The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

I just noticed that my dental floss has an expiration date.  Someone please explain.  

Most likely has to do with not wanting to be held liable for whatever antimicrobial coating / preservative treatment the floss has when that coating / treatment eventually breaks down.

Because you just know that some pinhead will come back to them trying to collect a huge paycheck saying how was anybody to know that storing something next to a toilet for 20 years would be a bad thing.

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Most likely has to do with not wanting to be held liable for whatever antimicrobial coating / preservative treatment the floss has when that coating / treatment eventually breaks down.

Because you just know that some pinhead will come back to them trying to collect a huge paycheck saying how was anybody to know that storing something next to a toilet for 20 years would be a bad thing.

Through an even more pinheaded lawyer.  You're not wrong.

Still.  It's string with wax.

• Agree 1

With all of this talk around here about charity bets and charity sweaters, thought it worth mentioning that you should probably check the local WNY obits on Sunday or Monday to make sure yours truly isn't in them.  Will be playing in the 11 Day Power Play tomorrow and am starting to wonder wtf was going through my head when signing up.  Only playing in a 3 hour session, but my beer league ended in March.  Haven't picked up a hockey stick in anger since. 😉

In case anybody feels a desparate (or even modest) need to donate to a worthy cause benefitting Roswell Park and Camp Good Days among others, send me a PM and can give you the link to sponsor me or the team.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Will be playing in the 11 Day Power Play tomorrow and am starting to wonder wtf was going through my head when signing up.  Only playing in a 3 hour session, but my beer league ended in March.  Haven't picked up a hockey stick in anger since. 😉

What time and what team?  (Just text me if you don't want this to be public.)  I'll try to go!

On 6/21/2023 at 10:16 PM, shrader said:

Driving my wife and son to the airport this morning and seeing two helicopters hovering over the runway… that’s not a comforting sight. 

It's better than seeing them hovering over your house.

Edited by Eleven
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What time and what team?  (Just text me if you don't want this to be public.)  I'll try to go!

It's better than seeing them hovering over your house.

We’re on a flight path for Ft Bragg so we have a lot of interesting stuff fly over the house. Fortunately they never hover. My personal favorite was the convoy of c130s (at least 13 of them) flying over in a line on Election Day in 2020. If it actually was a so called training exercise, they picked the worst possible day. 

On 6/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, shrader said:

We’re on a flight path for Ft Bragg so we have a lot of interesting stuff fly over the house. Fortunately they never hover. My personal favorite was the convoy of c130s (at least 13 of them) flying over in a line on Election Day in 2020. If it actually was a so called training exercise, they picked the worst possible day. 

They don't call it that anymore.  Some Civil War era mumbo jumbo.

They are tearing down statues of General Lee, which is a knee-jerk reaction.

Lincoln wanted to have Lee command the Union forces.  The best General he had.  Lee was a staunch abolitionist and did not own slaves.  He publicly stated that he was against slavery and always was.  Lee's issue was with his home state of Virginia had seceded from the Union and he would not fight against his home state.  He was the best General in that stupid war, but ended up on the losing side only because of the blockade of Southern ports and lack of industry in the south.

How's that for random ramblings?

• Like (+1) 4

The fact that we are erasing history in all of these places just shows how out of touch we really are. There's no one alive that was a slave (basically no one) the Irish don't complain about slavery, neither do the hundreds of other cultures that were enslaved that shape the world we live in Today. It would be different if these things were going on. It's a very United States thing, I don't see paintings of all the monarchs being destroyed in Europe, and some of those dudes were terrible. But here we are, taking down statutes at a cost of over 60k because someone got butthurt about the past that is clearly in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Lincoln wanted to have Lee command the Union forces.  The best General he had.  Lee was a staunch abolitionist and did not own slaves.  He publicly stated that he was against slavery and always was.  Lee's issue was with his home state of Virginia had seceded from the Union and he would not fight against his home state.  He was the best General in that stupid war, but ended up on the losing side only because of the blockade of Southern ports and lack of industry in the south.

People today don't understand that at the time state loyalty superceded national loyalty. Perfect example is that the dead of Gettysburg are buried in plots by state. It was originally proposed to bury all the dead with no regard for which state they were from but this was shot down immediately.

51 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Soooooooo….. literally none of this is true.  Not even remotely.  No basis in anything other than confederate apologia and white-supremacist propaganda.  

I’ll link to one fairly recent article… many are available, along with copious scholarship not beholden to the daughters of the confederacy… 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

That’s enough internet for me today… 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

If anybody gets a chance to play in the 11 Day Power Play, do it.  It's a blast.  And it raises a LOT of money for some very good causes.

Sorry I couldn't get down there this afternoon!  And yes, 11-day is a very legit group.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Sorry I couldn't get down there this afternoon!  And yes, 11-day is a very legit group.

No biggie.  Honestly wouldn't have known if you were there or not.  Tend to be focused on what's going on on the ice and don't really notice who's in the stands.  Probably an artifact of going to the fishbowl (too d*mn old to be getting teeth replaced); too tough to look through 2 panes of glass.  😉

15 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The fact that we are erasing history in all of these places just shows how out of touch we really are. There's no one alive that was a slave (basically no one) the Irish don't complain about slavery, neither do the hundreds of other cultures that were enslaved that shape the world we live in Today. It would be different if these things were going on. It's a very United States thing, I don't see paintings of all the monarchs being destroyed in Europe, and some of those dudes were terrible. But here we are, taking down statutes at a cost of over 60k because someone got butthurt about the past that is clearly in the past. 

I agree with all this.  

What people should be focusing their attention on much more so than the past is the present.  Their energies should be dedicated to eliminate the slavery that exists in many parts of the world to this day.

Every year Canada brings in many foreigh 'workers' to work the farms all over this 'great' country.  It's back breaking work for basically slave labour wages.  And that is publicly known.  In most of Africa and Asia slaves are used in all labour and as payment of family and business debts.  Slaves were used to build the infrastructure in Qatar for the recent World Cup there and no one cared.

If slavery was so terrible in the Western world that we need to erase it from history then what about slavery today?

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...

Yeah, we should keep up the memorials to people and battles that fought to keep the right to enslave people and count them at a 3/5ths rate.

its not tearing down history.  It is tearing down memorials to people who fought for something that was truly atrocious.   Tearing down history is banning the books in schools that shed light upon the truly heinous way we treated slaves, and the freed slaves and their descendants for decades after.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2