NFL wants the Pats to win."

As for the NBA, I think it's pretty widely accepted that as a league it promotes and relies on its stars and that as a related point the stars get more leeway from the refs.  Since you seem dug in on this, though, if I see a good article analyzing this phenomenon, I will post it.