Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

It's on hold over questions whether the Bills can ask him to return a portion of the contract bonus he received in August. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/ap-source-bills-wood-retirement-on-hold-over-bonus-issue/2018/01/29/7eded1fe-052e-11e8-aa61-f3391373867e_story.html?utm_term=.6549b08040d7

Such a bad look. 

It's on hold over questions whether the Bills can ask him to return a portion of the contract bonus he received in August. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/ap-source-bills-wood-retirement-on-hold-over-bonus-issue/2018/01/29/7eded1fe-052e-11e8-aa61-f3391373867e_story.html?utm_term=.6549b08040d7

Woof. If that is anywhere near what the real story is that's a pretty bad P.R. look from our Buffalo Bills. I thought at first it was just a logistics holdup for cap considerations, but it may be more OSP-like than I originally thought.

Woof. If that is anywhere near what the real story is that's a pretty bad P.R. look from our Buffalo Bills. I thought at first it was just a logistics holdup for cap considerations, but it may be more OSP-like than I originally thought.

It's not an actual cash out the door issue -- of that I am quite convinced. The Pegulas have never chintzed that way.

I think it must be a cap management issue.

I'm beginning to think that this is more the case. Schopp and Bulldog had a guest that stated if Wood waits until after June 1 to retire the Bills save around $2M on the 2018 cap. 

So Wood keeps the bonus but does one last solid for the Bills and waits until June 1 to officially retire. Now why they had the event yesterday instead of waiting until June I'm not sure, but I'm going to withhold judgement until more comes out. 

I'm beginning to think that this is more the case. Schopp and Bulldog had a guest that stated if Wood waits until after June 1 to retire the Bills save around $2M on the 2018 cap. 

So Wood keeps the bonus but does one last solid for the Bills and waits until June 1 to officially retire. Now why they had the event yesterday instead of waiting until June I'm not sure, but I'm going to withhold judgement until more comes out. 

I think they had the press conference scheduled like two weeks ago, and this development only came up in the last few days. Must have been easier to keep the original press conference and just say nothing than cancel the whole thing.

I think they had the press conference scheduled like two weeks ago, and this development only came up in the last few days. Must have been easier to keep the original press conference and just say nothing than cancel the whole thing.

But how, how could they not have known the cap ramifications. 

I'm willing to acknowledge that is potentially what happened, but come on. 

Edited by Lanny

But how, how could they not have known the cap ramifications. 

I'm willing to acknowledge that is potentially what happened, but come on. 

To give the benefit of the doubt, maybe the Bills internally knew how they wanted to handle the cap implications, but got word from the NFL that if Wood officially announces his retirement, the team gets in a bind on a technicality. To avoid said scenario, they made sure Wood said nothing in his PC until they get further clarification from the NFL.

Or they just up.

McDermott is hiring a guy named John Butler as the secondary coach.

It was weird that they separated the existing coach (Byrd), after the secondary came together like it did (all 4 starters new to the team) and performed really, really well this season.

Fwiw, Butler is a friend/teammate of McDermott's from high school.

It was weird that they separated the existing coach (Byrd), after the secondary came together like it did (all 4 starters new to the team) and performed really, really well this season.

Do not like this move

What do you mean "separated" the existing coach? 

Also, I also dislike hiring your high school friend.  He better be good. 

What do you mean "separated" the existing coach? 

Also, I also dislike hiring your high school friend.  He better be ###### good. 

I mean they told Byrd that he would not be coming back. I'm not sure whether that amounted to a firing/termination or a non-renewal of a contract.

ooooooooo.... that just seems dumb. The secondary was a bright spot in that defense. 

Ya. I don't get it.

I see that the Texans fired Butler earlier this month. So, McDermott obviously learned that he shook loose, and wanted to go get him.

But it makes no sense to separate a position coach who just oversaw a fantastic season of performance. None. If it ain't broke ... .

Ya. I don't get it.

I see that the Texans fired Butler earlier this month. So, McDermott obviously learned that he shook loose, and wanted to go get him.

But it makes no sense to separate a position coach who just oversaw a fantastic season of performance. None. If it ain't broke ... .

It does if you are a coach who wants your buddies in the room... Like Rex Ryan who hired his very incompetent brother. 

Ya. I don't get it.

To be fair, Butler was a former DC and is highly respected as a DB coach and was reportedly only let go from Houston as part of Bill O'Brien's master plan to be the only coach left in Houston. I don't see this as solely nepotism.

That said, Gil Byrd seemingly did a great job with the secondary this year, so it does seem odd.

Yup. Luckily McDermott has given us every reason to believe in his judgment on these matters, what with the Tolbert and Peterson decisions.

Yeah, he also decided that Dennison would make a good OC and playcaller. I'm gonna miss those runs up the gut by Tolbert on 3rd and long, along with all those behind the line of scrimmage passes to Charles Clay.

Yeah, he also decided that Dennison would make a good OC and playcaller. I'm gonna miss those runs up the gut by Tolbert on 3rd and long, along with all those behind the line of scrimmage passes to Charles Clay.

He didn't want Dennison. Dennison was a last resort. He also decided to fire Dennison after one year, even though we broke a 17 year playoff drought. No other coach/GM on the Bills in the last 20 years would have done that, they would have been content to remain the same with that level of success.

He also decided Tre White and trading down were good options

Edited by Jokertecken

He didn't want Dennison. Dennison was a last resort. He also decided to fire Dennison after one year, even though we broke a 17 year playoff drought. No other coach/GM on the Bills in the last 20 years would have done that, they would have been content to remain the same with that level of success.

He also decided Tre White and trading down were good options

While we all rightfully love Tre White, it remains to be seen whether this was the optimal call. We passed on Lattimore, who looked like Revis in his prime, and we might have to give up considerable assets to move up for a QB who may never be as good as Watson.

He also thought trading up for Zay Jones was a good idea. Injury and all, I hate me some Zay Jones :lol:

While we all rightfully love Tre White, it remains to be seen whether this was the optimal call. We passed on Lattimore, who looked like Revis in his prime, and we might have to give up considerable assets to move up for a QB who may never be as good as Watson.

He also thought trading up for Zay Jones was a good idea. Injury and all, I hate me some Zay Jones :lol:

Look up what every rookie WR drafted before him has done and learn to love him more.