Lehner is NOT a starter

rickshaw

And smaller goalies too?

Heard an interesting quote from Lehner on the radio the other night. He favors smaller pads, but didn't go as far as to say he wants everything made smaller. He specified pants and chest arms as the things he'd like reduced, but I don't think he'd favor the gloves and leg pads being shrunk too much.

Sabres stats on Twitter just put this out there (in re Sabres goalies both being top 10 SV% at present):

"Per Elias, the last time 2 Sabres goalies finished the season in the top 10 was in 1992-93 (Dominik Hasek-7th, .896 & Grant Fuhr-9th, .893)."

Look at those SV%'s!

Wow!  I wonder, if SabreSpace had existed, whether we would have questioned if Hasek would be fine??? B-)

Is it me or does Lehner almost look like he's trying to leave rebounds. It looks like his only focus on each shot is stopping it, he gives zero where the rebound goes.

Reading about his early years as a goalie I saw that his dad used to just rip shot after shot at him as a kid to toughen him up and sharpen his reflexes. I wonder if that is contributing to the rebound control nowadays.

He was solely focused on stopping the pucks and squaring up to the next one coming right behind it again and again, not controlling the rebound.

Is it me or does Lehner almost look like he's trying to leave rebounds. It looks like his only focus on each shot is stopping it, he gives zero where the rebound goes.

Reading about his early years as a goalie I saw that his dad used to just rip shot after shot at him as a kid to toughen him up and sharpen his reflexes. I wonder if that is contributing to the rebound control nowadays.

He was solely focused on stopping the pucks and squaring up to the next one coming right behind it again and again, not controlling the rebound.

It almost looks like he's attacking the puck when it's shot at him.    Instead of letting the puck come to him and absorbing it, he's kicking or punching at it.   Like that shot that bounced out of his glove in NJ... he was slapping his glove at the puck.    Most goalies would let the puck hit their glove and catch it, instead he slaps his glove towards the puck.. which is bad technique if you're trying to prevent rebounds.   You'd think that would correctable, but I haven't noticed an improvement throughout the season.

I'm pretty sure every goalie has had somebody take shot after shot against them. I doubt it's contributed to his style of play 10-15 years later.

I like Lehner, I feel long term he can be the guy when it's playoff time.

I also thought Nilsson was playing like a guy who wanted to start and deserved more games a couple weeks ago although lately he's been a little more unstable at times as he has been in his career so far so i've cooled on that.

I just wonder if while we sit here and debate rebound control if he is practicing it, just in his own style. More so expecting his team to remove the puck after he has made the save? It looks that way to me sometimes.

I like Lehner, I feel long term he can be the guy when it's playoff time.

I also thought Nilsson was playing like a guy who wanted to start and deserved more games a couple weeks ago although lately he's been a little more unstable at times as he has been in his career so far so i've cooled on that.

I just wonder if while we sit here and debate rebound control if he is practicing it, just in his own style. More so expecting his team to remove the puck after he has made the save? It looks that way to me sometimes.

Me too, I supporter giving Nilsson more playing time because the team just happened to win more often with him in net. At the time. But the wins are starting to pile up now for Lehner. 

Good point on the rebounds, an pi mentioned it too; his aggressive rebound control. I almost think that's planned because often times it seems like the puck is kicked out far enough for the Sabres to make a quick exit out of the zone. I've seen numerous times where the Sabres turned those into odd man rushes because they were able to turn the puck around quickly. Giving up rebounds is bad if you've giving them up right in front of the crease. But if you're kicking them out 10-15 feet it creates the opportunity to take it down for a scoring opportunity. Even if the defense doesn't pick it up, it gives Lehner time to set himself back up in the net. 

Like that shot that bounced out of his glove in NJ... he was slapping his glove at the puck.    Most goalies would let the puck hit their glove and catch it, instead he slaps his glove towards the puck.. which is bad technique if you're trying to prevent rebounds.   You'd think that would correctable, but I haven't noticed an improvement throughout the season.

I heard Marty Biron (on the radio) talking about this very thing a while back. Per Biron, goalies from North America are generally better than Euro goalies at catching pucks like a baseball player would (because most of them grew up playing some baseball - even if only on a rec basis). Biron said that many Euro goalies have odd habits and techniques when it comes to stopping pucks with their glove hand. He said this became most apparent to him when he backed up Henrik in NY.

Me too, I supporter giving Nilsson more playing time because the team just happened to win more often with him in net. At the time. But the wins are starting to pile up now for Lehner. 

Good point on the rebounds, an pi mentioned it too; his aggressive rebound control. I almost think that's planned because often times it seems like the puck is kicked out far enough for the Sabres to make a quick exit out of the zone. I've seen numerous times where the Sabres turned those into odd man rushes because they were able to turn the puck around quickly. Giving up rebounds is bad if you've giving them up right in front of the crease. But if you're kicking them out 10-15 feet it creates the opportunity to take it down for a scoring opportunity. Even if the defense doesn't pick it up, it gives Lehner time to set himself back up in the net. 

Can't agree with this, unless you meant 10-15 feet off to one side or another.  10-15 feet into the slot is a terrible spot to deposit rebounds.

I agree. We talked a little about this yesterday. http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24659-lehner-is-not-a-starter/?p=912625

I've been watching CBC for three hours now, and all they talk about is his lack of rebound control.  It's a known thing.  He needs to fix it this coming summer if he wants to be an NHL starter.

They obviously didn't watch this game, cuz he soaked up everything.

Umm, no, especially in the second.

But he was better than usual.

Look, I'll continue to give the guy a chance, but the rebound ###### needs to stop.

Um, yes. Watch the third. He looked like Miller out there. Don't let TV analysts tell you what you are seeing. He soaked up a lot and only gave up one effing goal.

Well, that'll put him in the top 5 in save percentage. 

Trade him while his value is high! 

Package him with Kane. Anybody else doing really well that needs to be moved?  :D

What exactly does he have to do to get support from Sabres fans?

But I want picks that will turn into good players in 4 to 6 years!

The Future!!!!!

Um, yes. Watch the third. He looked like Miller out there. Don't let TV analysts tell you what you are seeing. He soaked up a lot and only gave up one effing goal.

I had this exact same thought halfway through the third. He was controlling the pace. Somehow he was dictating the game in the defensive zone with his mind. I haven't felt like that since Miller left. 

And he was a sponge. Which lends credence to the theory that he can control rebounds, he just likes to keep the puck in play. 

I had this exact same thought halfway through the third. He was controlling the pace. Somehow he was dictating the game in the defensive zone with his mind. I haven't felt like that since Miller left. 

And he was a sponge. Which lends credence to the theory that he can control rebounds, he just likes to keep the puck in play. 

Then he needs to fix that.

Agreed he was better in the third on rebounds, btw, swamp.  It was the second I didn't like.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.