Lehner is NOT a starter

rickshaw

I think Lehner is a legit NHL #1, but rebound control just continues to be a major issue. The GWG goal tonight was a prime example. He effectively batted the puck -- with his catcher! -- right into the near slot, where a NJD happily jumped on it and popped it in. Just a terrible piece of goaltending.

Well that was interference

But if we lose tonight, people will point their fingers, no matter how many saves he makes.

I think Lehner is a legit NHL #1, but rebound control just continues to be a major issue. The GWG goal tonight was a prime example. He effectively batted the puck -- with his catcher! -- right into the near slot, where a NJD happily jumped on it and popped it in. Just a terrible piece of goaltending.

I was so ready to declare that Lehner had stolen a game for us tonight.  He played well enough to, but when your own team is scoring on you, and they don't call goalie interference, there's not much more you can do.

And also not scoring in the correct goal. Kind of a big issue.

That was a bad rebound. That said, I don't pin this loss on Lehner... should h3 have caught the puck? Yes. Did the Sabres deserve to win? No.

I don't think Lehner is the goalie of the future, but since GMTM is committed to him, we might be able to win with him if and when GMTM fixes the D,  

That said, we got jobbed on the 2nd NJ goal. It's pretty clear that the guy hit Lehner's glove hand just as he was catching the puck.  The goal should have been disallowed.

These are all fair points about Lehner.  It's certainly reasonable to say that he stops most of the pucks coming at him, and with a lousy team supporting him to boot. 

My point was simply that his rebound control seems like a glaring, ongoing flaw in his game, and we saw it again last night on the GWG.  I'm not saying the Sabres need to move on from Lehner because of it -- just that it's something he needs to improve if he wants to ascend to high-end starter status.

The reason he didn't catch that puck was that his arm was hit by the NJ stick.  Clearly goalie interference but they didn't call it.  Hard to blame him for that rebound when the stick and the puck hit his hand at the same time.

The reason he didn't catch that puck was that his arm was hit by the NJ stick.  Clearly goalie interference but they didn't call it.  Hard to blame him for that rebound when the stick and the puck hit his hand at the same time.

Well, I think the replays were pretty inconclusive on that -- the stick was certainly near his arm, but there was no way to be sure whether it actually touched him.  And as someone posted in the GDT, if the stick actually had touched his arm, he most likely would've protested, instead of just sinking to the ice in despair (perhaps at his own tendency to deposit fat rebounds on the doorstep). 

These are all fair points about Lehner.  It's certainly reasonable to say that he stops most of the pucks coming at him, and with a lousy team supporting him to boot. 

My point was simply that his rebound control seems like a glaring, ongoing flaw in his game, and we saw it again last night on the GWG.  I'm not saying the Sabres need to move on from Lehner because of it -- just that it's something he needs to improve if he wants to ascend to high-end starter status.

I think this is a solid assessment. 

Well, I think the replays were pretty inconclusive on that -- the stick was certainly near his arm, but there was no way to be sure whether it actually touched him.  And as someone posted in the GDT, if the stick actually had touched his arm, he most likely would've protested, instead of just sinking to the ice in despair (perhaps at his own tendency to deposit fat rebounds on the doorstep). 

Lehner said in the post game that his glove was touched but he thought it still was a good goal.

I really wouldn't call that a rebound control issue on that goal, but whatever.

I might be crazy, but I have a different take in Lehner right now and I almost don't want to say it for fear of letting the cat out of the bag. I think his rebound controll has been pretty good lately, well, maybe I should say it's been different, lately. He doesn't even look like he wants to soak up pucks like Miller did so well. He's more directing shots to locations. I wonder if he is getting ready for when the goalie eqipment changes and it will be harder to soak up shots because the pads are harder and the jerseys are tighter.

Just a thought.

Edited by SwampD

I really wouldn't call that a rebound control issue on that goal, but whatever.

I might be crazy, but I have a different take in Lehner right now and I almost don't want to say it for fear of letting the cat out of the bag. I think his rebound controll has been pretty good lately, well, maybe I should say it's been different, lately. He doesn't even look like he wants to soak up pucks like Miller did so well. He's more directing shots to locations. I wonder if he is getting ready for when the goalie eqipment changes and it will be harder to soak up shots because the pads are harder and the jerseys are tighter.

Just a thought.

I saw him do this in the third last night. NJ was pressing, and they took a shot right in the crest, and instead of slumping down and covering it in his stomach, he stayed tall, let it hit and fell down, and he smacked it into the corner. It's like EA Sports NHL. I wasn't a fan of it in that situation because we were having a lot of trouble getting the puck out but generally I'm one of the guys who loves when a goalie keeps the puck in play.

Sabres stats on Twitter just put this out there (in re Sabres goalies both being top 10 SV% at present):

"Per Elias, the last time 2 Sabres goalies finished the season in the top 10 was in 1992-93 (Dominik Hasek-7th, .896 & Grant Fuhr-9th, .893)."

Look at those SV%'s!

Sabres stats on Twitter just put this out there (in re Sabres goalies both being top 10 SV% at present):

"Per Elias, the last time 2 Sabres goalies finished the season in the top 10 was in 1992-93 (Dominik Hasek-7th, .896 & Grant Fuhr-9th, .893)."

Look at those SV%'s!

#smallerpads

Look at those SV%'s!

Back when the NHL valued goals instead of defensive battles...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.