Do you like following the Sabres?

dudacek

My interest is waning lately. I think there are a couple reasons:

- I didn't watch much while I was in Buffalo for the Holidays; too much other stuff to do.

- Shortly after returning home, my PS3 (the primary way I watched) stopped working. I still watch using the Android Client/Cast to TV, but that's a lot clunkier than the PS3 method. I can't start a game at 8:30 from the beginning, can't fast forward easily, etc.

- I'm pretty busy. Even when I did watch a lot, I was working on the couch and paying attention when something happened.

- More time for learning, less for watching hockey (or any other entertainment). I have this feeling my job (in the industry sense, not my position) is slowly fading. (See below). Also, I've been learning Spanish and a few programming languages. I can't learn while the game is on.

For those that don't know, I do a hodgepodge of IT work, primarily Linux servers, with a helping of network engineering, virtualization, and other servery/datacenterish tasks. The automation stuff that's maturing (think Cloud) is moving a lot of that work to scripts. There's been a joke around (a version of which made it into an episode of the Big Bang Theory) that my job could be "reduced to a moderately sized shell script". While that's not entirely true, large portions of what my job likely will be automated. So I need to get in front of that before it's too late. I have a programming background, so I'm trying to learn the automation so I can be the one writing the scripts rather than being replaced by them. It's going fairly well, and I honestly find it really interesting for the architectures that it opens up.

"I don't like you but I love you. Seems that I'm always thinking of you. Oooh, ooh, ooh, you treat me badly, I love you madly. You really got a hold on me."

The Beatles sum it up best for me. Do I like what I've seen from this team for the past 7 years? No. Do I like the current team? Not really, and why should we? This team is so hard-pressed to put together 60 minutes of effort. "Free" time is difficult to come by and too often this season I'll turn a game on during the 2nd period (it's rare I'll be home and able to catch a 7 or 730 start) to see the Sabres look completely outclassed. The product is supposed to be entertainment after all. If I'm not being entertained, what's the point?

That doesn't mean I don't love this team though. In my Sunday beer-league, our team jersey is Yellow with Blue Trim. I have a Sabres patch ironed on a shoulder which I take a lot of for but wear it with pride. Once this team finally becomes competitive again I'll make the time to watch the games, because they will be entertaining and it will be an appropriate use of my time.

I'm not a super-active posted here (only 750ish posts since 2011) but I'm here everyday following every detail of the team. It helps get me through the work day when it's slow or provides a needed break when it's chaotic. So thank you to all the active posters who have provided insight, theories and criticisms over the years.

Feel pretty much the same way as True. I'm on here cause I'm friends with the people on here, not because the team is good or exciting.

Btw, cause I'm nosey, whatcha got going on True? If you don't mind me asking that is

I've basically taken the free time I spent on the Sabres and doled out most of it to political things (reading, discussion, activism all included), with the remainder going to grad school applications for a career change.

Great post, dudacek.

Every game, start to finish. If I have a rehearsal or game of my own, I watch it on delay. Makes for some late nights.

I still look forward to them the day of, as well,... a heckuva lot more than I did during the tank years, anyway.

Same. I watch every game. It may not always be invigorating, but that's what being a fan is about. You take the downs, so the ups are that much more enjoyable. It's like life. The Cup is the goal, but ups come in many forms. The playoff run in 2006 was an amazing time. It makes the downs worth it. There will be more moments like that.

It's a couple hours, a few times a week. I don't need to distance myself from Sabres games to have time to live a full and productive life outside of hockey. I try to not let games that don't go the right way have a lasting negative impact on my mood. I try to remember that it's just hockey, at the end of the day.

I turn the games off at the end. But I always turn them on at the start.

And don't tell me Eichel's next jaw-dropping goal won't be fun. It's not every game, but often enough that we can look forward to the next one every time a spectacular one happens.

Edited by Thorny

I realized something last night: when I used my PS3 to watch games, I had the scores turned off. In the NHL app on my phone, I don't, and I'm far less likely to put on a game late if I know they lost. This has happened with the Dallas, Nashville, and Moerayall game.

