The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Why do religious calendars use moons and we do not? Is the cycle of moons not aligned with the solar year? Why? Which is more accurate?

Generally speaking, I think it goes back to the Jewish calendar, which predates solar calendars and the Religions that grew out of Judiasm, Christianity and Islam[0], kept some of the lunar calendar structure. It's easier to count lunar months than solar years for early civilizations. The Mayan calendar is decidedly non-Lunar, though, but they were accomplished astronomers.

It was a bit of an eye-opener when I was in Thailand, as they use a solar calendar using the same days as the Gregorian Calendar, but they use the Buddhist Era as a start point so it's 2561 there. First time I encountered non-CE years.

[0] I hope I'm not offending anyone here, but those three are closely related

It's saying yanny

Oh god it's infected all of you, too. 

For whatever it's worth, I hear both Laurel and Yanny at the same time, like two people are speaking simultaneously.

I have been told by my coworkers that I am nuts. 

Oh god it's infected all of you, too. 

For whatever it's worth, I hear both Laurel and Yanny at the same time, like two people are speaking simultaneously.

I have been told by my coworkers that I am nuts. 

No, you're correct. It's both. It just depends on how the device you're using is processing the signal. A device that is set to process bass better is going to reveal one, a device that processes highs better is going to hear the other. 

What does it mean that I hear Yuri or Yarri?

Wait.. so this is device-dependent? Everyone listening to the same speaker will hear the same thing? It's not a right brain/left brain, male/female, had nitrites for breakfast/didn't type deal? If so, it's not nearly as interesting.

What does it mean that I hear Yuri or Yarri?

Wait.. so this is device-dependent? Everyone listening to the same speaker will hear the same thing? It's not a right brain/left brain, male/female, had nitrites for breakfast/didn't type deal? If so, it's not nearly as interesting.

Correct. It's not interesting at all. It's just a trick.

No, you're correct. It's both. It just depends on how the device you're using is processing the signal. A device that is set to process bass better is going to reveal one, a device that processes highs better is going to hear the other. 

The trick is when two people listen to it on the same device and hear something different. Noticed it's usually a man vs a woman hearing different things... I feel like I read somewhere that women pick up higher frequencies than men, men lower frequencies than women.

Or it could all just be a load of and I wasted precious moments of my life typing about this on the internet.

The trick is when two people listen to it on the same device and hear something different. Noticed it's usually a man vs a woman hearing different things... I feel like I read somewhere that women pick up higher frequencies than men, men lower frequencies than women.

Or it could all just be a load of ###### and I wasted precious moments of my life typing about this on the internet.

This is probably also true.

I suspect the device has the most important role to play though. 

So, it would not be Ramadan without significant controversy.

There was not a new moon sighting in Arabia (Saudi), so they made an announcement as such around 1:00 PM Halifax time.  Many countries said ... OK.

Not long after that Turkey's Islamic Council (or whatever it's called) accepted a credible moon sighting by a credible moon observer ... most counties have designated moon observers.  Turkey declared Ramadan 1 to be today (16th) and many countries in Europe and the US accepted this ... there are 14 countries around the world that are on Ramadan 1 today ... not Canada.

The mosques in Halifax discussed what to do.  With the Global Sighting Method to determine the start of months the whole world is supposed to accept a credible and accepted sighting in any country.  So, we were supposed to follow the lead of Turkey, as some did.  No one really likes to go against Arabia (Saudi), but we are supposed to and they really should have changed their ruling.  There was time.  The fast starts at dawn, so there were several hours.

The mosque where I most often attend Friday Prayers in the Halifax neighbourhood of Fairview wanted to follow Turkey in what would have been the most awesome FU moment ever, which I would have loved.  The Imam who is very nice and really wants to grow our community and does not want controversy in the end decided not to start Ramadan today.

