The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

My mother- and father-in-law are getting long in the tooth so to speak.  My FIL is in a nursing home for dementia care.  They have a 100 acre farm outside of Albany and it's become apparent that the time has come for them to sell.

My sister-in-law and her hubby sold their house and bought a house closer to the farm, and all one one floor. They did both closings Tuesday. So they sold this house:
image.thumb.png.b52535ce715d45e94fbb33720015c42b.png

And bought this one:
image.png.0c4e4e4603e9854e94c906cc3a9ac82b.png

The new house is:

• 7 miles from my mother- and father-in-law's farm (closer into town, in a very quiet suburban/rural area)
  • 10 miles from the nursing home where my father-in-law is (the farm was 15 miles from the nursing home)
  • closer to the supermarket and other shopping than the farm was
  • 5 miles from my sis-in-law's hubby's job (his old commute was 20 miles)
  • a longer commute for my sis-in-law's job (17 versus 4 miles) but still not that bad
  • 1.6 miles from their daughter's house
  • backs up to a country club golf course and a wooded area leading down to a creek
  • has a two car garage versus no garage at their old house
  • has a full basement; their old house was on a slab
  • has a much bigger yard than their old house

It's really perfect except that they wanted 2 full baths and the new place only has a bath and a half

Now that they've got their new house, my mother-in-law will move in with them and the farm will be on the market. They've been working diligently to get it ready. I'm pretty happy for them; this was a complicated and stressful situation with a lot of moving parts but it's all coming together.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/2/2023 at 1:31 PM, Night Train said:

Heard that earlier today.  Bummer.  

He put on one of the funnest live shows around.  Just everybody having a blast being a beach bum for a day.

RIP Jimmy.

I did a thing today.  Buried a treble hook in the meat of my index finger today. Buried it deep.  I could feel the point of the hook under the skin on the off side.

Caught a nice walleye. I probably put it in the boat while it was a bit too green. I mostly fish out of a kayak, so there isn’t much space with a fish flailing around in the boat.  It managed to hook one of my nylon tackle bags, and trying to get it free it hooked me good as well.  My index finger was fully hooked with one treble, my bag was fully hooked with another, and the fish was still on and doing its best to get free.  I am pretty sure Websters uses that exact example to define a “predicament “.

The fish unhooked itself thankfully.  I, however, was securely attached.  The bag was going to need a bit of surgery to get it loose from the treble hook, and there was no way I was paddling 2-3 miles back to the boat launch with a tackle bag and flicker shad attached to my hand.  I grabbed a pair of pliers, put downward pressure on the hook shank, and gave the hook a hard yank.  Obscenities were uttered loudly.  Some blood was shed.  But I got myself unhooked and didn’t pass out in the process.  In the moment the pain was intense.  Surprisingly, it didn’t hurt too bad after a bit.

What is worse than removing a barbed hook from your hand with a set of pliers?  Waiting 90 minutes to make a donation to our health care system at an urgent care center for a tetanus shot and antibiotics.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Weave said:

I did a thing today.  Buried a treble hook in the meat of my index finger today. Buried it deep.  I could feel the point of the hook under the skin on the off side.

Caught a nice walleye. I probably put it in the boat while it was a bit too green. I mostly fish out of a kayak, so there isn’t much space with a fish flailing around in the boat.  It managed to hook one of my nylon tackle bags, and trying to get it free it hooked me good as well.  My index finger was fully hooked with one treble, my bag was fully hooked with another, and the fish was still on and doing its best to get free.  I am pretty sure Websters uses that exact example to define a “predicament “.

The fish unhooked itself thankfully.  I, however, was securely attached.  The bag was going to need a bit of surgery to get it loose from the treble hook, and there was no way I was paddling 2-3 miles back to the boat launch with a tackle bag and flicker shad attached to my hand.  I grabbed a pair of pliers, put downward pressure on the hook shank, and gave the hook a hard yank.  Obscenities were uttered loudly.  Some blood was shed.  But I got myself unhooked and didn’t pass out in the process.  In the moment the pain was intense.  Surprisingly, it didn’t hurt too bad after a bit.

What is worse than removing a barbed hook from your hand with a set of pliers?  Waiting 90 minutes to make a donation to our health care system at an urgent care center for a tetanus shot and antibiotics.

Shoulda tagged me in! That sounds awful, I've had my fair share of fish hook removals in the ER, they are fun for me 😂😂🐟

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Shoulda tagged me in! That sounds awful, I've had my fair share of fish hook removals in the ER, they are fun for me 😂😂🐟

How would you do it in the ER?  Incisions to free it, or pull it out?

1 hour ago, shrader said:

So when measuring the fish, do you also include your body weight?  That would probably win you a few contests.

They went in freezer bags.  I’m not sure there is any benefit to weighing them if I’m just gonne eat them later.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

How would you do it in the ER?  Incisions to free it, or pull it out?

They went in freezer bags.  I’m not sure there is any benefit to weighing them if I’m just gonne eat them later.

Usually I'll try and push it through and snip past the barb. If that doesn't work, then I'll do a digital block and numb the finger up and make an incision with a scalpel parallel to the hook and then just slide it right out whole.

14 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Usually I'll try and push it through and snip past the barb. If that doesn't work, then I'll do a digital block and numb the finger up and make an incision with a scalpel parallel to the hook and then just slide it right out whole.

Neither of which was how I did it, lol

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Goddam that sucks.

I hooked myself last year fishing for steelies.  I looked at the water, noticed how perfect it was, realized I wasn't going to get too many outings like that and yanked that sumbitch.  Luckily it came out in one pull.

Treble hook though, yikes!

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Glad to hear you are OK, I can’t imagine the pain and the anxiety of removing an imbedded treble hook.

Your story made me think of a lighter moment that a neighbour had told me. He was showing me his vast collection of lures for the multiple species that he angles for. It was an impressive number of lures and I couldn’t begin to think about how much money was spent on this stuff. He ended the tour by saying that many more humans were caught by these lures than fish. He meant it in a different way but your story reminded me of that moment.

21 hours ago, Weave said:

I went kayaking on Friday. Coincidentally, I woke up on Sunday morning having a nightmare of this very scenario, only, once I pushed the barb through from the other side,... there was a second even larger barb to get past. Thankfully, that's when I woke up.😂

• Shocked 1

Looks like we lost a great one.

In conversation with @Thorny his retirement is permanent.

He said that he will lurk and may post some reactions to posts, but he is finished posting.

I am hoping that he changes his mind.  After all @LabattBlue came out of retirement after many years and he still is a force even at his ripe old age.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Looks like we lost a great one.

In conversation with @Thorny his retirement is permanent.

He said that he will lurk and may post some reactions to posts, but he is finished posting.

I am hoping that he changes his mind.  After all @LabattBlue came out of retirement after many years and he still is a force even at his ripe old age.

But why?  Did I miss something?