It's tough at times... like last thursday vs. dallas.

You get the feeling they are about to take the next step and then it's 2 periods of terrible terrible hockey. Even with a 2 goal lead nothing went to "control mode"

The game started 2:30 am here and when you stay up the night to watch something like that its really really depressing. I do like watching the games but it is really really hard at times and you asking yourself "Why am I doing this" .... but a few days later you are in front of the TV again hoping for better results...

At least you didn't pay to go see the game and spend a whole evening there, your one and only chance to see the team live this year, and watch them lay a turd (like I did).

Lol wtf delete this thread already, if I don't like the sabres I wouldn't Be here. And I lover you guys to I'm going to order another tequila :D

And I have to agree with peppy staying up until 0500 am to watch the game. It gets rough. Certainly the last 3 years. But I do because i like the team, and RJ.

Lol wtf delete this thread already, if I don't like the sabres I wouldn't Be here. And I lover you guys to I'm going to order another tequila :D

And I have to agree with peppy staying up until 0500 am to watch the game. It gets rough. Certainly the last 3 years. But I do because i like the team, and RJ.

The question isn't whether or not you like the Sabres. The question is whether or not you like following them. I can say it's been tough. Coming here and reading every jack holes opinion for the last few years has worn me pretty thin but I trudge through the mire hoping my faith will be paid off.

Lol wtf delete this thread already, if I don't like the sabres I wouldn't Be here. And I lover you guys to I'm going to order another tequila :D And I have to agree with peppy staying up until 0500 am to watch the game. It gets rough. Certainly the last 3 years. But I do because i like the team, and RJ.

The question isn't whether or not you like the Sabres. The question is whether or not you like following them. I can say it's been tough. Coming here and reading every jack holes opinion for the last few years has worn me pretty thin but I trudge through the mire hoping my faith will be paid off.

Try tequila it works but id never work again. Almost didnt make it thru college because of it.

Following them on this board has been more fun than actually watching the team most nights over the last few years. Very few games (like last night) have proven to be the exception not the rule.

I've lived in Mid Michigan almost 1 1/2 years now,  and I suppose I could jump on the Red Wings bandwagon - lots of family and friends are Wings fans,  but I will always be a Sabres' fan.   2nd season of buying Center Ice so I can watch every game if I want to.  Have the DVR set for season-record -so I record all the games -  some I just time shift and scan through for highlights.  

Sometimes incredibly frustrating to BE a Sabres fan but there's occassional awesomeness like last night that keeps me a fan.

If Ville Friggin' Leino couldn't push me away, nothing can!   

I am a glutton for punishment. I must be. Most of us are. The last 10 years has been hard. The only dirt on my Sabres hats is closet dust but I do have a thick skin and usually get past the constant ribbing from friends and relatives about my allegiance to this team by ignoring the obvious that ( they mostly suck ) and keep my mind on the big picture. Is it insanity that leads us here ? We believe that one day they will be good but is there any truth in that statement ? I live in the moment but this team always makes me think of the future. Its probably not healthy. Fans of the successful teams always seem to enjoy the good times now. In the moment. Why not the Sabres ? This team sucked me in at the age of 10 and I haven't been able to shake it. So I have been a follower of the sabres for 42 years now. The good times smooth out the bad times for me but the balance is weighted more to the dark side than the side of light. Hopefully things come around soon because the losing doesn't seem to cause as much discomfort as it used to. That isn't a good sign for myself or the franchise. They shouldn't want to lose fans like me who they've held onto for a lifetime. But yeah, I do like following this damn team.

Been a fan since the fog series. Some good times but lots of heartbreaks over the years.

My loyalty has been tested, but my deeply rooted love rules.

It has also been fun to be "unique", the only Sabres fan anyone knows. I've lived in Leafs land (Ontario) my entire life, although primarily in French communities so the Habs influence was large.

I don't see myself ever changing teams. I have enjoyed cheering for the Avalanche and Blackhawks during their runs due to liking Sakic and Toews.

Like many here, the Tank was tough but hopefully worth it.

Go Sabres.