So, tomorrow is officially Ramadan 1 in Halifax, which starts at sunset today ... Islamic days start and end at sunset.  My wife and I started our Ramadan yesterday, as in conversation with the Imam's wife it was almost 100% that Ramadan would start yesterday at sunset.  We don't often pray together due to scheduling, but during Ramadan we make every effort to pray the sunset prayer together and then have our Iftar (breaking the fast).  We prayed the sunset prayer together yesterday and it was awesome.  We were not fasting, so no Iftar.

Tomorrow is the first fasting day and I will start out this Ramadan as I have all the others before it by fasting from non-essential Internet usage.

A good friend, who is familiar with the stressful situation that my wife and I are facing, suggested that to gain support from my friends in the Sabespace community I should rethink that fast.  I do trust this friends advice on anything, especially something like this, as he has been there.  So, I will do that and if I do need to vent and gain some support from you guys I will stop by from time to time and make up those fasting days as prescribed in the Qur'an.  If I do not show up then it is most likely that everything is going, at least, OK.

I am not sure how active I will be today, as I am already in prime Ramadan focus.

Much Love,

NS

This. It's both.

Depending on which frequencies I hone in on, I can hear both.

Whole Foods is giving Amazon Prime members a 10% discount on sale items. So now if you have a Prime membership you can go to Whole Foods and pay 75% more than you'd pay at Walmart after your 10% discount.

This is probably also true.

I suspect the device has the most important role to play though. 

Pretty fascinating- we just played it here in the creative room loudly... I mostly heard Yanny, everyone else mostly heard Laurel. But I still hear both at the same time. 

Kinda fun little experiment. Oh well! 

So, it would not be Ramadan without significant controversy.

There was not a new moon sighting in Arabia (Saudi), so they made an announcement as such around 1:00 PM Halifax time.  Many countries said ... OK.

Not long after that Turkey's Islamic Council (or whatever it's called) accepted a credible moon sighting by a credible moon observer ... most counties have designated moon observers.  Turkey declared Ramadan 1 to be today (16th) and many countries in Europe and the US accepted this ... there are 14 countries around the world that are on Ramadan 1 today ... not Canada.

The mosques in Halifax discussed what to do.  With the Global Sighting Method to determine the start of months the whole world is supposed to accept a credible and accepted sighting in any country.  So, we were supposed to follow the lead of Turkey, as some did.  No one really likes to go against Arabia (Saudi), but we are supposed to and they really should have changed their ruling.  There was time.  The fast starts at dawn, so there were several hours.

The mosque where I most often attend Friday Prayers in the Halifax neighbourhood of Fairview wanted to follow Turkey in what would have been the most awesome FU moment ever, which I would have loved.  The Imam who is very nice and really wants to grow our community and does not want controversy in the end decided not to start Ramadan today.

So, tomorrow is officially Ramadan 1 in Halifax, which starts at sunset today ... Islamic days start and end at sunset.  My wife and I started our Ramadan yesterday, as in conversation with the Imam's wife it was almost 100% that Ramadan would start yesterday at sunset.  We don't often pray together due to scheduling, but during Ramadan we make every effort to pray the sunset prayer together and then have our Iftar (breaking the fast).  We prayed the sunset prayer together yesterday and it was awesome.  We were not fasting, so no Iftar.

Tomorrow is the first fasting day and I will start out this Ramadan as I have all the others before it by fasting from non-essential Internet usage.

A good friend, who is familiar with the stressful situation that my wife and I are facing, suggested that to gain support from my friends in the Sabespace community I should rethink that fast.  I do trust this friends advice on anything, especially something like this, as he has been there.  So, I will do that and if I do need to vent and gain some support from you guys I will stop by from time to time and make up those fasting days as prescribed in the Qur'an.  If I do not show up then it is most likely that everything is going, at least, OK.

I am not sure how active I will be today, as I am already in prime Ramadan focus.

Much Love,

NS

Wishing you & the wife the best for the next month. We'll try to have your back.