Lehner is NOT a starter

rickshaw

Dubnyk?

Wasn't he considered a complete and utter bust when he was Lehner's age?

You mean Dubnyk of the Minnesota Dubnyk's? The same Dubnyk who wasn't putting up those numbers until a world class in their prime defense was put in front him Dubnyk?

Defense matters, and Minnesota had one hell of a defense.

Buffalo, not so much. And until that changes, I expect we'll see inconsistency in the end result for Lehner as well.

We've been down the ride the goalie strategy before, it didn't work then, it won't work now. We need defense desperately.

Trade Kulikov 4.33 aav, UFA, Lehner 2.23, RFA, Gorges 3.90 AAV (50% retained), 1 yr, Minnesota 2nd, Washington 3rd to Pittsburg for Maatta 4.083,333 aav, 5 yrs, Fluery 5.75 aav, 2 yrs and Pittsburg 1st.

Keep Fluery exposed at expansion draft, protect Ullmark. We give them a fresh start at controlling net minder cost with a decent starter, and a defensive top 4 with a depth defender for both this seasons playoff run.

We have the room to incur the 1.49 mil in added aav.

I know Lehner won't be moved, but this deal looks close in value given the UFA status, depth positioning, Pittsburg cup run scenario and Expansion draft situation. That Pittsburg 1st could be used in another deal or pick it l.

AMD if you notice, Kane is not involved....and this type of deal puts Ullmark in the spot light.

Wouldn't we have to protect Fleury?

Trade Kulikov 4.33 aav, UFA, Lehner 2.23, RFA, Gorges 3.90 AAV (50% retained), 1 yr, Minnesota 2nd, Washington 3rd to Pittsburg for Maatta 4.083,333 aav, 5 yrs, Fluery 5.75 aav, 2 yrs and Pittsburg 1st.

Keep Fluery exposed at expansion draft, protect Ullmark. We give them a fresh start at controlling net minder cost with a decent starter, and a defensive top 4 with a depth defender for both this seasons playoff run.

We have the room to incur the 1.49 mil in added aav.

I know Lehner won't be moved, but this deal looks close in value given the UFA status, depth positioning, Pittsburg cup run scenario and Expansion draft situation. That Pittsburg 1st could be used in another deal or pick it l.

AMD if you notice, Kane is not involved....and this type of deal puts Ullmark in the spot light.

Almost positive Fleury has a NMC. If so, how do you propose getting him to waive it to come to leave a team w/ Crosby & Malkin & come to one on the outside looking in?

Dubnyk?

Wasn't he considered a complete and utter bust when he was Lehner's age?

That's putting it mildly. Though he'd been looked at as a top prospect prior to entering the NHL, he was pretty much Adam Vinz when w/ the Eulers.

Almost positive Fleury has a NMC. If so, how do you propose getting him to waive it to come to leave a team w/ Crosby & Malkin & come to one on the outside looking in?

That's putting it mildly. Though he'd been looked at as a top prospect prior to entering the NHL, he was pretty much Adam Vinz when w/ the Eulers.

Unless Fleury is coming here for next to nothing, I don't want him.  He's completely acrid and ultimately average.  We're better off with our netminder. 

Fluery has a modified NTC/ NMC where he will list 18 teams to be traded to.

Maybe Lehner is actually just coming into his own, the way a lot of goalies do at his age.

I don't know, just a thought.

I think you are right.

Fluery has a modified NTC/ NMC where he will list 18 teams to be traded to.

What is the over / under that the Sabres would be on that list of 18?

Why?

Ullmark is doing just fine.

The reason the Penguins would consider trading Fleury is they have to protect him, which leaves Murray exposed.

Which also means that they would want to leave Lehner exposed.

And if they are going to expose Lehner, why wouldn't they rather have Ullmark, who has a way smaller cap hit and is a much better fit with Murray? And much less likely to be taken in expansion than Lehner, who would be grabbed almost certainly.

I know I'd rather have Lehner as my number one starting next year than Ullmark, or Fleury, from Buffalos end of things.

Edited by dudacek

The reason the Penguins would consider trading Fleury is they have to protect him, which leaves Murray exposed.

And if they are going to expose Lehner, why wouldn't they rather have Ullmark, who has a way smaller cap hit and is a much better fit with Murray? And much less likely to be taken in expansion than Lehner, who would be grabbed almost certainly.

I know I'd rather have Lehner as my number one starting next year than Ullmark, or Fleury, from Buffalos end of things.

Well said duda, unless we're acquiring Braden Holtby, I don't want to move anything on the roster for a netminder. When Lehner has been plenty better than above average this season.  

These are valid questions. I would surmise based only on what I am hearing from some penguins fans they aren't sold on Murray.

They did express great interest in Lehner though.

And Fluery does not need to he protected, its a modified NTC / NMC. Under the ED rules you don't have to protect modified contracts.

Edited by Lucky E

These are valid questions. I would surmise based only on what I am hearing from some penguins fans they aren't sold on Murray.

Bleh, Sabres fans who want to trade Lehner for Fleury...I don't get you.  His pedigree is overvalued and overrated.

Bleh, Sabres fans who want to trade Lehner for Fleury...I don't get you.  His pedigree is overvalued and overrated.

Understand, I am not advocating keeping Fluery, and as I pointed out earlier, those of you expecting to ride a goalie strategy for success, it's been tried here in Buffalo, more than once, unsuccessfully. I'm just looking at defense and an asset allocation.

The few Pens fans I know are very sold on Murray. And I think they should be. He won them a cup and is playing well above average this year on a number of metrics (the chart I posted above included). I'd argue he's a top 10 goalie in the entire league and he's Calder eligible. That's pretty nuts. Cost-controlled for at least the next 3 years too.

I'm sure some team will bail them out and take Flower off their hands, probably even overpay despite Pittsburgh being stuck.

My two cents, he stole two points against us lsat night but I wouldn't take him especially at what he makes. Bishop in free agency for 3 or 4 years is a different queston.

You guys should be happy to have Lehner as a goalie. He is young and has a great sv% and gives a shite...our young goalie with the pedigree likes to let in easy ones a minute or two into the game to make things interesting...not sold on Hellebuyck yet.

.01 in save percentage away from being tied for 2nd in the NHL...I'd say that is starter material wouldn't you??

Bleh, Sabres fans who want to trade Lehner for Fleury...I don't get you. His pedigree is overvalued and overrated.

Are they crazy??? Terrible save percentage and got benched during last year's playoffs combined with a bloated contract...

HELL NO!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.