The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

"It doesn't affect me." That's a problem. We're at war as a country and no one can tell the difference from peacetime. 1984 stuff, there. All of us should be sacrificing, not just the military members and families. Bring back the draft. Cut Internet service from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. People will start watching the news.

I was more affected by the fact that I used "effect" instead of "affect" than I was of the news of bombing Syria. Am I a horrible person?... nope.

The US has been bombing the middle east my whole life. It doesn't matter who gets elected, or which party is in control: the US bombs the middle east. It's what we do. How am I supposed to invest emotional capital in something so monolithic, right now, in 2018?

I think that is PA’s point though. We have figured out how to wage war and not have it affect the vast majority of people, and that is a bad thing. We don’t care because it doesn’t impact us. It should impact us so we care.

"It doesn't affect me." That's a problem. We're at war as a country and no one can tell the difference from peacetime. 1984 stuff, there. All of us should be sacrificing, not just the military members and families. Bring back the draft. Cut Internet service from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. People will start watching the news.

For me, the "It doesn't affect me" mindset is more from the sense that our military power is so superior to everyone else that there isn't really a realistic threat that this bombing/engagement/war will pose any risk to me or my community. Multiple decades ago a war or military effort would have serious loss of life on both sides, and that would make the stakes on the home front more meaningful and real, since you would need to change your lifestyle by not using certain products or temporarily making ammunition, or would see the loss of life impact in your community.

As terrible as it is, our military strength means that most engagements have catastrophic death to our enemies and minimal losses on our side. It's a bad analogy, but it is like asking me to worry about whether the Harlem Globetrotters are going to lose against the Generals. I don't mean to be insensitive, but it is tough to be overly concerned when the odds are so stacked in your favor.

I think that is PA’s point though. We have figured out how to wage war and not have it affect the vast majority of people, and that is a bad thing. We don’t care because it doesn’t impact us. It should impact us so we care.

Not sure I agree.

My car got broken into last night. That was nice to wake up to. Glove box and console were rifled through. They left my baseball cleats, ski helmet, and sunglasses, and CDs. They took.......my fcucking digital tire pressure gauge! What the !?!? Fcuking crack heads.

My car got broken into last night. That was nice to wake up to. Glove box and console were rifled through. They left my baseball cleats, ski helmet, and sunglasses, and CDs. They took.......my fcucking digital tire pressure gauge! What the ######!?!? Fcuking crack heads.

Proper tire inflation is key to a successful getaway??

Proper tire inflation is key to a successful getaway??

I told a guy at work about it and the conversation followed like so:

Him: imagine if you'd had a gun!

Me: ummm

Him: well, if you'd caught him breaking into your car you could've shot him.

Me: yeah, a $5 tire pressure gauge is definitely worth someone's life. That's totally reasonable.

These are the people we deem fit for concealed carry permit. Freaking idiots! They could have stolen every single thing inside the car and I'd have been out $150 bucks and about an hour of my time. Now, I know I think pretty highly of myself, but I'm not sure I think that highly that I can kill a guy for a minor inconvenience.

I told a guy at work about it and the conversation followed like so:

Him: imagine if you'd had a gun!

Me: ummm

Him: well, if you'd caught him breaking into your car you could've shot him.

Me: yeah, a $5 tire pressure gauge is definitely worth someone's life. That's totally reasonable.

These are the people we deem fit for concealed carry permit. Freaking idiots! They could have stolen every single thing inside the car and I'd have been out $150 bucks and about an hour of my time. Now, I know I think pretty highly of myself, but I'm not sure I think that highly that I can kill a guy for a minor inconvenience.

Indeed that seems a bit extreme! I think my wife and dog would have to be in the car for me to adopt his mindset. Fortunately, I let them sleep inside :P

My buddy had his car broken into recently. He did have a gun, but it was in the car and it was taken along with his laptop and some work books. PD obviously took that break-in a little more seriously than your average. They caught the guy and my buddy got all his stuff back. 

Indeed that seems a bit extreme! I think my wife and dog would have to be in the car for me to adopt his mindset. Fortunately, I let them sleep inside :P

My buddy had his car broken into recently. He did have a gun, but it was in the car and it was taken along with his laptop and some work books. PD obviously took that break-in a little more seriously than your average. They caught the guy and my buddy got all his stuff back.

Yeah, don't leave guns in cars.

Illegal in NY.

And I think most of those folks talk tough, but when it comes right down to it, you've got to be a bit of a sociopath to shoot someone stealing trinkets.

I don’t think it’s illegal here in OH. Certainly doesn’t mean it’s best practice, though.

Hey duda,

Concerning your post in the Friday thread ...

No sweat.  I can help you out ...  :flirt:

Actually, if you are in a refund position April 30th means nothing.  That said, you should file this weekend.  Especially with things running smoothly at CRA (no server issues this year yet) and April 30th being a Monday, there is very little chance of an extension beyond mid-night (local time) April 30th.

May the force be with you ...

I finished my motorcycle license waiver course today. I thought it would be an easy way to finally get my license and ride legally. It was not easy. Crazy slow speed maneuvering stuff on a little 250. It poured rain on Saturday and snowed today. Two people dumped their bike on the skills test. Instant failure. I felt really bad. They were good dudes. I passed though.

I’m amazed by how nervous I was. I’ve been riding all my life. I make critical dual crane picks of a quarter million pounds and keep my cool. Very bizarre that I was so rattled by this skills test. The two guys that dumped the bike were also long time riders.

I will admit that this practice in the worst of weather was good for me. I learned things.

I finished my motorcycle license waiver course today. I thought it would be an easy way to finally get my license and ride legally. It was not easy. Crazy slow speed maneuvering stuff on a little 250. It poured rain on Saturday and snowed today. Two people dumped their bike on the skills test. Instant failure. I felt really bad. They were good dudes. I passed though.

I’m amazed by how nervous I was. I’ve been riding all my life. I make critical dual crane picks of a quarter million pounds and keep my cool. Very bizarre that I was so rattled by this skills test. The two guys that dumped the bike were also long time riders.

I will admit that this practice in the worst of weather was good for me. I learned things.

When I took the course years ago the experienced guys in my class also had the hardest time, so you're not alone. Us noobs mostly did better on the exams, especially the slow speed stuff. The instructor's explanation was that old habits are hard to unlearn.

Glad you passed.

When I took the course years ago the experienced guys in my class also had the hardest time, so you're not alone. Us noobs mostly did better on the exams, especially the slow speed stuff. The instructor's explanation was that old habits are hard to unlearn.

Glad you passed.

I was actually the star of the practice drills. I absolutely choked on test. I Lehnered it man.

I drove with my permit until I was pulled over one day doing 90 in a 45 and had no license....name dropping got me off and back home, I went and took my license test the following week, easy peezy, instructor followed my bike through the streets of Orchard Park, had me do some basic turns and maneuvers and that was all.... At the end he say "you've been riding a while haven't you" lol, I chuckled and said yes, the only reason I'm here is that I was pulled over and got lucky, we chuckled and I was on my way.

While sitting in the hot tub I notice a very tiny spider laying his death snare. Very meticulous and steady is the game. Round and round. I’m wondering how successful this endeavor will be. Suddenly an equally small fly hits the trap! Tiny spider moves swiftly. BAM! Got him!

Tiny spider goes back again, around and around, this time apparently winding up the death snare.

Now I’m wondering if I’m tiny spider, or am I tiny fly? Either way, I’m going round and round.