Lehner is NOT a starter

rickshaw

If so, I'm going to politely ask for somebody going to the Sabrespace meetup to shoot me in the face.

I was thinking more about the contract. He's an RFA with two more years of team control. Does Murray do the sensible thing and bridge him at low cost, or does he go all in?

Bridge contract, probably two years to get him to UFA. He hasn't warranted a long term deal. Plus a long term deal will increase the chance of Cal Peterson going to Free Agency in June if he chooses.

I was thinking more about the contract. He's an RFA with two more years of team control. Does Murray do the sensible thing and bridge him at low cost, or does he go all in?

Interesting. I sure don't want a long term deal for him. He did give both Zemgus and Larsson one-year "prove it" deals.

What we need is a goalie that can win a game for us when we cant score more than 2 goals, lehner is mr.rebound, and it just is what it is.

Im hoping for Linus Ullmark will be what we need in the future, Nilsson also creates a more calm enviroment for the defence.

You won't like what I have to say, but I don't have more faith in Linus than in Robin, right now Robin is our best bet and I hope he'll turn into our Nightwing.

You won't like what I have to say, but I don't have more faith in Linus than in Robin, right now Robin is our best bet and I hope he'll turn into our Nightwing.

True. I dont :P hehe, i just dont believe robin has what it takes, he is just way to unsecure, he is not confident, and you could see it so well when they turned the game around vs preds, how he thanks the team for winning the game he up.

What are the odds we actually lose Cal Peterson? If we did I feel like it'd be a huge loss

We can sign him to a 2 year deal this spring and let him play in the NHL this season (burning his first year). No one else can offer him that. It's a good deal for him and really all I'd want to know if I was Peterson and his agent is if the Sabres are going to make a commitment to Lehner. If they are, it might make more sense to wait for FA. If not, and if the Sabres are willing to lean in on what it takes to sign him, we should be OK.

I really like everything I know about him so I'm hoping we sign him. I'm still not convinced Lehner is the guy who gets us a Cup.

We can sign him to a 2 year deal this spring and let him play in the NHL this season (burning his first year). No one else can offer him that. It's a good deal for him and really all I'd want to know if I was Peterson and his agent is if the Sabres are going to make a commitment to Lehner. If they are, it might make more sense to wait for FA. If not, and if the Sabres are willing to lean in on what it takes to sign him, we should be OK.

I really like everything I know about him so I'm hoping we sign him. I'm still not convinced Lehner is the guy who gets us a Cup.

Petersen is a junior so he can return to ND next year he doesn't have to do anything this year and can see how the cards flop.

What are the odds we actually lose Cal Peterson? If we did I feel like it'd be a huge loss

right now I say 70/30 he signs with us. But it may not be this spring. The Lehner deal will have an impact. He is not NHL ready. NCAA shooters are not as good and the game and reads are faster. He needs some AHL time to acclimate. He also needs more stamina as the grind isn't as tough in college.

Good post, thanks

I agree on Lehner 100%. I don't believe in him. I don't like the reliance on a big goalie who doesn't really play the position IMO so much as take up the most amount of space due to his size. Peterson looks like an actual goalie

Stats for goalies can be misleading at times, but take a look at what's going on across the NHL.  Lehner's numbers aren't far behind many of the better teams goalies.  Not going to compare to Dubnyk, Holtby and Bobrovsky.   

Corey Crawford - 2.57 - .917

Jake Allen - 2.81 - .897

Ben Bishop - 2.83 - .904

Frederik Anderson - 2.67 - .917

Mike Condon - 2.48 - .914

These are just a few examples.  Lehner's save percentage is on par, in some cases better, w/ goalies on contending teams.  If Lehner had a better defense in front of him, I know a weakness driven into the ground here in Sabre Space, and better puck possession in the opposing teams end, his goals against would be lower.  In which case the large amount of criticism for Lehner is practically gone.  I'm still a supporter of the guy.  

Lehner's numbers going into tonight.

2.62 - .920

Only in Buffalo, where the fans relentlessly bitch about how bad the defense is, can the team have TWO goaltenders in the top 14 in save percentage and be FOURTH in overall save percentage, complain about the starting goaltender. Yet when Miller hovered round 20th for three straight years, he was a god. 

It shouldn't surprise me, it's the same people that want the 2nd best scorer traded all while complaining about the team not scoring enough. 

