The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

The older I get the more I feel like I'm going to end up being one of those people who never has a career, but instead ends up doing something different every 5-10 years until, by the time I'm 70, I've earned the distinction of being "eccentric".

The older I get the more I feel like I'm going to end up being one of those people who never has a career, but instead ends up doing something different every 5-10 years until, by the time I'm 70, I've earned the distinction of being "eccentric".

Meh. You’re looking at it from inside of the box. Crawl on out and look at it where the rest of us “eccentrics” are and give it another look.

I consider you lucky, then.

I have to admit, I always have to hold back an eye-roll whenever I hear someone talking about "Their career." I find myself thinking, "It's just a job, dude. Get over yourself."

Meh. You’re looking at it from inside of the box. Crawl on out and look at it where the rest of us “eccentrics” are and give it another look.

Amen.

:w00t:  :wacko:  :lol:

But seriously, though... WHY DO THEY DO THIS???

I've done a lot of dumb things in my life, but this seems so fantastically stupid that I can't even rationalize it.  :D

(that first guy is nicknamed "Iron Crotch"... I borrowed it for my new screen name. Got sick of Potato)

I consider you lucky, then.

I have to admit, I always have to hold back an eye-roll whenever I hear someone talking about "Their career." I find myself thinking, "It's just a job, dude. Get over yourself."

Amen.

Yeah I think we're conditioned to think "if you're not satisfied at your job you're in the wrong career".

Back when I was a kid I read a great little story (it was in the Junior Great Books course I think, though I cannot find it right now). It was about a journeyman who yearned to be a master craftsman. He tried to be a glasswright, and found his skill lacking. Similarly, a carpenter, a blacksmith, a painter, etc. He would learn the basics but find himself either unable or unsatisfied to continue to the next level of craftsman. 

Eventually after many poor fits and many years of trying, disheartened, he moved towns (this is medieval-ish era) for he was so ashamed and saddened he hadn't found his niche.

Then, the people of his new village needed a window to replace the broken one in their church. He could fix it with his basic glasswright knowledge. A new frame for a house- he had the knowledge to instruct the younger men to build it. On and on, you get the idea- he became an important member of his new village- absolutely revered by the townspeople for his wide base of knowledge. And he realized that though he wasn't a master craftsman, as a serial journeyman he'd found his purpose and reflected on how he'd thrown away years of happiness striving for this great 'other' that didn't really exist.

I think about that story a LOT. Always related to it- though I'm fully an artist, I was pulled in many directions and still am. 

So I guess one of the morals is... do what you can when you can, learn and enjoy what you are able to, because the culmination of that knowledge may put you in a place where you find happiness someday. 

Yeah I think we're conditioned to think "if you're not satisfied at your job you're in the wrong career".

My last job absolutely sucked.  It had me questioning my choice of careers on a daily basis.  Fortunately I've been gone from there for just about 4 years now.  It was definitely not the career, it was the company.  I should look them up and see if they even exist anymore.  The ship was sinking while I was there.

Also it could be an okay company, but doing the wrong thing there.

I was a great fit for my current job 5 years ago.  The department has grown though and I'm getting tired of the bureaucracy.  It's less about getting the job done and more about the paperwork to show you're getting the job done, if you know what I mean.  It's a necessary evil I suppose but I don't like it.

I'm starting to look around for another position in the company.  Time for a change of scenery.

Back when I was a kid I read a great little story (it was in the Junior Great Books course I think, though I cannot find it right now). It was about a journeyman who yearned to be a master craftsman. He tried to be a glasswright, and found his skill lacking. Similarly, a carpenter, a blacksmith, a painter, etc. He would learn the basics but find himself either unable or unsatisfied to continue to the next level of craftsman. 

Eventually after many poor fits and many years of trying, disheartened, he moved towns (this is medieval-ish era) for he was so ashamed and saddened he hadn't found his niche.

Then, the people of his new village needed a window to replace the broken one in their church. He could fix it with his basic glasswright knowledge. A new frame for a house- he had the knowledge to instruct the younger men to build it. On and on, you get the idea- he became an important member of his new village- absolutely revered by the townspeople for his wide base of knowledge. And he realized that though he wasn't a master craftsman, as a serial journeyman he'd found his purpose and reflected on how he'd thrown away years of happiness striving for this great 'other' that didn't really exist.