For me it's actually been harder when the team is good / doing well.  The repeated kicks to the groin that were the Habs series in 93, The ignominious end of the first Teds Nolan era (that team was fun, albeit hot garbage in front of perhaps the greatest single player I've ever watched, singlehandedly winning games), the 98 ECF (I was in the arena for game 6.  I have never heard almost 20,000 people make as little noise as we did when Juneau scored in OT), No Goal, Jay McKee's questionable hygiene in 06, and Ottawa in 07  followed by the nonsense of that summer all did far more emotional harm to me than the Sabres being bad (intentionally or otherwise) ever did. 

As a result, I keep trying to take each game as it comes and forget about the bigger picture.  This team makes that hard right now, but it's supposed to be fun, and occasionally is.  Then I come on here, forgetting that sentence I just typed, and engage in obsessing about things I should know better than to worry about, but I keep putting my hand on that proverbial hot stove. 

Sports fandom is probably a kind of mental illness, one which I am horribly afflicted with.  I'm glad that I've come across a little corner of the long series of tubes where weirdos like me congregate and vent this stuff.  Because none of us, apparently, hate ourselves enough in our everyday lives.  Cheers, everyone. 

I think I come to this team in a very unique way. I became a Sabres fan in the 70's when Hershey was Buffalo's farm team. As an 11 year old I met Don Edwards, and from then on Hershey and by extension Buffalo, were  my teams. Growing up I could watch Buffalo when they played the Phlyers, the Rangers and the Islanders (about half a dozen games a year). I followed through the Hockey news, and the regular news paper. I was the first in my neighborhood with directv and it was just for Sabre games. I had to order my Sabres jerseys from Great Skate, because they weren't sold anywhere around here. No one that I went to school with was a Sabres fan (and my graduating class was 714). The book  "Swashbucklers on the Ice" was my favorite book. 

I am driving the 300 + miles next Sunday just to see the game because my wife couldn't think of anything else to get me for Christmas (sec 109, row 3 a pretty good gift I think). So yeah, I think I like following this team. I always have. My family calls it my obsession. 

Edited by Sabresince70

Yeah i do like following them. I know Its a love hate relationship. It bothers me when they don't appear to be playing well and I agree with many here that DB hockey is not entertaining. He does make it hard to watch. But I can't give up because growing up and being from Buffalo has always been about being an underdog. I always root for them and I guess that is what keeps me coming back here reading all your insights, stats and watching them when I can. I will admit though that has mainly turned into a when it's convenient and they are at least playing well and it's no longer an obsession.

Too many other things that investing my time in has a much better return. Family, friends, work.

Yeah i do like following them. I know Its a love hate relationship. It bothers me when they don't appear to be playing well and I agree with many here that DB hockey is not entertaining. He does make it hard to watch. But I can't give up because growing up and being from Buffalo has always been about being an underdog. I always root for them and I guess that is what keeps me coming back here reading all your insights, stats and watching them when I can. I will admit though that has mainly turned into a when it's convenient and they are at least playing well and it's no longer an obsession.

Too many other things that investing my time in has a much better return. Family, friends, work.

Always love it when you post.

I think I come to this team in a very unique way. I became a Sabres fan in the 70's when Hershey was Buffalo's farm team. As an 11 year old I met Don Edwards, and from then on Hershey and by extension Buffalo, were  my teams. Growing up I could watch Buffalo when they played the Phlyers, the Rangers and the Islanders (about half a dozen games a year). I followed through the Hockey news, and the regular news paper. I was the first in my neighborhood with directv and it was just for Sabre games. I had to order my Sabres jerseys from Great Skate, because they weren't sold anywhere around here. No one that I went to school with was a Sabres fan (and my graduating class was 714). The book  "Swashbucklers on the Ice" was my favorite book. 

I am driving the 300 + miles next Sunday just to see the game because my wife couldn't think of anything else to get me for Christmas (sec 109, row 3 a pretty good gift I think). So yeah, I think I like following this team. I always have. My family calls it my obsession. 

Good man.

Don Edwards was one of my favorite players as a kid.

Always love it when you post.

Me too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.