Only in Buffalo, where the fans relentlessly bitch about how bad the defense is, can the team have TWO goaltenders in the top 14 in save percentage and be FOURTH in overall save percentage, complain about the starting goaltender. Yet when Miller hovered round 20th for three straight years, he was a god.

It shouldn't surprise me, it's the same people that want the 2nd best scorer traded all while complaining about the team not scoring enough.

Miller

Stats for goalies can be misleading at times, but take a look at what's going on across the NHL.  Lehner's numbers aren't far behind many of the better teams goalies.  Not going to compare to Dubnyk, Holtby and Bobrovsky.   

Corey Crawford - 2.57 - .917

Jake Allen - 2.81 - .897

Ben Bishop - 2.83 - .904

Frederik Anderson - 2.67 - .917

Mike Condon - 2.48 - .914

These are just a few examples.  Lehner's save percentage is on par, in some cases better, w/ goalies on contending teams.  If Lehner had a better defense in front of him, I know a weakness driven into the ground here in Sabre Space, and better puck possession in the opposing teams end, his goals against would be lower.  In which case the large amount of criticism for Lehner is practically gone.  I'm still a supporter of the guy.  

Lehner's numbers going into tonight.

2.62 - .920

I'm not saying you're wrong or that I totally disagree with you.  However I think it's possible Lehner with a better defense and puck possession could see his save percentage get worse - solely because of the type of goals he lets in.  I think because of how many shots he takes, his numbers are somewhat better than on ice performance. 

Petersen is a junior so he can return to ND next year he doesn't have to do anything this year and can see how the cards flop.

right now I say 70/30 he signs with us. But it may not be this spring. The Lehner deal will have an impact. He is not NHL ready. NCAA shooters are not as good and the game and reads are faster. He needs some AHL time to acclimate. He also needs more stamina as the grind isn't as tough in college.

I certainly agree with the grind portion of your post but I'd argue that there's much better shots available in the NCAA because the defense is much much less intense.   Therefore specifically for goaltenders I think it's a different kind of evaluation.  The closeness the offense gets to the goal and the passing around the goal is much harder to work for in the NHL.  But as you say, the speed of how things happen in the NHL is a major consideration.

So are the opportunities that come much more rarely in the NHL vs the speed of the NHL is what makes it difficult to know how a goaltenders game will translate.

Budaj got his 7th shutout of the season today.

Lehner has 4... in his career.

Just sayin.

That's what happens when one team is 30th in shots against, and the other is 1st. 

Yet they both have the same save percentage.

Just sayin'...............  ;)

That's what happens when one team is 30th in shots against, and the other is 1st.

Yet they both have the same save percentage.

Just sayin'............... ;)

We'd be raking GMTM over the coals if he gave up a first for Budaj.

Just sayin'...

This isn't about the first round pick, this is about Lehner. If you told any GM in the league you could have a top 10 save percentage starter, a top 3 overall save percentage with two goalies that you can rely on........ all for $3,000,000+ cap hit TOTAL........... I'd bet there would be 29 GM's jumping at the opportunity. Including Columbus, Minnesota and Washington because that would mean they have $3-5,000,000 more in cap space available to improve the rest of their team. It would also mean those three teams would have a competent backup heading into the playoffs. Because at this point if either of their starters gets hurt..... they're done. 

I'm having serious difficulty figuring out how any one person can complain about out goaltending situation. It baffles my mind. Of all the things wrong with this team, this should be #1,742 on the list. The Sabres can't be in a better situation with their goaltending. It's been a long time since Sabres fans have been in a situation to have to worry about goaltending. Many don't realize how good we actually have it. 

This isn't about the first round pick, this is about Lehner. If you told any GM in the league you could have a top 10 save percentage starter, a top 3 overall save percentage with two goalies that you can rely on........ all for $3,000,000+ cap hit TOTAL........... I'd bet there would be 29 GM's jumping at the opportunity. Including Columbus, Minnesota and Washington because that would mean they have $3-5,000,000 more in cap space available to improve the rest of their team. It would also mean those three teams would have a competent backup heading into the playoffs. Because at this point if either of their starters gets hurt..... they're done.

I'm having serious difficulty figuring out how any one person can complain about out goaltending situation. It baffles my mind. Of all the things wrong with this team, this should be #1,742 on the list. The Sabres can't be in a better situation with their goaltending. It's been a long time since Sabres fans have been in a situation to have to worry about goaltending. Many don't realize how good we actually have it.

shootouts and b-ways tho

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.