I think about that story a LOT. Always related to it- though I'm fully an artist, I was pulled in many directions and still am. 

So I guess one of the morals is... do what you can when you can, learn and enjoy what you are able to, because the culmination of that knowledge may put you in a place where you find happiness someday. 

Definitely identify with this too. My dad is this way with his job. He's held like 4 positions at his current company, and while they're all related they're all a little different. So if somebody from department X leaves, even though he's in department Y now he can pick up the slack. It was partially a practical thing for him too. If there are layoffs or something at his company (and they've had several rounds of them since he's been there), him being able to be flexible in his work makes him more valuable, even if someone else is stronger in one area. I've tried to model my "career" after his in that way.

Our HR Manager is a workplace bully. Everytime I try to have a discussion with her I get anger, spite and belittling language. There is no recourse as her superiors aren't in the building and nobody really wants to with HR as they literally control your fate.

Our beauty failed it's MVI at a second mechanic this morning.  It's going back in next Wednesday for more diagnostics.  These guys think that it's not that big a deal.  We are hopeful.

And 1, or 2, more sleeps.  I have a feeling there will be no moon sighted this evening, so my heart is telling me 2 more sleeps.

Being good at a lot of things can be a blessing.  I have had a similar path during my adult life.  I spent 12.5 years in the Air Force, doing something different every 3ish years has been great and challenging as well.  I have a lot of experience in different discplines in my career field, the only problem is that I am not really an expert in anyone of them.  After I was medically discharged from Active Duty I continued to work for the Air Force as a contractor and have had two different jobs in the last two years and this summer I am starting yet another different job, but, this time I will be a permanent Air Force civilian employee not having to worry about receiving a new contract evey year.  Excited and nervouse because I don't have a lot of experience in the job I will be taking, but, i had just enough to actaully get selected.

Our HR Manager is a workplace bully. Everytime I try to have a discussion with her I get anger, spite and belittling language. There is no recourse as her superiors aren't in the building and nobody really wants to ###### with HR as they literally control your fate.

give her a stink-palm the next time you see her

Islamic day are the same as Jewish days ... they all start at sunset and we use a lunar calendar.  The months start with a new moon, same as Jewish months.  An Islamic year is 11 days shorter than the solar year.

Why do religious calendars use moons and we do not? Is the cycle of moons not aligned with the solar year? Why? Which is more accurate?

A lunar month is roughly 29 1/2 days which comes to 354 days for 12 months, thus the 11 leftover days NS mentioned.  Lunar months do not line up evenly/exactly with the solstices of summer and winter, or the equinoxes of spring and fall.  A complete cycle of the seasons is about 365 1/4 days (the 1/4 is why there is a leap year every fourth year).

The calendar we use lines up better with the equinoxes/solstices, but because of the fractional day it still doesn't line up exactly.

The interplay between the spring equinox and the lunar cycle is why the date for Easter can vary widely from year to year.

Just wait until he tells you that it's actually some dude name Ramadan who walks up the mountain and drops his pants.

That was only for the first Ramadan.  That's how it all started.

:w00t:

Why do religious calendars use moons and we do not? Is the cycle of moons not aligned with the solar year? Why? Which is more accurate?

The Christian calendar is the one that everyone uses in day to day life, even Muslims and Jews.  The Christians adopted the Julian calendar, except the Eastern Orthodox Christians, or do I have that mixed up?

The Christian calendar is the one that everyone uses in day to day life, even Muslims and Jews.  The Christians adopted the Julian calendar, except the Eastern Orthodox Christians, or do I have that mixed up?

Not sure about the question.

I'll note that Easter moves around based on lunar happenings. For the life of me, I can never keep in mind what precisely that is.

Something about how Easter Sunday is set on the first Sunday following the first full moon of spring. I think that's close.

The Christians adopted the Julian calendar.  Then the western church adopted the Gregorian calendar which is the commonly used calendar, while the eastern church stayed with the Julian, I believe.  One result is that Easter is generally off by a week.