The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Local town park has fireworks tonight. Bandstand with American Legion band playing patriotic music. Several thousand people here already. Early happy 4th. I was married on the 4th 35 years ago. My parents were married on the 4th in 1945. Father was in full WW 2 uniform.  God Bless America. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 1

I have OCD, a very messy wife and two cats.

Today the robot vac took flight.

The one cat is terrified, the other slightly concerned.

I LOVE it! It ran around like a moron for an hour and a half but it is learning the landscape, and teaching Mrs. iT the value of tidiness.

TIDY HOME! OCD HEAVEN!

• Haha (+1) 2

A shot in the dark here. Quite literally. Has anyone here found a good alternative to CPAP? I can't wear this thing. It's a peculiar form of torture. The face mask was a clear no-go. The nasal mask is better, but when you breathe through your mouth with it on, it's scary. The straps, the pressure, the psychology of knowing your mouth and/or nose are covered are too much.

Edited by PASabreFan

34 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A shot in the dark here. Quite literally. Has anyone here found a good alternative to CPAP? I can't wear this thing. It's a peculiar form of torture. The face mask was a clear no-go. The nasal mask is better, but when you breathe through your mouth with it on, it's scary. The straps, the pressure, the psychology of knowing your mouth and/or nose are covered are too much.

Is an Iron Lung an option?  It wouldn't affect your face.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/1/2023 at 8:30 AM, SwampD said:

We definitely don’t have that problem. I ordered something at 9:15 am on Wednesday. It was on my porch at 3:30 the same day. Wtf?

On 7/1/2023 at 4:39 PM, Doohickie said:

I ordered something yesterday afternoon and it hit my front porch 15 minutes ago.

Depends on where you are. In Philly, we'd order stuff at 4PM and it'd be on the doorstep at 7AM. That was when Amazon was doing the gig thing and we lived in a townhouse farm. I assume the early bird got up, picked up all the deliveries since they're all in one place. In Ithaca, it's never that quick, although it's still within two days for most things.

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's as annoying as hell, but I did get used to it. I will say my new one (after the previous was recalled) is way better. Somehow it doesn't feel *as much* like it's trying to kill me.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I assume you tried Breathe Right strips?  They help me.  Don't totally eliminate the snoring but reduces it to the point where my wife no longer speaks of divorce.

I never know exactly where those things are supposed to sit over the bridge of the nose.

On 7/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, PASabreFan said:

Have you looked into the inspire device, I know some people that have had success. I'm not overly familiar with the particulars but it's a small device implanted same day and works without need for the horrendous cpap 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/3/2023 at 11:15 PM, Ogre said:

I have OCD, a very messy wife and two cats.

Today the robot vac took flight.

The one cat is terrified, the other slightly concerned.

I LOVE it! It ran around like a moron for an hour and a half but it is learning the landscape, and teaching Mrs. iT the value of tidiness.

TIDY HOME! OCD HEAVEN!

I don’t have OCD but like a tidy home. Helped my oldest move a while back and the two cats left behind the equivalent of two more in hair under the furniture.

Tough to keep my mouth shut but I don’t want to get a hairball.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, PASabreFan said:

I've had mine for over six months and am still trying to get used to it.   I despise it.  Apparently now I rip it off  after about two hours without realizing it.  Not sure what it's gonna take.   I feel your pain. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Heading to Cozens country this week.

I signed up to work a few weeks in the Yukon, north of Dawson City, along the Dempster highway to the Arctic. It is on my bucket list of places to see, I’d rather be a tourist but someone else footing the bill is OK.
The work is outdoors so I will definitely see some sights.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I signed up to work a few weeks in the Yukon, north of Dawson City, along the Dempster highway to the Arctic. It is on my bucket list of places to see, I’d rather be a tourist but someone else footing the bill is OK.

Fighting fires?

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

39 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Installing poles for new fibre optic line.

I checked this on google maps -- wow.  How far up that highway are you going?  (Even if it's not very far, that is still really far North.)

It's interesting that the utility company is spending money on installing fiber optic cable in such a remote and sparsely populated anyway.

In any case that looks awesome. 

56 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I checked this on google maps -- wow.  How far up that highway are you going?  (Even if it's not very far, that is still really far North.)

It's interesting that the utility company is spending money on installing fiber optic cable in such a remote and sparsely populated anyway.

Follow the oil money. I'm not sure what Canada's equivalent to Prudhoe Bay is, but I'm sure it's up there.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/24/2023 at 10:58 AM, nfreeman said:

I think we are a few hours north of Dawson City.

There are only 2 or 3 communities in the 500 mile/ 800 km run.

Federal govt. wanting internet for all.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 2

On 7/24/2023 at 12:58 PM, nfreeman said:

Welcome to BEAD in the United States.  Although I will say, oil companies in the middle of nowhere Texas will pay significant amounts of money to get internet connectivity.  I deal with it all the time.

Not much different than footing the bill to run copper all over the place.. it's finally time for fiber.